R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Fuel Injector Flush/Induction Service?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 10:55 AM
Gepetto
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Injector Flush/Induction Service?

So I have a 2013 Just a with 18,600 miles. Took car in Friday for the "covered" maintenance to the dealer (oil, air filter, brake flush). Instead, I got fuel injector flush and induction (without being verbally advised of it when I was written up) and ended up costing me almost 400$. Yesterday when I picked it up the kid who took my payment said it was recommended but not covered. I think it's bogus, but I needed my car so I paid and left.

Anyone have this issue? Are either of these things necessary? I can't imagine a non-turbo engine having carbon or injector issues this early (even with GDI).

Thoughts?

Old 04-05-2015, 01:44 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 571 Likes on 487 Posts
They have no right to do that, you've been screwed. You need to have a talk with the GM of the dealership and get your money back. What dealer? People need to know of this kind of crap upfront.

If you paid by credit card, start a chargeback dispute, that will get things moving at the stealership.

Old 04-05-2015, 02:34 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Recently had a similar issue where the dealer performed some maintenance I didn't agree to, the dealer made it right and refunded me. The dealer I go through has a+ service though, talk to the manager and I'm sure they will make it right.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:25 PM
Gepetto
1st Gear
Well, it was Habberstad Mini on Long Island. I haven't had any problems with them before (granted I've only had the car a short time). This sorta pissed me off. Apparently the person who took the payment was very sorry about my not knowing what was actually written up and will have the service manager contact me on Monday.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:28 PM
Gepetto
1st Gear
But I'm also wondering if what they did was actually a good maintenance procedure that I'm just unaware of on modern engines (I don't buy new cars very often…), or if it is just a cash cow for them that is unnecessary with a low mileage car.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:49 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gepetto
So I have a 2013 Just a with 18,600 miles. Took car in Friday for the "covered" maintenance to the dealer (oil, air filter, brake flush). Instead, I got fuel injector flush and induction (without being verbally advised of it when I was written up) and ended up costing me almost 400$. Yesterday when I picked it up the kid who took my payment said it was recommended but not covered. I think it's bogus, but I needed my car so I paid and left.

Anyone have this issue? Are either of these things necessary? I can't imagine a non-turbo engine having carbon or injector issues this early (even with GDI).

Thoughts?
This is 100% BS service.
You should go back, ask for the manager, and demand your money back!

Here is all you need to know about "induction" service:
http://www.dallasnews.com/business/c...e-of-money.ece

Fuel flushes through injectors during the course of operation, so unless they removed the injectors (highly unlikely), they just added some $5 worth of chemicals into the gas tank. And billed you for $400 - my definition of a fluff job. Or they could have pulled and rebuild the injectors, but I've never heard of anyone doing that without having diagnosed a serious problem with them in the first place.

a

Old 04-05-2015, 09:31 PM
Gepetto
1st Gear
Thanks for the info afadeev. You can't go wrong with Click and Clack! I was thinking the same thing. I already use Techron about once every 3k miles. While GDI engines are slightly more complex than regular injection (as far as fuel getting to the valves), I agree - I've never heard of a car needing it this early. And I've noticed no improvement whatsoever - the car is the same as before. Which is to say, it drives like a new car. (Because it sorta is).

Old 04-06-2015, 07:47 AM
devicemanager
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would have asked for the service manager before paying and leaving. You could have requested a loaner due to their error as well.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:07 AM
Gepetto
1st Gear
I already had their loaner and was bringing it back...guess they gotta make you pay for that free loaner one way or another lol

Old 04-06-2015, 11:40 AM
Gepetto
1st Gear
For those of you on the edge of your seats about this, here is what the service advisor said to my email questioning this fuel inejctor/induction service:

"The fuel injection and or induction cleanings are done at 15k or once a year. They are not a factory recommendation just like your tire rotations and wheel alignments. They are preventive maint. By the time you would notice a problem with carbon buildup it would then probably need a carbon blast with walnut shells, we perform injection/induction cleanings to prevent this."

Of course, still sounds questionable to me - especially since I use Techron. The advisor did go on to apologize and to make it right (we'll see what that means) and even let me pick out an accessory for my car at no charge (a very nice gesture). But I am waiting for final resolution.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:49 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Sad to say that dealership is close to my hometown. What a sleazy dealership.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:32 PM
Gepetto
1st Gear
You ever had bad experiences with them in the past?

Old 04-06-2015, 12:44 PM
devicemanager
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Sad to say that dealership is close to my hometown. What a sleazy dealership.
I concur. Preventative or not it's an optional paid service to which you must agree to before the work is performed. It would be cheaper to have a walnut blast when it comes time (~30k) than to pay roughly $400 for a can of BGK44 + dealer labor every 15k or 1 yr when you can diy for $20.

FWIW I read that if you throw the proper code while under warranty MINI will cover the blast.

