R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 JB+ and Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 04:29 AM
ASRman
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JB+ and Warranty

Disclaimer: I am a complete newb in the world of BMW/MINI tuning so apologies in advance for the very basic questions.

I have just ordered the new style JB+ from BMS (default is at 100%) and have a couple of questions regarding manufacturer warranty. Keep in mind I am by no means a technical expert, in fact, this is the first mod I have done on any car I have owned. I bit the bullet and decided to order the JB+ after reading through the whole 100 page thread on here and researching generally over the net on BMS and piggyback type tunes.

1. I understand that any tune will increase the risk that something will go wrong with my car due to the extra power and strain on the internals (also how I drive will equally increase risk). If by any chance something went wrong with the car and I had JB+ installed, and the part going wrong can be linked with JB+, would the manufacturer be able to detect that JB+ could possibly have caused the issue, even though it would have been removed from the car prior to taking in for service?

2. The second question follows from the first. If the above is correct does that mean I should not install the JB+ onto my car without first purchasing some sort of Code clearing tool so that when I take my car in for service they will not be able to see that I had a tune in place?

Many Thanks!

Old 11-21-2015, 09:34 AM
dongood
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The JB+ functions inline, it does not modify your ECU.

Simply remove before you go to the dealer and they will never know.

The DME must be off when adding or removing; and it stays on an additional 10 minutes or so after you turn the car off. You can hear it whining after the car is off.

So on nights before I visit the dealer I usually pop the hood to remind me to remove the JB+ before starting up in the morning.

Adding/removing the JB+ takes about 30 seconds.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:21 AM
ASRman
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your input dongood.

So apart from physically removing the JB+ from the car you don't feel it necessary to take any other precautionary measures prior to dealer visits? I have been snooping around on these forums and others and there is mention of certain hidden 'tuner codes' that can be thrown, which if seen by a dealer, will pretty much automatically void your warranty. I understand this is one of the reasons people use scanning tools such as the BT Tool to detect these codes and clear them as required.

I didn't want to purchase the scanning tool as it would up the price a bit outside my bracket (I am a student) but at the same time losing my warranty would undoubtedly hurt my wallet more so in the long run. I would like to hear if any other JB+ users who have not used a scanning tool have had any issues with their dealers picking up on these tuner codes and therefore refusing warranty work.