R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Muffler replaced with chamber, but ... RESONATOR?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 07:21 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Muffler replaced with chamber, but ... RESONATOR?

Hi friend,

A few weeks ago I went to the store and replaced the OEM muffler with a "chamber" (to avoid installing a straight pipe).
My car is a Mini Cooper non-S R56 with a single exhaust system:

OEM:
CAT >> PIPE >> RESONATOR >> PIPE >> MUFFLER >> PIPE >> TAIL PIPE
TODAY:
CAT >> PIPE >> RESONATOR >> PIPE >> CHAMBER >> PIPE >> TAIL PIPE

Now I'm in the middle of a new project, where I'm adding a second exhaust pipe (on the left) and securely I will be installing a new "chamber" for the second pipe too.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...i-thought.html

Today (with the chamber and one pipe) the sound is not bad, is deeper especially in the 3rd gear decel at ~3500 RPM.
I'm just glad that I don't hear ONLY the engine noise

Honestly I'm not looking to generate more noise. I love the sound of the BMWs when it are idling (I know, I know, sorry, it depends on the engine, mainfold, cats, pipe size and more, it is clear).

I'm seriously considering taking the opportunity of the second pipe installation (and it chamber) for replacing the OEM RESONATOR (it is in the middle of the pipe) with a chamber too (again, avoiding straight pipes, since I could read that is a good idea only if you like "drone").

FUTURE:
CAT >> PIPE >> CHAMBER >> PIPE >> CHAMBER >> PIPE >> TAIL PIPE
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _>> PIPE >> CHAMBER >> PIPE >> TAIL PIPE

Someone with experience deleting/replacing the RES or the RES and MUFFLER on a Mini R56 non-S?

Old 04-02-2015, 11:02 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts
So basically your just wanting a straight pipe from the cat all the way back out to the exhaust tips? You say you are wanting to put in "chambers"....can you explain that a little more? Are you just gutting out a muffler or something? Are you making these chambers, or buying them?

Old 04-02-2015, 06:39 PM
miniuy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by IQRaceworks
So basically your just wanting a straight pipe from the cat all the way back out to the exhaust tips? You say you are wanting to put in "chambers"....can you explain that a little more? Are you just gutting out a muffler or something? Are you making these chambers, or buying them?
Ian,

No, I would not have a straight pipe from the cat to the exhaust tips.

Currently, the muffler was replaced completely and there is a chamber in it place. The "chamber" is (basically) a piece of pipe wider than the OEM exhaust pipe.
Something like this:

I have options to select the "chamber" (the length, the width, the start and the end position) and definitely no, I don't build chambers.
It are purchased and installed in my favorite exhaust shop.

Anyway I want the sound for my car exhaust as close as possible to what I want and not to what the store tech likes. This is the point.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:47 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts
Seems like a lot of time, trouble, and money just to attempt to "shape" your exhaust tone. You would probably gain more power from a full aftermarket exhaust......But if that's what you want to do...go for it.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:07 PM
miniuy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by IQRaceworks
Seems like a lot of time, trouble, and money just to attempt to "shape" your exhaust tone. You would probably gain more power from a full aftermarket exhaust......But if that's what you want to do...go for it.
No, it is not a lot of time. 10 minutes. It's just cut the RES and put a chamber.

Since I have only experience with a MUFFLER delete sound, and I just can see YouTube videos for "only resonator delete", "only muffler delete", "100% stright pipe" and it are not examples of my intentions, I'm asking for an opinion about replacing the RES and MUFFLER with chambers on a Cooper non-S.

My main concern is the "drone", so, I know if I replace RES and MUFFLER with a single straight pipe, "drone" will be waiting for me.

It is possible to avoid drone by using chambers instead of a straight pipe pieces? I know the sound will be better BUT ...

Old 04-04-2015, 10:23 AM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Resonators work in combination with mufflers by having different internal chambers. If you are replacing the resonator with a different chamber, try not to have the same size chamber as the one that you replaced the muffler with.

Drone comes from a resonating frequency (or group of frequencies). the resonator is tuned by changing the volume of the chamber to change the frequency of resonance to something less objectionable.

I would just change the parts that you want, but keep the old stuff in case you make a change that you don't like. Then you can go back to the way that it was.

