R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Trade-in or Sell? - 2007 R56S Connecting Rod Failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 08:54 AM
elliott
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trade-in or Sell? - 2007 R56S Connecting Rod Failure

Hi all,

Cliffs notes version -

- 2007 R56S with 117K miles
- connecting rod and piston failure on cylinder one
- choices are a new engine for more than the car is worth or trade-in for 2015 CM

Looks like we are going with the new CM, but trying to determine if we take the dealer's offer of $1K for our not running 2007 MCS. Ideally we would keep and I would DIY at some point, but money, time, and appetite is against that, including even bringing home and parting out.

Anyone been in a similar situation? Thanks for your thoughts.

elliott

------ full-length below ------

Longtime lurker, as we've had our R56S since newly built, and then delivered in November of 2007, but didn't post much after. Have had our share of problems, but found solutions here, did it myself, or when I wasn't up to it, my indy or sometimes dealer took care of it.

So, Daisy is just past 117K well loved miles. She's mostly my wife's car, with the plan to keep her until whenever (which is why we added most options), and unfortunately started to stumble. Sounded like a timing issue (again, which the chain was replaced just before warranty went out, but we have a few more miles and years this time), and indy suggested that the dealer would be a better place.

Our dealer has been fair with us, and diagnosis was chain busted and needed to be replaced. $2K later, and up and running again (I know, parts cheap, oil check, etc., but it has been a long, cold winter here in WNY). Problem is, take her home and something is still wrong Wife drives to work next day, and no heat with lots of warning lights. Back to the dealer and check for leaks, etc. and turns out to be a minor cooling issue. Get car back and all seems okay. Fix an unrelated exhaust issue, only to have car seem to still leak a bit of oil on exhaust, followed by a non-start. Towed to dealer and the diagnosis is the car won't turn over due to an unrelated broken connecting rod / piston. Damage would be a new engine (2x the car's current value if healthy).

Debating on what to do, and ultimately our young family of four will probably be saying yes to a leased 2015 CM All4S. The two extra doors / access will be nice. Less features and not exactly how we would want it, but makes sense for our situation.

Question is what to do with Daisy? Dealer searched what they would get at auction, and has offered $1K to take it. Totally understand their position, as KBB has it in the $4K range if it didn't need a new engine. I unfortunately don't have the time and space currently to have it sitting around here as I wait to get around to DIY or part it out. It has most options with Xenon, comfort access, LSD, (not Nav), etc., and some new parts - I just put in a new AGM battery, also got a new genuine alternator (as we planned to keep her "forever"), etc. But as mentioned, not sure it is worth the trouble (and "discussion" with the misses, plus it makes her sad) to hassle more than the dealer has offered. We could use top dollar (due to some other costly repairs with our other vehicle), but I'm not naive and know there's a balance.

Anyone else in or has been in a similar situation? Also worried about a possible bill from the dealer for diagnostic if I were to say no, since Daisy is sort of still has her engine parts in her boot! To note, I do trust the dealer and believe that they are being fair and helpful.

Thanks for reading, and sorry about the length.

elliott

Attached Thumbnails Trade-in or Sell? - 2007 R56S Connecting Rod Failure-daisy-front.jpg   Trade-in or Sell? - 2007 R56S Connecting Rod Failure-daisy-rear.jpg   Trade-in or Sell? - 2007 R56S Connecting Rod Failure-daisy-inside.jpg  

Last edited by elliott; 04-14-2015 at 09:01 AM. Reason: pics didn't upload the first time..
Old 04-14-2015, 09:07 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Do you take it to towne mini?
I'd part it out before I took 1000

Old 04-14-2015, 09:24 AM
shreksbrother
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have owned it since new, taken care of it and have service records, it's most definitely worth more than $4k if it was running well (my '07 MCS w/133k miles KBB for $6800 in very good condition).

