R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Test car for best Oil Catch can ever! RX Performance

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 08:32 PM
azbawood
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are there any updates on this? I see on the rx site there are adapters available for the mini, but has anyone been running this system? And do thy have a kit for mini or just their cc with their adapters?

Old 06-29-2016, 08:12 AM
smarsha11
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rx occ

@Tigger2011 may have some info on this. He posted that he was about to install one on 6/27

Old 06-29-2016, 09:58 AM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
okay cowboys and cowgirls,
Yes you can benefit from having a OCC...
but if you are having excessive oil in your passenger side valve cover hose going to the intake manifold you might want to perform a simple test to see if your VALVE COVER is working properly.

In the mini cooper OEM book of GODs there is a test the dealer can do to make sure your valve cover is working correctly. They give out the specs of all their engines and what the reading should be on each engine.
see below.

okay so my car is an N14 ( 07 R56 ) and it states I should have 38mbar of vacuum on my crankcase. That equals to 1.122144"hg or as we call it inches of vacuum. So with an 10 dollar autozone vacuum test gauge we should see 1.1 ish inches of vacuum.
Now the question is where to get your reading, I chose to drill and tap my oil fill cap, you can go to a junk yard and pick up one for a few bucks or take the hit and buy one from your dealer.

I'm going to check mine every 3-6 months so I'm not worried about drilling my cap. I am going to pick up a nice AN style fitting with a true cap on it next time I go by the hot rod shop or order from summit.

okay so....
I added another gauge to the hose coming from the manifold to the passengers side valve cover

with the motor running and my gauge inline with the hose going to the valve cover I had 10"hg vacuum ,
my oil fill cap was reading .75-1"hg .

now the question is why right ? Well we all have seen the chopped up valve cover pictures online right, thanks to one of our NAM guys ?
Lets look again anyway.....

okay so we have MOVING parts inside our valve cover , moving parts can fail right ???
So best I can see if the orange disk gets sucked down onto the the black plastic seat and controls the amount of vacuum that actually gets drawn out of the motor. Why do they do this ??? I think its to keep down on emissions, the less you draw back into the motor the less the ECU has to deal with and the less coking on the valves ???? As the motor comes up in rpm you lose your vacuum on the passengers side and this allows the OEM check valve to close and now the drivers side should be doing the sucking ...
below is the OEM check valve....

My car has under 60K miles, around 52K i went in for a valve cleaning and they called and said my valve cover was bad. They said they had the "new revised" valve cover in stock and if I wanted to grab my ankles they would go slow to the tune of 600.00 bucks if i remember right. Well they had me and I though I might get a kiss on the back of my neck but oh well.....
So maybe the new design cuts the vacuum back even more from the chart
( see first picture with the N14 - 38mbar spec )

I guess what I'm saying is test your valve cover if your having a bunch of oil issues, do a leak down on your engine ... Just throwing money at a system is just putting a bandaid on the problem....
If that orange diaphragm has a cut or rip it would let more vacuum into the crankcase and pull more oil out.
being its only pulling 1"hg out the valve cover you could probably get by with a harbor freight oil water separator, ebay or beer can stuffed with steet wool and get decent results IMO.... yeah yeah I know the better the design the more separating it does and I agree with that, but is it needed with only 1"hg, is it high flow,low flow,high volume,low volume.... I don't really know, no flow meter was used in the testing......

now passenger side I wanted to go to the dyno but it has gotten way to hot here now to be pushing the car but I did use an electric vacuum pump with 3-5"hg and still saw the .75-1"hg on the crankcase, now that might could change once the turbo starts sucking up some boost but I can't say that for sure.

I did some testing with the ford motorsport electric vacuum pump as well, I get some time I might post my finding with that test as well.

Now this is just me making suggestion so any jumping on me will only be aloud with one foot at a time ...... be nice

The following 2 users liked this post by ridinDirty:
bugeye1031 (07-02-2018), FrankMstein (08-25-2023)