R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 HPFP again...I think

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 08:00 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
HPFP again...I think

Had it replaced under remaining factory warranty Jan this year at 34k. Now at 49k, same symptoms as before, same misfire codes, same reduced power. Factory warranty now over due to time. Have an aftermarket Hendricks warranty. Taking my JB+ off and making appointment at dealer. Hope they warranty it again. Does anyone think the dealer will freak out about my ALTA hot side turbo tube and my bigger intercooler? Sure dont wanna have to remove those 2 mods....

Thanks in advance--Chris

Old 11-04-2015, 08:30 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Friday 7:40 a.m. appt at MINI of Escondido. SA said most likely will be covered under emissions warranty or my aftermarket Hendricks warranty. They are providing me a loaner car. I will update when the diagnosis is made. When the first HPFP failed, I got a fuel pressure code in addition to the misfire codes. Maybe just coil pack(s)? I replaced plugs with NGK Iridiums at about 36k, so the plugs should be fine, I would think.

Car runs fine if I stay off of the loud pedal a bit. 2/3 to 3/4 throttle is when she starts to miss and buck. REALLY hard to drive without getting into the turbo!

Old 11-09-2015, 06:04 AM
roadrunner255
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Having the same issue with my GP2, plugs were fowled with carbon. Taking it into the dealer Thursday.

Didn't find any codes on my generic scanner, we'll see.

Cheers!

Old 11-09-2015, 11:54 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
What did they say was the diagnosis? For anyone wanting to test to see if it is the HPFP, we have some info that can help with that in this article here.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 11-09-2015, 04:20 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 571 Likes on 487 Posts
Check your warranty booklet, look at the US & CA emissions info. HPFP could be covered as an emissions component. 7 or 8 years. 49K miles is under threshold as I recall.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:43 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
No diagnosis yet. Well, at least I haven't heard from the dealer yet. If it is the HPFP, it was just replaced in Feb of this year, maybe 13k ago. I would hope that they would warranty that, being so new.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:03 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
SA called me today. Said he had contacted warranty company, seeking replacement of all 4 coils, as my plugs were fine, HPFP was doing as it should, no other faults found. I would think that misfires would be covered under emissions warranty? Nope. SA is also seeking trans input shaft seal leak (which I never saw), including a "sleeve" (I know what that is, it's to cover up the damage done to the actual shaft, not happy about that!) to be covered, as well as possible accesory belt tensioner replacement, maybe aux water pump as well. I asked SA if the warranty company would also cover the clutch (which has been fine) if found to be contaminated with oil from the leaky seal. SA said nope, only covers the seal. WTF? My clutch feels fine right now, but if the leaking seal has fooked up my clutch, I am on the hook for replacing the clutch? Yup. So, while it's out, I told him that I wanna see the clutch disc, then make my decision. I am hard on my MINI, but at 50k, and knowing how I use my clutch (gently) probably have another 50k plus left...IF the leak has not fooked up my clutch material. I LOVE the way these warranty companies "spin" stuff! I could be on the hook for a clutch because a "covered" seal took it out? Geez. And WTF. And "sleeving?" I love my MINI, but....now starting to see the issues that crop up after a few miles. I usually get 200k plus from my rides. I was hoping for the same or more from my MINI. Waiting....

Last edited by renchjeep; 11-11-2015 at 10:14 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:24 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,099 Likes on 1,873 Posts
Sometimes those aftermarket warranty companies have small print on clutches, wear and tear ...etc They will try to get out of everything if you make a claim. You have to push them, been there before.

Were the coils rusted on the sleeves or water seeps down past the seal ? Pic of coils.

The HPFP been noted here:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...r-r56-jcw.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 11-12-2015, 07:15 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
SA called today. Warranty rep looked at car, said they would cover 4 coils, belt tensioner, and water pump pulley (I think). Will not cover trans input shaft seal leak, as it is only seeping and not dripping. Said to call back when it IS leaking, and they will cover it. Not a clutch, though. Oh well. Hope it never starts dripping, right? Also, I found it odd that the coil packs were NOT covered under MINI emissions warranty. I would think they should be, but what do I know? Parts on order. Maybe I can get it back tomorrow or Saturday. Maybe not til Monday.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:50 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Update

I know, it's been a while. Believe me, I know! The 2015 Cooper loaner is OK, the 3 cyl turbo engine pulls pretty well, but the auto trans? Not a fan of that slushbox. Anyway....hoping to get my MINI back tomorrow. SA said the warranty company agreed to all 4 coils, the acc belt tensioner, the water pump pulley, AND the aux water pump for the noise. First aux water pump they got was not talking to the ECM, may have been damaged during install. ? This will be the third aux water pump, not counting the one that they just got which did not function properly. They were planning to get it all put back together today, do extensive test drives, then try a cold start tomorrow morning. Sorry for the saga. But, I will post up once I get her back, and let everyone know what was covered, the final results, and how much it ends up costing me. Supposedly only a $50.00 deductible with my extended Hendricks warranty. If I hand them 50 bucks and drive away with a happy MINI, I will be impressed. We shall see....

Old 11-19-2015, 05:53 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Just got home with my MINI. Total cost? $48.33! Runs flawlessly now. Now, to let it go to sleep, disco the battery, and re-install my JB+. I can REALLY feel that it is off!

ECSTuning...coils show no signs of moisture or rust. All 4 were replaced. I have the old parts, but no way of knowing which 2 were failing, as the tech didn't mark them.

Old 11-20-2015, 05:45 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,099 Likes on 1,873 Posts
Thanks for the update, glad it was just those coils. Now back to some motoring.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172