R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Pre-purchase help (MO)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 07:52 AM
bshane
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pre-purchase help (MO)

Hello NAMsters! I made an offer to buy an "excellent condition- needs nothing- no accidents, etc" Craigslist MCS 2011, contingent upon a PPI from the nearest ( three hour drive away!). Seller confident I vehicle condition an not meeting me for PPI due to travel, and I'm looking to fly in for PPI and purchase. I could fly out and look it over myself, but would prefer a recommendation for mechanic or NAM member willing to look it over for reasonable fee before I fly to Central Missouri- 65049zip. Secondly, I may have missed it posted elsewhere, but is there already a handy PPI checklist I could use? Many thanks, and Mini thanks, s

Old 11-14-2015, 02:36 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by bshane
Hello NAMsters! I made an offer to buy an "excellent condition- needs nothing- no accidents, etc" Craigslist MCS 2011, contingent upon a PPI from the nearest ( three hour drive away!). Seller confident I vehicle condition an not meeting me for PPI due to travel, and I'm looking to fly in for PPI and purchase. I could fly out and look it over myself, but would prefer a recommendation for mechanic or NAM member willing to look it over for reasonable fee before I fly to Central Missouri- 65049zip. Secondly, I may have missed it posted elsewhere, but is there already a handy PPI checklist I could use? Many thanks, and Mini thanks, s
Definitely get a PPI....I was casually shopping for a used MINI earlier this year. Read up on the typical problems with the 1st & 2nd Gen MINI's, talked with my Independent BMW mechanic & he steered me away from the earlier versions. I ended up buying a new F56 & I'm glad I did. If you really like the one you are considering gather all the info on the car along with any gremlins associated with that model, plus a PPI if you get that far.

My best advice is to not overpay!

Good luck,

John

Last edited by 02fanatic; 11-14-2015 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-14-2015, 03:47 PM
bshane
1st Gear
Thank you John. I've been close to buying new, but this 2011 sure looks good and I wouldn't worry so much about trying to keep it looking brand new. I'm still tooting kids around and will share the garage with bikes and such...anyway, I called the dealer where seller said it was serviced. Seems that he kept up the maintenance, no issues, just routine stuff, but last time at dealer was 12/14. I can understand that, being three hours away. My offer included splitting the cost of recommended repairs based on the PPI. Seller replied any PPI and repairs would have to come after purchase, and stood by the "no problems" descriptions. So, it's five years old, 1/3 the cost of my new build, and not inspected. Thinking in line with your advice of not overpaying, I may counter with a lower offer and take it as is. Not sure; thanks again for the reply and congrats on the new F!

Old 11-14-2015, 04:52 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
I did a search for mini independents for that zip code. Nada, the closest was in St. Louis, which I suspect is where the mini dealer is located. Is a hassle, but you really need to get a PPI on it before taking delivery.

Old 11-14-2015, 05:19 PM
bshane
1st Gear
Thanks, great idea. Car is three hours from KC and STL Mini Dealers! Wish there was one closer - car is in the middle of nowhere. Near Fort Lostinthewoods! I will try to find someone locally who can look it over for me. I really appreciate all the reinforcing of the imprtance of the PPI; keeping me from taking on too much risk. Otherwise my impulsiveness and love of the car would have me buying it sight unseen.

Old 11-14-2015, 05:25 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
Ya, these cars can be real money pits. I think the '11 has the n18 engine, which is a plus. How many miles on it?

Old 11-14-2015, 06:05 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bshane
Thanks, great idea. Car is three hours from KC and STL Mini Dealers! Wish there was one closer - car is in the middle of nowhere. Near Fort Lostinthewoods! I will try to find someone locally who can look it over for me. I really appreciate all the reinforcing of the imprtance of the PPI; keeping me from taking on too much risk. Otherwise my impulsiveness and love of the car would have me buying it sight unseen.
Central MO is a beautiful place (although humid in the summer for sure). I went to college in Rolla, MO...and I know Ft Leonard Wood quite well also, thanks to the US Army! This was many years ago!!!

I know where you are at (with wanting this MINI)....the car that got me shopping last winter is still sitting on the lot of a small car dealer/mechanic near where I work (1 owner 92,000 2004 R53 MCS). I drive by it every morning and still want to buy it! The guy just wants too much & the car needs love....that's the problem with used MINI's unless you really know the car and/or the seller.

As much as I love the supercharged R53's, buying used is a crap shoot...the supercharger will need to be replaced at some point. The R56 MINI's have their own issues, although the turbocharged engines of the later years are pretty good....as I recall the N14 is the engine that had the issues....then the N18 came along late in '11 or maybe it was 2012.

As time has passed the build quality of the MINI has definitely evolved, but that doesn't mean you can't find a solid used MINI of either Generation.

For me, I just wanted to have one to play with and drive to work and not worry about it...a few dings might even be acceptable (hard for a perfectionist to say, believe me!).....but, in the end, I buy a new JCW and I'm afraid to park it just about anywhere! So, I get your point to buy a used one and not worry so much about it!...and not spend so much. Well, the grey '04 MCS with black roof & bonnet stripes is still on the lot down the street!... @ $7,500!

I'd probably put $5,000 or $10,000 into that car making it perfect and I would be playing catch up all the while! LOL! See my point?

So, in the end, it really depends on the car's condition and how you want to use it.

Your best bet may be to go for at least a 2012 MINI, or a later JCW (the engine internals are BMW as I recall).

The car that got me into a new F56 JCW was an '11 JCW that was a one owner car with a new clutch...had around 56,000 miles. The dealer messed around and didn't return my calls or email (then they dropped the price on Autotrader), and too much time passed before I drove 1.5 hours to see the car...and when I arrived the new owner was just leaving (with my car!) I probably would have bought that one (asking around $17,900). At least I got to see it and sit in it before the new owner drove off in it.

So, now you know how I ended up with ordering a new one...and that's another whole story in itself....but, I love the F56 JCW!

Sorry for the long winded reply, but maybe now you know that there are others out here who know "exactly" how you feel!

Please post up what you find out and how things go...best of luck,

John

Old 11-14-2015, 08:28 PM
bshane
1st Gear
Well, problem solved...he sold it today. Kind of surprised - thought I would get a chance to finish our negotiations, but I understand if someone shows up with money. I think I missed out on a great car, but maybe it's for the best. John, might turn out like your story! I am already looking forward to a 4dr 2016.

My Motoring Advisor, though in the dark about my used car shopping, will be happy if I can ever launder enough money away from the boss and finally custom order the new Mini for Springtime motoring. I've filled up my online garage!

The used one was listed on the Ozark Lake area CL, 2011 MCS PW/B, 50k miles, $12500. classy car and seller.

I was actually looking forward to the road trip driving it home, especially if my son could come along too. I've ridden the Katy rail-trail by bike, when the Army sent me to Ft Leavenworth (the good side), but never got to Ft Leonardwood - not stopping now.

Today, back to my other mini - the minivan.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:35 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Oh too bad! That sucks, but I know how that feels!

As they say, "Everything happens for the best."

Go for a new one now, just the way you want it. Have a full warranty, even extended warranty up to 100,000 miles or 7 years!

Interest rates are really low, so payments can be kept reasonable!

Over the winter have fun designing your new F56 4 Door!

All the best,

John

Old 11-17-2015, 09:17 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Sorry to hear! But don't worry, be patient. The right one will come around and as others have stated definitely get a PPI done with someone well versed in MINI's. Good luck!

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST