R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Timing Chain Class action Lawsuit Settled?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 06:29 AM
broncobuddha
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Systemlord
An in service date on a vehicle is when the original car warranty started on the vehicle when it was first purchased as a new vehicle. The in service date should not be confused with when the vehicle was originally manufactured, instead think of the in service date as the date that the first consumer drove the vehicle off the dealerships parking lot.

So if your car was sat on the dealer lot a year before it was purchased your warranty starts then.
Awesome, that's what I was wondering. I'll have to research to see when the warranty counter started on mine. Again, I'm not the original owner, but if I can get the new tensioner replaced for free that'd be sweet.

However, I'm wondering if I should do it now. I mean realistically, if the cutoff date is late June, when would these settlement benefits actually take effect?

Old 02-24-2016, 09:40 AM
clockworktomato
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cjny
This is a good question. I own a 2010 model yr MCS hardtop that appears to be excluded. Inexplicably, I just received the letter. One of the options in responding is to tell the court why you don't like the settlement. I intend to complain about the exclusion of the 2010 MCS hardtop. It may do no good but it's probably going to be my only opportunity to make the case.

I'm on my 3rd tensioner, and the last one was paid for by me. Plus my chain is stretched beyond the spec described in the TSB so it seems like just a matter of time before I have to change the whole thing.
I'm right there with you. My 2010 JCW has the N14 engine and I had to have my tensioner replaced at 55,000.

I noted on this thread that I e-mailed the settlement administrator to ask whether my car would be covered and/or how to recommend amendment of the covered class, but I just got a lame copy and paste of the exact text from the settlement document. Thanks.

So I'm assuming I'll also need to "object" to the settlement based on the narrow definition of the class vehicle -- it just seems it should extend to any MINI with the N14 engine.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:21 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by broncobuddha
Awesome, that's what I was wondering. I'll have to research to see when the warranty counter started on mine. Again, I'm not the original owner, but if I can get the new tensioner replaced for free that'd be sweet.

However, I'm wondering if I should do it now. I mean realistically, if the cutoff date is late June, when would these settlement benefits actually take effect?
If you do it now you'll need documentation that you indeed have the "death rattle" in writing on your estimate and work order by whoever performs the timing chain replacement, if you want to perform preventative maintenance that's on your dime. There's a reason why Mini designed yet another tensioner (5th gen) it's for the simple fact that with the previous gen tensioners were still failing at a consistent rate. My tensioner (3rd gen) that was installed at the time of my timing chain replacement started failing after just a year. It's cheap insurance when you consider the alternative, an engine replacement costing $7000+. We spend much less on full coverage insurance in just a single month.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:25 AM
broncobuddha
3rd Gear
To clarify, when I mentioned doing it now, I just meant the tensioner, not the chain.

I don't have a rattle really, but I have no idea if the tensioner was updated at all when the timing chain was performed on my car or if it's still the original.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:40 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by broncobuddha
To clarify, when I mentioned doing it now, I just meant the tensioner, not the chain.

I don't have a rattle really, but I have no idea if the tensioner was updated at all when the timing chain was performed on my car or if it's still the original.
If there's a dimple in the center of the tensioner it's not the latest design, this is how the dealers determine if the older parts or the latest part is installed by simple visual inspection. The latest tensioner hasn't been out long so if you haven't had it replaced in the last year then odds are yours is the older tensioner.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:55 AM
broncobuddha
3rd Gear
Yep. This coming may, I'll have had the car for two years. Bought it with 48k on it and the chain was replaced at 34k miles.

Interesting thing on mine. Before I bought it I got the VIN, looked up info on the BMW archive, talked to my local dealer and got a limited history. Ended up tracking down the original dealer that sold it new somewhere in OH and talked to a SA there.

The history they had showed that there wasn't necessarily a problem with the original chain but since they had the TSB in hand, they went ahead and did it. Kinda cool.