Mike

Old 04-04-2015, 01:14 PM
miniuy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mbwicz
I would just change the parts that you want, but keep the old stuff in case you make a change that you don't like. Then you can go back to the way that it was.
Yes Mike, totally agree. Just asking for someone with it experience here.
My OEM muffler is with me since, in example, a muffler re install maybe an option to sell the car to a "normal" person

Thank you for your explanation about the function (RES + MUFFLERs).
It is very important to know what is possible and what is not by changing a simple piece.

I will let you know

Old 04-08-2015, 08:47 PM
miniuy
5th Gear
Almost done!

Old 04-11-2015, 08:54 PM
miniuy
5th Gear
First Test Sound

Hi there!

Here the project status:

- Center resonator deleted
- Rear muffler deleted
- All pipe replaced with 2 inch pipe
- Dual functional end pipes added (left pipe added)
- One chamber before each tail pipe
- Tuper tail pipes

BEFORE
OEM CAT >>> OEM PIPE >>> OEM RES >>> OEM PIPE >>> OEM MUFLER >>> OEM TAIL PIPE

AFTER
OEM CAT >>> 2'' PIPE >>> 2'' PIPE RIGHT >>> CUSTOM CHAMBER >>> TUPER TAIL PIPE
.......................................2'' PIPE LEFT >>> CUSTOM CHAMBER >>> TUPER TAIL PIPE

The Exhaust Shop tech is in love with this change and the current car sound. He droves the car few kilometers so I could talked about what still needs an adjustment . He simply said he would not change anything but it is my choice (I know, really I like the sportier sound but not the one that is everytime calling the attention of all people around when running at city/highway cruising speed).
Let me the control of that by revering !!!

I also notice that there is some drone when I'm running between 2800-3100 RPMs. So, the job is not complete for me. I need to delete the drone by some way.

I want a sound not as louder as today it is but deeper (more or equal is OK).

I'm in love with the new reverb and it pops (it is just a Mini Cooper non-S, don't forget that).

Now I'm evaluating the following (not as louder as today but deeper or actual deep sound without drone):

a) Cherry bomb fiberglass on the place where the OEM resonator was
b) J pipe on the main straight pipe
c) A J pipe before the tail pipe (before the chambers)
D) your suggestions!

Last edited by miniuy; 04-12-2015 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Video embed correction
Old 04-12-2015, 09:48 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
Old 04-12-2015, 09:58 AM
mtechnik2
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deleting the second cat and resonator but leaving the muffler does wonders for the exhaust note, plus no drone.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:13 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mtechnik2
Deleting the second cat and resonator but leaving the muffler does wonders for the exhaust note, plus no drone.
There is not second cat in Cooper non-s (it is possible?)
Main cat (only one?) is still there and it will be there forever.

When you say "leaving the muffler" that means I should install an aftermarket muffler in the main pipe, at each end pipe or your are talking about the OEM muffler?

Old 04-12-2015, 01:24 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
the number of cats depends on the place the car was shipped to when NEW....
US cars usually get 2...Euro cars get 1...
not sure for Latin/south America...

Old 04-12-2015, 07:15 PM
miniuy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
the number of cats depends on the place the car was shipped to when NEW....
US cars usually get 2...Euro cars get 1...
not sure for Latin/south America...
Shipped from Europe! (you can always check this with your VIN in your hands).
And there is only 1 cat. I don't know if because it is a euro Mini or because it is a Cooper non-s ...

I didn't know Cooper non-S made in US has 2 cats due US emission standards.
Nice to know.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:35 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
After some research and talking with exhaust shop tech we will be starting by installing several resonators on the place where the OEM resonator was.
Starting with a smaller res

There is no additional charge for changing the resonator, just the difference between resonators prices.

That's good, it will be a real "test day"

Old 04-13-2015, 05:25 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Why not start with the factory resonator? It is the right price.....

Mike

Old 04-13-2015, 05:39 PM
mtechnik2
2nd Gear
Vibrant ultra quiet resonators are nice.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:26 PM
miniuy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mbwicz
Why not start with the factory resonator? It is the right price.....

