R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Best bang for my buck power mod?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 06:18 PM
damncajun
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best bang for my buck power mod?

My 2010 R56 MSC needs more power. It's stock other than the K&N hot air intake.

Looking for a list of mods I can obtain on a single family income with 2 toddlers. Aka, I don't have a lot of cash laying around to play with.

So list me a few power mods, estimated HP, and $$ they go for.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:42 PM
SteveJ
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drivers school.
if you have never been to one, it will help you wring every last oomph out of any car you happen to drive. It will also help you determine where your car may or may not be lacking.

The big schools are good -skip barber, bob bondurant, etc... but BMWCCA schools are really good as well. A good amount of seat time. MINI's are almost always welcome.

If you have been to a school or three, then good. For upgrades, don't forget brakes. Go fast, stop faster.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:18 PM
En Fuego Mark
1st Gear
The best advice I can give you is to use the "search" function. There is more info on this site that you'll ever get in this thread.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:47 AM
Steven_RW
3rd Gear
Re-map for go faster in a straightline.

Michelin Pilot SuperSport tyres for ride quality, handling and generally better in every department.

Exhaust for noise and feeling like you are going faster when you are not really.

Driver training is great and helps you make use of the above, or indeed your standard car. Just depends what it is you are looking for. As said, many more options to discuss. Search away.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:32 AM
damncajun
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by SteveJ
Drivers school.
if you have never been to one, it will help you wring every last oomph out of any car you happen to drive. It will also help you determine where your car may or may not be lacking.

The big schools are good -skip barber, bob bondurant, etc... but BMWCCA schools are really good as well. A good amount of seat time. MINI's are almost always welcome.

If you have been to a school or three, then good. For upgrades, don't forget brakes. Go fast, stop faster.
I've been to a few;
Dodge SRT track experience.
Buck Baker NASCAR track day.
Military evasive driving school.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:36 AM
damncajun
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by En Fuego Mark
The best advice I can give you is to use the "search" function. There is more info on this site that you'll ever get in this thread.
Your post didn't help me. You can say "search" function for every new post on this forum.

Last edited by damncajun; 06-05-2015 at 04:14 AM.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:15 AM
damncajun
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Steven_RW
Re-map for go faster in a straightline.

Michelin Pilot SuperSport tyres for ride quality, handling and generally better in every department.

Exhaust for noise and feeling like you are going faster when you are not really.

Driver training is great and helps you make use of the above, or indeed your standard car. Just depends what it is you are looking for. As said, many more options to discuss. Search away.
Thanks for the mapping suggestion

Old 06-05-2015, 05:00 AM
chappybmode
3rd Gear
I have a few on mine. K&N intake, Both intercooler muffler deletes, stiffer waste gate spring, exhaust, Burger shift bushing. These are all relatively cheap and have made my car a bit more fun. What i would encourage though would be some suspension upgrades first. I wish i would have attacked this first. This car pushes horribly under acceleration.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:17 AM
Gipper
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
JB+ cheap, quick and good results.

Eric

Old 06-05-2015, 06:35 AM
Centium
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gipper
JB+ cheap, quick and good results.

Eric
+1 to this...

Old 06-05-2015, 07:54 AM
Mrbrown
1st Gear
For the N18 engine - the JB+ is a good idea but I wouldn't want it on the car for too long and only use it as a step to getting a remap (I'm from the UK and for some reason we think tuning boxes are evil).

A decat pipe probably gives the best bang for buck, power + exhaust noise = WIN. depends on how you feel about emissions and how your cars get tested in the USA.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:41 AM
Centium
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mrbrown
For the N18 engine - the JB+ is a good idea but I wouldn't want it on the car for too long and only use it as a step to getting a remap (I'm from the UK and for some reason we think tuning boxes are evil).

A decat pipe probably gives the best bang for buck, power + exhaust noise = WIN. depends on how you feel about emissions and how your cars get tested in the USA.
I don't see what's wrong with having the JB+ on for extended periods assuming that you aren't thrashing your engine every day...

