R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Key fob replacement from www.remotesremotes.com legit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015 | 02:13 PM
motorapido
|
Neutral
Key fob replacement from www.remotesremotes.com legit?

A web vendor named www.remotesremotes.com sells refurbished keyfobs for Minis. Anybody know if they are legit? They claim to offer a 60-day money back guarantee if the fob does not work. This is for my 2010 Mini Cooper hardtop hatch base model WITHOUT comfort access. Here is an email conversation I had with the vendor. Should I take the plunge and buy from them? $85.

Remotesremotes2 (remotes)
May 18, 14:48

60 day money back guarantee.

Thank you

christopher markley
May 18, 13:57

Thanks. If for any reason the dealer programing does not work, do you offer a money-back guarantee?

Christopher Markley
christopherdavidmarkley@gmail.com
717-329-1982

Remotesrem
May 18, 13:44

You will take it to a dealer to get it programmed.

Thank you

christopher markley
May 18, 07:51

So when I buy the refurbished replacement key from you, how will the VIN number from my car get coded into the key that I buy from you? Do you do that, or must I take it to a dealer to get it coded?

Christopher Markley
christopherdavidmarkley@gmail.com
717-329-1982

Remotesrem
May 18, 07:42

The dealer is making an attempt to get you to purchase the remote from them.

christopher markley
May 16, 14:02

My Mini Cooper does not have comfort access. The dealer told me that I cannot buy a used key, but instead must provide my VIN number and lots of personal ID to order a new factory key, which will come with my car's vin programmed in the key. The dealer says that they do not and cannot provide any special coding for replacement keys for non-comfort-access models, since none is needed. But the key must arrive from he factory with the car's VIN number already stored in the key. If I buy the used/reconditioned key from you and if it is correct that the dealer cannot do any VIN programming to the key, how will your key work in my vehicle?

Old 05-18-2015 | 04:15 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
I'd recommend you save yourself the potential frustration and do it right the first time. That website is a huge question mark, otherwise you wouldn't be asking, and the dealer isn't. I faxed copies of title, registration and DL to the dealer, they sent back a credit card authorization form and a couple weeks later got the key and no having to jump thru additional hoops.

Old 05-18-2015 | 08:00 PM
sgscomps
4th Gear
A new remote (fob) from the dealer should only cost you approx $150 without comfort access and the slide in key is approx $40. You will need proof of ownership by means of a title or registration and driver lic for the registered owner. These will take 1-3 days to get from BMW and will be shipped direct to the dealer. The dealer will not program a key you buy from EBAY or some website. Save yourself the frustration and money and do it right the first time.

Old 05-19-2015 | 06:39 AM
ggrimm01
1st Gear
refurbish FOB's

I went down the same path you did and got burned. The comments from the above are true. Do a search and you will see and find sponsors and companies who can get you a FOB for around the stated price above. I went that route and just had to provide proof of ownership and got a working FOB right from the start. As for the refurbished FOBS. I checked all locksmith's and dealers in town and no one could reprogram a refurbished blank FOB. Goodluck....

Old 12-08-2015 | 02:08 PM
linda evans
Neutral
Defective Products

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]I purchased a remote from remotesremotes through their website,www.remotesremotes.com. The remote failed within 45 days. For months Iattempted to contact their customer service by calling the number listed on thepurchase paperwork, to no avail. I left numerous messages, but never received areturn call. I am a mechanic, spent several hours troubleshooting the remote,even purchased a new battery for the unit. All attempts to repair the remotefailed. Today after a new round of repeated attempts remoteremotes customerservice answered their phone. I spent a great deal of time explaining theproduct failure in detail. They stated they could not find my order, my phonenumber, or email address, in their system even though I had the purchase paperand their remote in my hands. They informed me because I told them I had theremote for more than 60 their warranty was void. remoteremotes offered NOcompensation of all kind; no replacement, refund or service.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 02-20-2016 | 09:30 AM
RRamjet
Neutral
Chris, hello from 2002.
Jane & I bought a new '12 R55 Clubman, factory ordered to our spec, good fun. Couple/3 days ago I stupidly left my Comfort Access key on the roof while I went around to close the shop door, sure that I'd remember it when I got back in to drive away but no. So now I'm researching the key replacement like thousands of others have had to do. So far I've just been intimidated by the complexity of the process and the risk of getting something that will work in the aftermarket.
What solution did you use?
...Roger Holeman, Ilwaco WA

Last edited by RRamjet; 02-20-2016 at 09:31 AM. Reason: add pic
Old 05-14-2016 | 05:42 AM
Blesson Thomas
Neutral
Does anyone have any experience of getting a Mini Cooper-S Smart Key program tool.? I can get a virgin remote but need to program it, but looking for a cheap tool to program the remote part.

or if some could send a video link or description on how to remove the CAS module that would be great..

