R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Valve cover bolts- where to get them?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 02:33 PM
fritzo
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valve cover bolts- where to get them?

I changed my valve cover gasket today to fix a small leak, and created two other problems

First, I was torquing one of the center bolts to 9ft/lbs as is recommended and it snapped on me---where can I get a new set of bolts? The nearest Mini dealer is 60 miles away and I can't seem to find any on eBay.

Second- when idling, every 30 seconds or so the engine runs rough for a few seconds, corrects itself, and then everything is fine. The engine light came on too. I thought I got oil in the spark plugs, but they seem to be clean. Could it be a vacuum leak due to the broken bolt?

Thanks for any insight!

Old 04-12-2015, 03:34 PM
05r50
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
You can order online from www.realoem.com orwww.penskeparts.com
Search by your model number/year etc and then find the part for the valve cover.

Old 04-12-2015, 04:10 PM
fritzo
1st Gear
Thanks for the info, the part number really helped.

It drives me crazy when my little guy isn't running right. Hopefully it's just a seal issue!

Old 04-13-2015, 07:15 AM
fritzo
1st Gear
Turns out the boneheads on Amazon sent me the wrong gasket. That'll teach me :( Ordered from ECS this time to make sure I get the right one

Old 04-13-2015, 07:26 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by fritzo
Turns out the boneheads on Amazon sent me the wrong gasket. That'll teach me :( Ordered from ECS this time to make sure I get the right one
Thanks

www.ecstuning.com Select your vehicle or dump in the 11 digit MINI part number without spacers or dashes.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-14-2015, 08:12 AM
timski
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I changed my valve cover gasket today to fix a small leak, and created two other problems

First, I was torquing one of the center bolts to 9ft/lbs as is recommended and it snapped on me---where can I get a new set of bolts? The nearest Mini dealer is 60 miles away and I can't seem to find any on eBay.

Second- when idling, every 30 seconds or so the engine runs rough for a few seconds, corrects itself, and then everything is fine. The engine light came on too. I thought I got oil in the spark plugs, but they seem to be clean. Could it be a vacuum leak due to the broken bolt?

Thanks for any insight!
Did you ever discover the cause of the engine stumble? I realized over the weekend that I have the same issue.
My valve cover is leaking so I thought that may be the issue. (New valve cover gasket in hand)

Old 04-14-2015, 12:26 PM
fritzo
1st Gear
The replacement gasket is still enroute. When installing yours, there are 2 guide tabs in opposite corners. It your gasket's tabs don't match the slots for the tabs, you got the wrong gasket. It will fit, but those slots will leak.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:20 AM
fritzo
1st Gear
I got my ECS gasket on Friday and installed it over the weekend. It's amazing how fast parts that fit go on Took all of 20 minutes to swap out- didn't even have to use any sealant. Threw some new sparkplugs in while I was in there. We're back up to full power w/ no leaks!

Old 04-20-2015, 09:52 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Nice. Congrats on the DIY.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-20-2015, 12:30 PM
timski
4th Gear
I got my ECS gasket on Friday and installed it over the weekend. It's amazing how fast parts that fit go on Took all of 20 minutes to swap out- didn't even have to use any sealant. Threw some new sparkplugs in while I was in there. We're back up to full power w/ no leaks!
Was the engine stumble corrected by replacing the VCG? I have the same rough running stumble at idle.

Bentley says to use glycerin between gasket and mating surface because of potential vibration. Bentley also calls out silicone sealer around half moon gaskets. I am about to replace the VCG and wanted to know what is the best method. I have also read where the factory only puts silicone sealer on the four corners of the cover. Also, some of my cylinder head cover bolts are corroded so just replacing all of them.
And since ECS is probably reading this .......what does ECS ecommend for glycerin and sealer for the VCG?
Loctite 5970? I don't have the MINI TIS and not sure where to look up MINI recommended sealers.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:17 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Its just a prep material they recommend, could not find the OEM part number for that. I don't see a TIS for MINI for the prep either for etk. Maybe I can dig and find something. The Loctite 5970 is for the bottom oil pan R56+ , its used when there is no gasket, it makes the gasket.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:19 PM
fritzo
1st Gear
Originally Posted by timski
Was the engine stumble corrected by replacing the VCG? I have the same rough running stumble at idle.

Bentley says to use glycerin between gasket and mating surface because of potential vibration. Bentley also calls out silicone sealer around half moon gaskets. I am about to replace the VCG and wanted to know what is the best method. I have also read where the factory only puts silicone sealer on the four corners of the cover. Also, some of my cylinder head cover bolts are corroded so just replacing all of them.
And since ECS is probably reading this .......what does ECS ecommend for glycerin and sealer for the VCG?
Loctite 5970? I don't have the MINI TIS and not sure where to look up MINI recommended sealers.
I didn't add any sealer, and it doesn't look like the factory did either. The rough idle was indeed corrected and the engine had it's lost power back. If I get problems with leaks, I'll go back and add some sealer (I have some good copper high-temp stuff that should do the job), but so far so good. Be VERY careful with the bolts. If you torque them past 10lbs they may break.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:40 PM
timski
4th Gear
Yeah the Bentley manual calls out 7.2 lbs. I read some people torquing them to 9 lbs and breaking the head off. Tons of fun. I think I will add a light coat of glycerin under the VCG and a very light ring silicone sealer around the half moon gaskets since I will have it off anyway. I have never had the cover off but I read that if oil leaks past the half moon gasket it would end up somewhere you don't want it - other than down the side of then engine.