Many states in the US use a sniffer. Decatting is not an option in those states. This might help... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_inspection_in_the_United_States

Old 06-05-2015, 08:45 AM
Mrbrown
1st Gear
In the UK we have an emissions test every year - it just depends on where you go and who you know to get the pass certificate

Old 06-05-2015, 08:56 AM
RockAZ
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I use google search for NAM, the built in one is very imprecise.
https://support.google.com/websearch.../2466433?hl=en

specifically, adding site to it like this search:
R56 upgrade site: https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums

And my 1st suggestion is to install a torque arm insert if you have a manual shift.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:36 AM
tylewis
3rd Gear
I have been looking at this same dilemma myself. I think getting a tune is your best bet by far. I am in the process of starting a stage 2 tune. I have a CAI currently and will be doing an intercooler, W/M injection kit, downpipe and high flow cat. This is expensive though and because you are on a budget, a stage one tune is probably your best bet. I have been hearing good things about Manic, which is probably who I will be going with.

Quick response, get it tuned.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:05 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Most power-related things are between $500 and $800. According to others, exhaust is audio improvement, but limited hp gain (my aftermarket exhaust didn't feel any faster, I sold it).

FMIC is nice for tracking a car, but doesn't actually add any HP (it maintains what you have).

Internal engine mods or turbo upgrades get really expensive.

This leaves you with a tune, which is probably the best option. My old Accessport makes a noticeable improvement in driving the car, it is worth it. If I was spending money, I would go with a tune.

If you wanted better handling, there are other options. But for HP, go with a tune.

Mike

Old 06-05-2015, 01:48 PM
blunderbird
2nd Gear
if you look at the JCW and GP2, most of the extra HP is in the engine tuning. Sure they have a very slightly larger turbo and different manifold, and slightly less restrictive exhaust (still appears to be 2.25" or so though). there are plenty of people getting stock S to higher boost numbers on the factory turbos...it is all in the boost curve, timing, fuel map etc.

That being said, the hot side muffler delete hose, noise maker delete and an exhaust will make the car sound more aggressive and enjoyable. I can't own anything with stock exhaust, just the way I've always been. I drive by sound.
If you hound the classifieds or are handy with a welder, you could easily make a home brew copy of the JCW exhaust and delete the hot side muffler (2" PVC works fine). The noise maker can be deleted with a $5 rubber expanding plug from the auto parts store. BAM, that could all be done for way under $500 even using nice stuff.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3283011
http://www.waymotorworks.com/forge-r...lete-hose.html

Not sure if the VAG BOV mod can be done on a '10+, but my factory diverter valve had blown out around the plastic ring..doing the VAG BOV mod made a big seat of the pants feel in how fast the turbo spooled.
http://www.e-tuners.com/index.php?s=12&t=2

I have a 2.75" DP back exhaust on my car, mostly for sound and because i got a crazy deal on it used. However, i do feel it has a smidge less off the line, but once the turbo spools up on the top end it makes more power. Coupled with a tune, I think there would be a significant difference between stock exhaust/tune and tuned with exhaust. The factory S exhaust with 2 cats, resonator and muffler is relatively restrictive (and heavy). I'm going to experiment with leaving the 2nd car and resonator in place, and just chopping off the rear muffler to replace it with a dual resonator tip. I'll let you know if I ever get around to it.

Also, buy a ScanGauge so you can know when imminent meltdown is approaching and react accordingly. Its the cheapest way to add 4+ gauges to this cars, plus it reads and clears codes.

Its also debatable, but a quality catch can is a good idea too. Keeping the carbon buildup on the valves down will ensure you're operating at peak efficiency. Even if they don't completely eliminate the buildup, if they reduce it by half they still pay for themselves. This is one of the better threads:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...uestion-4.html
also this:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3537623
Study the valve cover disassembly photos and you will start to understand how to best solve the issues of excessive PCV blowby fouling valves. Letting the valves get bad is just going to lead to things like premature valve guide seal wear and higher oil consumption in the combustion chamber too. Thus, less power. Sometimes making power just means you didn't lose it somewhere else
The reason most people think catch cans do not work is because they are only filtering half the system, and the half of the system that does less work at that.

Bang for buck handling mods?
Tires, camber plates and rear sway bar, in that order. Then replace the shocks with good ones as maintenance requires and budget allows.

