R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 SMOKE from engine - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 08:22 PM
Plafnd
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SMOKE from engine - HELP

Hi!

Few days ago, I had the ignition coil that failed. Replaced it and today I had a lot of smoke from the engine. I don't think the ignition coil is for something but I was wondering, I have the power steering warning light that goes on and off right after sometimes when my car is moving hard like an hard acceleration or braking.

Can it come from the steering pump? (My steering is totally fine, not harder than usual)

Or is it something else? Today was the first hot day after the winter and I had an oil leak this winter, so could it be just the oil on the exhaust manifold. It was a lot of smoke. But the smoke is visible only when the car is stopped, not getting airflow. The radiator fan is blowing air normally.

Is it the thermostat? My coolant is right up the minim but fine. I'm really wondering. No check engine light on so far.

Hope I'll get an answer from you guys soon.
Cheers!? Thanks

MINI COOPER R56 JUSTA - 2008

Old 04-02-2015, 08:31 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
The color of the oil is important, blue is oil, white grey is coolant or turbo, you don't have the latter. I think you might have bad valve stem seals for which BMW's seems famous for. You have an oil leak for sure. You don't have a steering pump, it's electronic.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:46 AM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Is it coming out of the engine bay, or out of the tailpipe? It sounds more like it's coming from the engine bay.

If it is, then you have a leak somewhere. Most stuff that can smoke in the engine bay will only do so for a short while before the stuff burns off--unless there is a very large amount of that stuff, which should be obvious if you look around. So chances are that the "stuff" is being replenished regularly or constantly, which means you have a leak.

Get it to where it smokes, then hop out and check in the engine bay for where the smoke is coming from. Hopefully that will help you localize it. You can sniff the smoke to see if it's coolant or not; if it smells sweet then it is.

Old 04-04-2015, 01:00 PM
Plafnd
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good aft guys!

So after multiple checks, it is only the oil that was leaking. It was going on the catalytic converter and burning with the 75 degrees day we got two days ago! I went to a professional cleaning engine service this morning, making it brand new. I fixed the oil leak, which was the oil pressure switch (such a small part for all the problems. Georgia is now functioning like a charm with an shining engine.

Thanks for the help guys!