R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 General questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 09:16 AM
vixster
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
General questions

After warranty is expired.. with 82k in... (2008), Do you folks find that you have to put in $'s into your car to keep it happy? What's the threshold where you call it quits? I am finding that the car is beginning to suck up my money... 1k here, 1k there... thoughts?? I wish I was a DYI doer...

Feed back would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Old 06-05-2015, 10:18 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
These cars do cost money to upkeep, but if you do DIY it definitely will help keep some money in your wallet. If you keep up on the basic maintenance that is needed it will help, but there are things that will come about that are inevitable with Mini's. We just got in an F56 and will be posting a lot more articles to help the DIY'er, but you can see what we have listed so far here. I know you said you aren't one, but.. we made these articles to help people like you to break into DIY. We give great instructions, which should help you feel more comfortable when working on your own car.

-Luccia

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 06-05-2015, 10:41 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I'm a do it yourself guy, but I haven't had to do any repairs to my MINI. All I've done is keep it full of gas and oil.

I tend to keep cars forever, I haven't ever sold or traded a car. I've given some to my kids, parted out and scrapped others. I currently have six cars, four of them are road worthy and two are undergoing restoration. I think that fixing a car is always cheaper than buying a new one.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:09 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 571 Likes on 487 Posts
DIY'ers surely can keep cars almost forever and with low cost. Finding a quality Indy mechanic can help if you can't DIY. Reading and learning helps with knowing when to fold them and move on. I did that with a Nissan that I swore was going to last me 20 years, I gave up after 11 as the CVT seemed headed for the junkyard.

Knowing a guy like the above poster is also good.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:58 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Like many cars, the MINI will tell you when there are issues. Listening for odd noises like rattle on startup (timing chain), watching for leaks (thermostat, water pump, oil filter housing, turbo oil line), and maintaining oil level, will help a bunch.

At 82k miles, unfortunately you are due for some things to go wrong. What have you replaced or maintained to date from this list:

water pump
thermostat housing
spark plugs
carbon cleaning
timing chain (or tensioner)
oil filter housing gaskets
turbo oil line

Most of these can be done together to minimize labor costs, but there is some significant $$$ in this list. My 08 with 106k miles on it has had all of these things done, plus a new turbo (previous owner) and an expansion tank.

Most of these items are not repeat repairs (except spark plugs every 60k and carbon cleaning every 25k), so once they are fixed you should not have the problems again.

the big question is: How much do you like your MINI? What would you replace it with?

Have fun,
Mike

Old 06-05-2015, 07:29 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Guys I don't think the OP has an S model, just a 2008 Mini Cooper.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:21 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Systemlord
Guys I don't think the OP has an S model, just a 2008 Mini Cooper.
It doesn't matter.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:39 AM
vixster
1st Gear
Great replies, thanks .. I do love my car.. mcwizc: Thanks for this detailed list.. I haven't done any of these... should I wait or or bit the bullet and do it all at once now...
I have some sensor changed (increased emissions kept coming on) and bake fluid flush.. and just had complete brake job done (all 4).

my windows are squeaky , so dealer wants 2.5 hours of labor (1.25 per hour, to open door, take off window) to grease up mechanics, and hope regulator is fine...

good input here, thanks!

Old 06-06-2015, 12:19 PM
damncajun
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A DIYer it's always beneficial no matter what car you drive. Youtube and forums are a godsend for me when I need to get thing done. I'll do anything other than internal engine work. Labor charges is what is insane at these dealers and I'd suggest finding an indy if you must take your car in. Find a local mini club and see what they say is the best BMW/MINI indy. if you have no warranty never ever ever ever go to the dealer for service. EVER.

Old 06-06-2015, 12:36 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
If you have a base Cooper, then you can reduce the maintenance list a bit. No carbon cleaning, no turbo oil line.

Keep an eye out for leaks, let us know if you see drops on the ground or your levels (coolant or oil) drop. We can help pinpoint what is leaking, and advise you if you want to tackle it yourself or not.

Have fun,
Mike

Old 06-07-2015, 12:41 AM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by DneprDave
I think that fixing a car is always cheaper than buying a new one.
You have obviously never owned a Volvo...

Old 06-07-2015, 05:10 AM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My car will be gone before the factory warranty expires.

Old 06-07-2015, 05:24 AM
vixster
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mbwicz
If you have a base Cooper, then you can reduce the maintenance list a bit. No carbon cleaning, no turbo oil line.

Keep an eye out for leaks, let us know if you see drops on the ground or your levels (coolant or oil) drop. We can help pinpoint what is leaking, and advise you if you want to tackle it yourself or not.

Yes it is a base cooper, non-s..
thanks

Old 06-07-2015, 06:42 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Originally Posted by squawSkiBum
You have obviously never owned a Volvo...
Yes, I do own a Volvo, a '98 V70 T5. It is one of the most reliable cars I've ever had.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:52 AM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by DneprDave
Yes, I do own a Volvo, a '98 V70 T5. It is one of the most reliable cars I've ever had.
My 1996 V70 put my mechanic's kids through college, $3000 at a time. To relate this somewhat to the original topic, it shows that you can't generalize about a brand based on one experience.