R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Are these hpfp symptoms?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 07:01 PM
thinkinmini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are these hpfp symptoms?

So the car's at about 100k miles, and I recently changed the timing chain and tensioner, so that's a non issue..anyway, it's giving the typical symptoms of needing a carbon cleaning, sputtering under moderate throttle between 2-3500 rmp in 3rd gear and up, and sometimes coughing out some black smoke out back. Today however, it started up, and then promptly died, then I restarted it, only to have it idle a bit, then die again. 3rd time it started and ran fine, are these all connected to a possible faulty hpfp? Also, I don't have any current stored fault codes according to my OBDII scanner and torque, but pending codes are P0303 and P0003 (i think are misfires), P0403, P02aa, and B2aaa. Not sure what pending fault codes are exactly...but do these sound like typical hpfp failure symptoms? Also for reference, it was about 50F and rainy outside, and this is the first starting issue I've had, and I've also done the walnut blasting of the intake valves about 30k miles ago, so it could need another round. The throttle in general just seems a bit off. I also did the spark plugs around then, but I probably will check them out too when I get a chance. Thanks for the help!

Old 04-23-2015, 09:38 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
Yeah that could be HPFP. What mine did was this: first attempt to start it, hit start button, starter cranks, engine went chug chug try to start, die. Second attempt usually started normally, and ran fine, no throttle prolems, nothing for the rest of the day. When it finally died it just sputtered constantly and the gas pedal didn't do anything.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:22 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thinkinmini
So the car's at about 100k miles [...] it started up, and then promptly died, then I restarted it, only to have it idle a bit, then die again. 3rd time it started and ran fine, are these all connected to a possible faulty hpfp? Also, I don't have any current stored fault codes according to my OBDII scanner and torque, but pending codes are P0303 and P0003 (i think are misfires), P0403, P02aa, and B2aaa. Not sure what pending fault codes are exactly...but do these sound like typical hpfp failure symptoms? Also for reference, it was about 50F and rainy outside, and this is the first starting issue I've had, and I've also done the walnut blasting of the intake valves about 30k miles ago, so it could need another round. The throttle in general just seems a bit off. I also did the spark plugs around then, but I probably will check them out too when I get a chance. Thanks for the help!
Yes, this can very well be HPFP (fuel supply), but do double check that the spark plugs and coils are working well first.

Assuming it's an N14 engine, you should be covered by MINI's extended 10 year / 120K mile warranty on HPFP's. Call the dealer with your VIN to double check. If you are covered, you bring the car in, assume the risk that dealer diagnosis uncovers some other fault (in which case you pay for 1 hour of labor), and if they confirm that it is HPFP, you get a new one for free.

a