R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Is this normal when turbo packs up

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 03:46 PM
themarques
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is this normal when turbo packs up

So my turbo decided to say bye by on its birthday (xmas day) ironic, the intake rubber decided to come loose and get sucked into turbo, damaged a few blades.

When I was leaving a friends place it was raining really hard, could hear a strange whistle sound but didnt take much notice, just figured pipe was loose. Got home parked drove it next morning, looked behind me and saw a puff of smoke coming from exhaust..

Drove home opened it up checked the damage,,,

Anyway being that my budget is tight, I decided to strip the car and inspect where this blow of oil was coming from...

Well firstly pieces if the rubber were nicely sitting at the bottom of the intercooler which was filled with oil, took the turbo off with exhaust manifold and damn port 2-3-4 were filled with oil, pulled my plugs same thing caked in oil, figured this is not going to be good...

opened up intake manifold and low and behold oil also sitting inside the chambers on valves that were closed.

So my question is, how to get rid of this oil that has gotten into the pistons. The car starts fine its only if you rev it that you see the smoke.

I checked the coolant to see that no oil was mixin with the coolant, and no coolant loss and that was all ok.

So should I jost spray some carb cleaner down the ports and let it degrease this or is there a better method.

I have cleaned out all the charges pipes and intercooler, and they are not spotless... I just dont want to hydrolock the engine.

I am also planning to pull the oil sump, as I am sure I will find a few more gremlins down there. Any advice on if this is NORMAL WHEN A Turbo blows will be appreciated, or is this some other damage to the head gaskets

Old 12-30-2014, 05:15 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Use a vacuum brake bleeder through the spark plug holes to suck most of the oil out of the chambers. And the stuff in the ports. Use a rag or paper towel to clean up the rest of the stuff that's easily accessible. Dump the oil our of the intercooler, and clean it as best you can with rags and carb cleaner. (Yes, that mean taking it out of the car.) Clean up the rest of the piping as well as you can.

Oil is supposed to get into the combustion chambers. You're fine as long as they don't hyrdo-lock, so you can just start the motor up and blow the remaining oil out or burn it up.

When the bearings on a turbo fail, it is normal for them to dump oil into the intake. Sounds like yours may have been going for a while, though.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:43 PM
themarques
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Slave to Felines
Use a vacuum brake bleeder through the spark plug holes to suck most of the oil out of the chambers. And the stuff in the ports. Use a rag or paper towel to clean up the rest of the stuff that's easily accessible. Dump the oil our of the intercooler, and clean it as best you can with rags and carb cleaner. (Yes, that mean taking it out of the car.) Clean up the rest of the piping as well as you can.

Oil is supposed to get into the combustion chambers. You're fine as long as they don't hyrdo-lock, so you can just start the motor up and blow the remaining oil out or burn it up.

When the bearings on a turbo fail, it is normal for them to dump oil into the intake. Sounds like yours may have been going for a while, though.
Thanks for that info, one last question would you recommend dropping the oil sump or just draining it?

Old 12-31-2014, 05:55 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by themarques
Thanks for that info, one last question would you recommend dropping the oil sump or just draining it?
I don't think there is any reason to drop the oil pan. Just drain the oil out and look for anything shiny. I'll doubt you'll find anything though. Your situation is pretty typical for when a turbo oil seal goes but it sounds like you've had it going out for a while now.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:23 AM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
If you find any chunks of anything when draining the oil, then drop the pan. Glitter is not chunks--it may not be a good sign, but it is not an indicator of large pieces in the sump.