(My 2007 MCS remote part is damaged...key blade is fine, so looking to program a Virgin Remote)

Old 05-14-2016 | 06:29 AM
sgscomps
4th Gear
Do yourself a favor and just buy the key and fob from the dealer. You will save yourself hours of frustration buying a used fob and trying to program it yourself. Once these used fobs have been programmed to the original car there is no reprogramming to your car. The fob from the dealer has a 2 year warranty.

Old 05-14-2016 | 07:29 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sgscomps
do yourself a favor and just buy the key and fob from the dealer. You will save yourself hours of frustration buying a used fob and trying to program it yourself. Once these used fobs have been programmed to the original car there is no reprogramming to your car. The fob from the dealer has a 2 year warranty.
+1

Old 05-14-2016 | 05:05 PM
Blesson Thomas
Neutral
Mini Key Programming

Hi Thanks for the reply. I am in Australia and here it costs almost double the amount you have said. ($338 here)

Pls have look at the following which I found from a website eHow..Pls have a look at this and can you give some info whether this can be done with a VIRGIN REMOTE KEY.? (Key blade is not damaged..only remote needs programming in mine)

Three-button Keys
Sit in the driver's seat of the vehicle with all the keys.

Insert one key into the ignition switch and turn to the "2D" position. The dash lights should come on. Remove the key. Do not turn the ignition off.

Press and hold the "Unlock" button on the remote. Press the center "Lock" button three times while holding the "Unlock" button on the remote. Release the "Unlock" button at the same time as the "Lock" button after the third press.

Repeat Step 3 for the second key within 30 seconds of completing the first key's programming.

Turn the ignition off. Exit the vehicle and test the remotes.

Old 05-14-2016 | 06:13 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Blesson Thomas
Pls have look at the following which I found from a website eHow..
That procedure only applies to 2005-2006 1st generation models (R50, R53) or 2005-2008 for the convertible.

Old 05-15-2016 | 04:14 PM
valvashon
5th Gear
The Remotesremotes.com website looks fishy to me. First of all, the price for a round remote (the "hockey puck" type) is $289, not $85 (although I realize that was a year ago) and they list the hockey puck type for 2004-2006 models when I can guarantee you those years came with a different key and I'm pretty sure the hockey puck keys won't work with the earlier cars. I've also not heard of successful attempts at pairing these hockey puck remotes with cars other than the ones they came with.

There are three parts to a MINI key; the blade, the remote and the EWS/immobilizer chip. Blades can be cut and maybe even the car can be programmed to accept the commands of a different remote but the EWS/immobilizer chip can't be reprogrammed once it's been programmed once (I believe they are "write once" devices); even if you put a new EWS chip in the key dealers don't have the technology to write to this chip in the key.

Blesson Thomas- I do key repair on the side. What is wrong with your remote? If it ever did actually work with your car perhaps I can repair it. I have new batteries, new tactile (board mounted) switches and new shells in stock. Send me a picture if you'd like and I'll tell you if it is too heavily damaged to repair. Much cheaper than a new key!

Bruce

Old 07-08-2016 | 10:04 AM
Tim H (WarDoc)
2nd Gear
I went to my local mini dealer here in Grand Rapids Michigan an hour ago. They want $93 for a key without remote. They said the remote key is $220 with $100 activation fee. This was for a 2005 S Convertible.

Is there a dealer willing to do it online or over the phone and ship me the key for less than that? If I get the remote key, can I program it myself following the procedure outlined above.

Old 07-08-2016 | 02:45 PM
valvashon
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Tim H (WarDoc)
I went to my local mini dealer here in Grand Rapids Michigan an hour ago. They want $93 for a key without remote. They said the remote key is $220 with $100 activation fee. This was for a 2005 S Convertible.

Is there a dealer willing to do it online or over the phone and ship me the key for less than that? If I get the remote key, can I program it myself following the procedure outlined above.
I think this is in the wrong section (you have a 2005) but I'm happy to comment anyway. The price quoted you is about right, even a bit cheaper than some other dealers. Seattle MINI recently charged a customer of mine (I run MINI Key Hospital) $119 for a non remote key. For a 2005 you should be able to program the car to accept the remote commands yourself- see the link below. It should arrive at the dealer cut and able to start the car. I would avoid "remotesremotes" as the only place you can get a legitimate MINI key is at the dealer.

https://sites.google.com/site/minian...moving-forward

Good luck with it!

Bruce