Old 06-05-2015, 04:46 PM
isamin
4th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
With 2 toddlers you won't be in this car for too long so I would suggest not dumping any $$$ into your ride with mods - kills your resale value. Get a Sprintbooster and a JB. Both are extremely easy to install AND remove and are hot items for resale when it comes minivan time. These items will give you a very enjoyable feeling with your for much less cost than hard core mods.

ISAMIN

Old 06-05-2015, 07:12 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
Bang for the buck on the Turbo MINI is hands down the ECU tune.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/perform...-cooper-s.html

Do that first then you can build mods on top of that as HP per dollar goes way up.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 06-05-2015, 07:14 PM
damncajun
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Centium
+1 to this...
I have a manual N14. No JB for me

Old 06-05-2015, 07:16 PM
damncajun
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Mrbrown

Yes sir! This is the info I'm looking for. I have an N14 but no emissions in VA. Thanks bud

Old 06-05-2015, 07:21 PM
damncajun
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by blunderbird
if you look at the JCW and GP2, most of the extra HP is in the engine tuning. Sure they have a very slightly larger turbo and different manifold, and slightly less restrictive exhaust (still appears to be 2.25" or so though). there are plenty of people getting stock S to higher boost numbers on the factory turbos...it is all in the boost curve, timing, fuel map etc.

That being said, the hot side muffler delete hose, noise maker delete and an exhaust will make the car sound more aggressive and enjoyable. I can't own anything with stock exhaust, just the way I've always been. I drive by sound.
If you hound the classifieds or are handy with a welder, you could easily make a home brew copy of the JCW exhaust and delete the hot side muffler (2" PVC works fine). The noise maker can be deleted with a $5 rubber expanding plug from the auto parts store. BAM, that could all be done for way under $500 even using nice stuff.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3283011
http://www.waymotorworks.com/forge-r...lete-hose.html

Not sure if the VAG BOV mod can be done on a '10+, but my factory diverter valve had blown out around the plastic ring..doing the VAG BOV mod made a big seat of the pants feel in how fast the turbo spooled.
http://www.e-tuners.com/index.php?s=12&t=2

I have a 2.75" DP back exhaust on my car, mostly for sound and because i got a crazy deal on it used. However, i do feel it has a smidge less off the line, but once the turbo spools up on the top end it makes more power. Coupled with a tune, I think there would be a significant difference between stock exhaust/tune and tuned with exhaust. The factory S exhaust with 2 cats, resonator and muffler is relatively restrictive (and heavy). I'm going to experiment with leaving the 2nd car and resonator in place, and just chopping off the rear muffler to replace it with a dual resonator tip. I'll let you know if I ever get around to it.

Also, buy a ScanGauge so you can know when imminent meltdown is approaching and react accordingly. Its the cheapest way to add 4+ gauges to this cars, plus it reads and clears codes.

Its also debatable, but a quality catch can is a good idea too. Keeping the carbon buildup on the valves down will ensure you're operating at peak efficiency. Even if they don't completely eliminate the buildup, if they reduce it by half they still pay for themselves. This is one of the better threads:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...uestion-4.html
also this:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3537623
Study the valve cover disassembly photos and you will start to understand how to best solve the issues of excessive PCV blowby fouling valves. Letting the valves get bad is just going to lead to things like premature valve guide seal wear and higher oil consumption in the combustion chamber too. Thus, less power. Sometimes making power just means you didn't lose it somewhere else
The reason most people think catch cans do not work is because they are only filtering half the system, and the half of the system that does less work at that.

Bang for buck handling mods?
Tires, camber plates and rear sway bar, in that order. Then replace the shocks with good ones as maintenance requires and budget allows.
Thank you sir

Old 06-05-2015, 07:24 PM
damncajun
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by isamin
With 2 toddlers you won't be in this car for too long so I would suggest not dumping any $$$ into your ride with mods - kills your resale value. Get a Sprintbooster and a JB. Both are extremely easy to install AND remove and are hot items for resale when it comes minivan time. These items will give you a very enjoyable feeling with your for much less cost than hard core mods.

ISAMIN
We have a minivan. We use the Mini for work and school commuting. I've never heard of sprintbooster, I'll look into that but my N14 Isn't compatible with jb as far as I know