Last edited by devicemanager; 04-06-2015 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:40 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
For those of you on the edge of your seats about this, here is what the service advisor said to my email questioning this fuel inejctor/induction service:

"The fuel injection and or induction cleanings are done at 15k or once a year. They are not a factory recommendation just like your tire rotations and wheel alignments. They are preventive maint. By the time you would notice a problem with carbon buildup it would then probably need a carbon blast with walnut shells, we perform injection/induction cleanings to prevent this."

Of course, still sounds questionable to me - especially since I use Techron. The advisor did go on to apologize and to make it right (we'll see what that means) and even let me pick out an accessory for my car at no charge (a very nice gesture). But I am waiting for final resolution.
More B.S.

Cleaning fuel injectors has no impact on carbon buildup that effects intake valves (in direct injection engines fuel does not wash over intake valves, as it is injected directly into the cylinder).

Email is not working - go to the manager to complain in person, and/or stop payment on the transaction with your credit card company citing fraud.

a

Old 04-06-2015, 07:14 PM
Gepetto
1st Gear
Originally Posted by afadeev
More B.S.

Cleaning fuel injectors has no impact on carbon buildup that effects intake valves (in direct injection engines fuel does not wash over intake valves, as it is injected directly into the cylinder).

Email is not working - go to the manager to complain in person, and/or stop payment on the transaction with your credit card company citing fraud.

a
Exactly what I was thinking. I can't go in person as it's too time consuming, but if I don't hear from them tomorrow I'll have to escalate it with a phone call demanding a refund. If that doesn't work, then...

Old 04-06-2015, 07:25 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
make a stink....
tell them you will call mini usa....post on twitter, facebook, pintrist, etc...all with their tricks....
you need your $$$$back NOW.
they simply tried to milk you like a cow....figured you would not fight it, and they would get paid $$$$ for a simple HUGE markup service.......

Old 04-06-2015, 07:30 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
and why use a $400 treatment at your expense when the cure is free if you are under warranty....and if out of warranty... the fix is about the same as the "preventive" treatment....just crazy stupid.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:46 AM
Gepetto
1st Gear
They just offered me to pick out any accessory I want in the amount they charged me ($390) AND to do a full detail of my car. It's not a bad deal at all, but I really just want my money back. I do my own car detailing and I don't need any accessories right now…though I would like the rubber mats...

Old 04-07-2015, 05:55 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Fuel injector flush? That I want to see.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:09 AM
Gepetto
1st Gear
Yes I wonder what that entails…that and the "induction service." It almost sounds naughty…lol

Old 04-07-2015, 07:34 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
They just offered me to pick out any accessory I want in the amount they charged me ($390) AND to do a full detail of my car. It's not a bad deal at all, but I really just want my money back. I do my own car detailing and I don't need any accessories right now…though I would like the rubber mats...
Possible reasons:

1. They just don't like giving money back, makes it seem they did something wrong.

2. A refund triggers a paper trail for the revenue pumping scheme that someone in service is using to make the department look good. They give you a detail which costs them nothing and "steal" a part from inventory that doesn't get noticed until an audit or "never".

Just stand firm that you want your money back.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:17 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
The fact the "part" they are selling you only costs them 50% or so what they sell it for, and the detail guy is paid all day, busy or not....sounds like they still want to give you what amounts to a discount, so it will not set a precedence for giving a refund on a service they did.
If it was a $50 for a bottle of bg44k, I would forgive them....but I bet they bought a mechine....so they are selling the use of it to everybody that walks in as a "revenue enhancement"....
I would be blunt with them....ask for your $$ back...then you can buy your floor mats and have them shipped, and not waste more time.....
Play with snakes...you are going to get bit...
What recourse do you have if the detail guy messes up?!
Fact is they took your $$, and they don't want to give it back...
They are trying to get you u to spend $$ you had not planned on, and keep your $$. Scummy.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:31 AM
Gepetto
1st Gear
I agree. I don't want to spend money and I did reply asking that I'd really just like a refund of the money rather than accessories or a detail. Plus, I'd never let them detail my car (I can do a better job myself), especially after this. The SA replied saying she will find out if that is possible and get back to me.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:43 AM
Euler-Spiral
4th Gear
The bigger issue is what did they actually do I have been told by mini not to clean direct injection injectors by the normal out of car means. They do get a bit of snot on them but nothing that I would pull them for, the injectors seem to be one of the trouble free bits so this is bothersome. If they just ran additive what additive costs $400. Its an issue of weather they even know what they are doing or if they actually did nothing. I would avoid letting them do any work even detailing my car and find another dealer unless they have an explanation confirmed by BMW directly. Its a mess under the manifold and if they are touching anything under there they better know what they are doing.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:50 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Take a look at the Yelp reviews for that dealership, not unusual service that you got. It is a pattern of fraud.

Quick Reply: R56 Fuel Injector Flush/Induction Service?