+1 to 'baymotors' remark. You'll get FAR more parting it out. I've parted out several cars/motorcycles in my time. Some parts sell right away, some take time, but I could probably pull half a dozen parts off that car in 2 hours and make more than $1k. It's worth the effort, trust someone with experience (me, lol)!

Old 04-14-2015, 09:38 AM
elliott
2nd Gear
Thanks for your replies.. please keep more coming.

Couple issues, and mostly my own fault - I still have two Saabs sitting in the driveway, which is my wife's biggest hesitation, as she also understands the situation (would get more by parting out). I had similar plans for those, and yet, they still sit there, two cars and several years later.

And I can't disagree with her, as we have several projects going on with two kids under four at home.

Also, with it sitting in the driveway, she is also bummed about how it will make her feel hanging around, and worse, being chopped up and shipped out. She loved this thing; always wanted one; we bought it exactly how we wanted it - planning on keeping it for a long time.

Curse you logic and reason! Ha.. Thanks.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:43 AM
shreksbrother
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by elliott
Thanks for your replies.. please keep more coming.

Couple issues, and mostly my own fault - I still have two Saabs sitting in the driveway, which is my wife's biggest hesitation, as she also understands the situation (would get more by parting out). I had similar plans for those, and yet, they still sit there, two cars and several years later.

And I can't disagree with her, as we have several projects going on with two kids under four at home.

Also, with it sitting in the driveway, she is also bummed about how it will make her feel hanging around, and worse, being chopped up and shipped out. She loved this thing; always wanted one; we bought it exactly how we wanted it - planning on keeping it for a long time.

Curse you logic and reason! Ha.. Thanks.
FWIW - My suggestion? Spend a day pulling parts off the MINI and have the carcass pulled away for scrap. You'll be surprised what you can pull in a day. Just research on eBay/NAM classifieds what parts are selling for so you pull the right ones and make a list. And as an evil side note, have the Saabs hauled off for scrap, too. They're cool cars and whatnot, but when you can buy a 2006 Saab for $3k or so, those parts aren't going to be worth a heck of a lot. Make room in that driveway for your wife :-)

Old 04-14-2015, 11:07 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
If you do decide to keep the mini and do a DIY on the vehicle we offer some great tech articles that might be of any assistance to you. http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...tech_index.htm

Good luck!

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 04-14-2015, 01:44 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
If your on the forum much you'll see parts go quick I'm sure you would have no problem making a quick 1k. Sorry to hear about the motor, I've been there.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:14 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
I love the guys at Towne, they really take care of me. that being said, 1k is scrap value. Unless they did a great deal on the lease, they really don't want your car.

In the buffalo craigslist there is a 09 MCS with bad motor (he says 'timing belt broke', hmmmmmm) for $5200. There has also been a guy in Amherst parting out his MCS for a month or so.

Have fun,
Mike

I would post your car on craigslist or ebay for $3k and see if you get any calls. Give it a week, see what happens. You will probably get some interest here for parting out.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:26 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 571 Likes on 487 Posts
Tell the dealer you need $2K or you walk/run to the VW dealer for a 4 door Golf. And then walk out the damn door. Your heart is not in parting out, with young kids, enjoy them first. Pretty soon they will be teens.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:31 PM
mtechnik2
2nd Gear
I will give you 1k for car.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:01 PM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Stories like this - a Gen2 with a bad motor - are why so many of us with Gen1 are determined to keep them indefinitely.

Why do you think it will need an entire motor? If the con rod is broken, did it trash the block in the process? If not, repair is lots of labor but not so much in parts, and should appeal to any modestly competent DIYer with time on his hands.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:11 PM
mtechnik2
2nd Gear
Purchasing a new engine is more cost effective than the labor and parts rebuilding current engine. I have seen 2 n14's in the last month with broken piston skirts, oil rings completely missing.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:52 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Plus you missed the part where he has two young kids and two cars ready to be fixed. I hate to admit it (with my daughter 12 going on 16), but Minnie is right. Enjoy the family.