Mike
It would be like back to the original config.
I had OEM muffler deleted with OEM resonator installed and one pipe (muffler before right tail pipe). The difference was imperceptible by removing the OEM muffler:

Now I have OEM muffler deleted, OEM resonator deleted and two pipes (mufflers before each tail pipe):

I already know how OEM resonator sounds. It's not what I want (hearing only the engine sound in front of me). I want a little "sportier" sound coming from my exhaust (rear).
Today the sound is louder than expected, some drone is there, but nice on deep tone.

I'm just looking for perfection

Old 04-13-2015, 06:51 PM
miniuy
5th Gear
Vibrant ultra quiet resonators are nice.
Yes, I could see many good comments about it on the web!
Researching deeper I could check for 2'' Magnaflow, Flowmaster and Dynomax resonators too.

Do you have any experience with Ultra Quiet?
Is there any difference between Ultra Quiet and Bottle Style?

Since I'm not in the US, I have just one chance to do the right choice by buying it through internet.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:01 PM
mtechnik2
2nd Gear
I use vibrant ultra quiets on the majority of the custom exhaust that we build. Never had a complaint, extremely high quality piece and stainless welds so sexy.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:24 PM
miniuy
5th Gear
I use vibrant ultra quiets on the majority of the custom exhaust that we build. Never had a complaint, extremely high quality piece and stainless welds so sexy.
Really you are almost convincing me! Also I can see it is the only one with good comments related to the effective drone elimination.

Sorry for the dumb question: Can be an Ultra Quiet 2.25'' (i.e.: 1140) installed, welded and sealed without any sound/performance problem over on a 2'' pipe? (0.25'' difference).

Thank you for your time and help!
I think the search and the decision has finished with your recommendation

Old 04-14-2015, 08:04 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
I have an additional question!

Today I have installed two mufflers before each tail pipe (same as Cherry Bomb glasspack technology and shape but not Cherry Bomb brand).

Something like this:

Do you recommend replacing it for some particular brand/model so I could improve the actual deep tone without affecting exhaust flow?

It would works together with the Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:08 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by miniuy
Really you are almost convincing me! Also I can see it is the only one with good comments related to the effective drone elimination.

Sorry for the dumb question: Can be an Ultra Quiet 2.25'' (i.e.: 1140) installed, welded and sealed without any sound/performance problem over on a 2'' pipe? (0.25'' difference).

Thank you for your time and help!
I think the search and the decision has finished with your recommendation
the difference would technically disrupt the flow. and it would lower the tone since you are slowing down the gas flow when it hits that area. performance difference, not that you could tell on the engine. as for welding, either the 2 inch would have to be flared out, or an adapter in place for welding, I don't think that you would lay a 1/8th bead around the pipe without blowing holes in the material

Old 04-14-2015, 11:02 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Saltysalt
the difference would technically disrupt the flow. and it would lower the tone since you are slowing down the gas flow when it hits that area. performance difference, not that you could tell on the engine. as for welding, either the 2 inch would have to be flared out, or an adapter in place for welding, I don't think that you would lay a 1/8th bead around the pipe without blowing holes in the material
I was thinking on insert the pipe on both sides of the resonator (pipe is 0.25 inch smaller than resonator) and just weld it ...

Old 04-16-2015, 01:58 PM
miniuy
5th Gear
Two days ago the exhaust shop tech installed a glasspack chamber in the same place where the OEM resonator was.
The glasspack chamber installed as "resonator" is the same that the installed after each end pipe.
Then this is the exhaust config today:

Cat > PIPE > Generic glassfiber chamber 1 > PIPE > "V" PIPE > PIPE > Generic glassfiber chamber 2 > tail pipe
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . PIPE > Generic glassfiber chamber 3 > tail pipe

Now the sound isn't so loud (great!) ,some drone is gone (great!), some drone is still there under low RPM (bad), and now there is not more "pops" (I miss it ).

I will be replacing the "Generic glassfiber chamber 1" with Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator, so, I know that the drone will be totally fixed.

The question is:

Do you think it would be a good sound config to replace "Generic glassfiber chamber 2" and "Generic glassfiber chamber 3" with Cherrybomb Glasspack bottle mufflers (working together with the Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator)?

Last edited by miniuy; 04-16-2015 at 06:02 PM.

Quick Reply: R56 Muffler replaced with chamber, but ... RESONATOR?