R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Brakes who has done theirs ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 07:56 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
Originally Posted by Seaswood
Assume you used them with or without the pad retainer mini's come with?
I have no idea what 'pad retainer' you are talking about ....

GEN1 pads have clips that are attached to the pad backing plate and are not 'optional' or removable

{gen1 rear} disregard circles
Name:  100_0085-1.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  90.1 KB

GEN2 pads have no such clips
{GEN2}
Name:  GEN2front.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  52.4 KB

EBC pads sets typically have a stick on shim material which is more anti-sqeek than anything else ...

Old 11-10-2015, 01:40 PM
Seaswood
3rd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Ebc

The fronts came with none used original.
The rears did come with a backing plate that snaps on the pad. EBC.

Now to finish this & try to reset everything.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:12 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
to educate me

could you provide a picture

of the pad retainer

Old 11-12-2015, 04:57 AM
Seaswood
3rd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Ebc

Originally Posted by Capt_bj
to educate me

could you provide a picture

of the pad retainer
The pad retainers are on the pads installed, but they clip on the back nicely & are about 2/16ths thick (steel). Mini provides pad holders with their pads, the rears I took off had a piece of metal as a backing maybe similar to the EBC? As it was quite rusted. It appears each manufacturer has the specs for the caliper that they use to design their pad in accordance with the company they represent.
Ie. Mini pads are quite different from EBC pads both used to stop the car.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:30 AM
ilookmarvlus
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just replaced my rotors and pads..

Skeeter is our 2006 R50 JAC. Very basic. The brakes were about 25K in an not really needing replacement when I bought it last August, but they were horribly noisy and the brake dust was just stunning.

I thought about a number of kits, slotted rotors etc. but the point is they're just not worth the money. A good friend with a speed shop that specialized in Mini's suggested I get good quality OEM style rotors and any of several ceramic pads.

I went with Bosch QuietStop rotors and Akibono ceramic pads from Amazon as well as the odd bits and pieces. If you have a Gen 1 mini there's a decent video on Youtube.

The one thing I would do different especially on the rears is crack the bleed valve and attach a brake fluid collection bottle.

Finally the brake windback tool either this set from Mini Motoring or this tool from Emnotek is really necessary to compress the rear caliper piston sufficiently. I rented a tool set from AutoZone, but not one of the adapters really worked and it was the hardest part of then whole job.

Make sure you have appropriate anti-seize and lubricants and plenty of brake cleaner.

Finally when you're done lookup the bed in procedures for your brand or brake pads. For example Akibono says not to do anything specific and your pads should be bedded in couple hundred miles of normal driving, where some firms recommend a series of stops from speeds as high as 60-65 MPH with a period to cool off the rotors.

The new brakes are great by the way, stops really well and very straight, no noise, no brake dust and I spent less than $250.

Oh one last thing, if you have a late 2006 Gen 1 measure your front rotors before ordering. One of the reasons I went with Bosch is they have separate part numbers as these cars made after July 12 2006 could have one of two different size from rotors 276 or 294 mm diameter rotors. Mine has the smaller rotors about 10.75 inches.

I called a number of specialty Mini parts folks and not one of them could tell me what the differences were in the brake systems at that time.

Last edited by ilookmarvlus; 11-24-2015 at 09:38 AM.