Have fun,
Mike

Old 04-14-2015, 08:11 PM
elliott
2nd Gear
Thanks everyone for your responses. It's what I expected, but also helpful to be able to say to my wife that there is a reason, and I did check on feasibility.

Dealer indicated that the numbers are the same if I come up with the 1K cash, so as long as the Mrs is on board, I'll see about bringing her home.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:18 PM
Nicefeet
5th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Unless you're driving one of the Saabs why not kick those cars down the road?

Old 04-14-2015, 09:28 PM
TBRoye
4th Gear
I would donate the Saabs to charity if you can and take the Tax deduction. If not U Pull It. Then I would rent a small storage locker and put her in that for a while (6months) and see how you feel then. You can part it out or DIY. This way it is out of the elements. You might be surprise how you fell in 6 months. Sound like you don't have garage or room in it for the mini.

Tom

Old 04-15-2015, 07:47 AM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Is there any room on your property for a quickie shed? (One of the cheap metal prefab ones?) That way the car would be out of sight, which might help ease your wife's mind on that.

In general, you'll be better off financially by parting the car yourself. You'll do less well by selling it as-is, but it will be gone all at once. Generally the dealer will give you the lowest amount of money--and if it is being folded into the deal with the CM All4, it's even worse. But that is the fastest way to deal with it. In one transaction, the old car is gone and you get the new one.

So, what's more important to you: Things happening quickly, or getting the most $$ out of the car?

Old 04-15-2015, 07:57 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Bring-r-home!

Old 04-15-2015, 02:47 PM
NB Cooper
4th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Um can I have it?

I hate to see a dealer get their hands on it.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:16 PM
elliott
2nd Gear
Just an update to everyone (again, I appreciate you reading and thank you for the comments)...

Went in today to decide and get things moving (on our end). We will sign and take delivery on our 2015 CMS All4 tomorrow. Mixed feelings of excitement and sadness to move on (especially for my wife, and compounded on the ride home when our 4-year old daughter stated, "Does this mean our MINI is not coming home?! That makes me sad and want to cry!" My poor wife's face!).

I have decided, based on your encouragement, that we would walk away from their offer of trade, and figure out how to get our '07 home to send to a better place than the auction/scrap heap!

The Saabs will be gone shortly (and that's been the plan, but this is sort of the last straw!), and hopefully our '07 soon after that. I'll look to post on here and CL to see what the response is like (as you've already been great), to do a bit better than the dealer's auction price.

Thank you again for helping us deal with this unfortunate situation!

And we are in Buffalo NY for those of you that have asked.. Thanks!

elliott

Old 04-16-2015, 07:29 PM
elliott
2nd Gear
Oh, and we have a "small" shed/garage (it's 16x24.. ha.. small) that my dad and I put up, but it's not totally empty, and is officially a garage that will one day house my project car. However, our MINI doesn't look to be that project with the other things going on for us.

And while it's an option, don't think my wife wants it there for any extended amount of time! She knows me too well (hence the Saabs still around)!!!

Old 04-17-2015, 02:53 AM
NB Cooper
4th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by elliott
"Does this mean our MINI is not coming home?! That makes me sad and want to cry!" My poor wife's face!).

elliott
Man can I identify with that!
We have owned an Acura MDX that we bought in the fall of 2007. Since that time, this machine has hauled our family and pets all over North America accumulating around 260,000 miles or 417,000 kms in the process. It has really become a member of the family and we even named it. That seems to be when / where a car is officially adopted in our family. So we decided that it was time to move "Millie" on to a new home and we purchased a newer MDX. Well, the first time someone came to test drive "Millie" it felt really strange. My daughter, who is now 15, commented that she really didn't like someone else driving "Millie" and how can we send her off to be treated god knows how by a person she doesn't even know?

So "Millie" is off the market and I have too many cars! But my daughter is happy and I drive it to work every day still so this car pays me every day.

That's my little story. A bit off topic but I felt compelled to share so please forgive me.