Old 02-24-2016, 03:47 PM
cjny
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jontalk
Seriously? You're on the THIRD tensioner now? Am curious if you monitored the oil levels and topped off when low since you've owned the car. I was looking at one like yours with 54K miles that never had it done, and decided against it due to the major problems with this engine. And as I said I find it VERY odd they don't include hardtops since around here in the SF area there are 20 hardtops to every convertible.. And based on what you say here it's obviously the SAME engine too!
First one was replaced preemptively by the dealer shortly after I bought the vehicle new. Presumably to update the vehicle to the latest version. The second change was recent, prompted by increasing rattle.

I check my oil once per week, about every 250 miles. Thankfully oil consumption hasn't been much of an issue for me - < 1 qt in 5000 miles. Probably most of that get wiped off the dip stick. The neglect argument simply does not apply to this case.

Old 02-24-2016, 04:55 PM
someguyfromMaryland
2nd Gear
OK, you've got my attention. I have an 09 R56 with only 36k on it and I haven't received any settlement solicitation. If I read this thread correctly, a 7 yr/100k mi warranty means I have to get the car fixed by April since I bought it in April of 09. How do I get information? Is the original dealer obligated to send me something? I had the SB performed back in 2010 or 2011, so I'm sure I have an older tensioner. That would also explain why I hear the rattle when the car has sat for a few weeks.

Thanks for any input!!

Old 02-25-2016, 02:07 PM
33EJB
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Two questions about this:

1. Cooper S only? Or is a Justa with a noisy timing chain covered too?

2. This is a U.S. lawsuit - - anyone know of plans for coverage for us Canadian MINI owners? Engine & issues are the same in U.S. and Canada - you'd think BMW would throw some love our way too. (I fear that I know the answer to this already...)

Old 02-25-2016, 08:42 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by someguyfromMaryland
OK, you've got my attention. I have an 09 R56 with only 36k on it and I haven't received any settlement solicitation. If I read this thread correctly, a 7 yr/100k mi warranty means I have to get the car fixed by April since I bought it in April of 09. How do I get information? Is the original dealer obligated to send me something? I had the SB performed back in 2010 or 2011, so I'm sure I have an older tensioner. That would also explain why I hear the rattle when the car has sat for a few weeks.

Thanks for any input!!
You probably have a 2nd Gen tensioner installed and even if you had a 4th Gen tensioner there's little difference between the 1th-4th gen tensioners. I had a 3rd gen installed in 2013. 5th gen was a huge improvement!

Old 02-27-2016, 03:09 PM
jclarke99
1st Gear
Originally Posted by someguyfromMaryland

Thanks for any input!!
My understanding is that if you do nothing your warranty becomes 7 yr / 100k mi, but you have up to ~ June 20, 2016 to have it repaired/replaced if it needs repair/replacement. Of course this all depends on whether the court provides final approval on May 9.

FYI, I took my Clubman 08 (50k miles) in to the dealer 2 days ago. They heard the death rattle and measured the chain - came to 70mm whereas spec is 68mm. Cost $1800 for replacement. So, fingers crossed on final court approval.

Old 02-28-2016, 01:55 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jclarke99
My understanding is that if you do nothing your warranty becomes 7 yr / 100k mi, but you have up to ~ June 20, 2016 to have it repaired/replaced if it needs repair/replacement. Of course this all depends on whether the court provides final approval on May 9.

FYI, I took my Clubman 08 (50k miles) in to the dealer 2 days ago. They heard the death rattle and measured the chain - came to 70mm whereas spec is 68mm. Cost $1800 for replacement. So, fingers crossed on final court approval.
I seriously doubt it won't get approval given that it's affecting so many cars and the fact that there are countless other lawsuits who have won.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:59 PM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I suggest you send back an OBJECTION to the settlement, because the 'extended warranty coverage' for the issue has already expired for 2007-08 years models, and is expiring as I type for the 2009 m.y. MINIs. The proposed warranty extension settlement really only offers minor benefit for 2010 m.y. cars.
-------
WARRANTY EXTENSION FOR COVERED PARTS
(“Covered Parts” means timing-chain tensioner; sealing ring; timing chain; guide rail; tensioner rail; sliding rail; sprocket on the crankshaft; bearing bolts for the tensioner and guide rails. Where a timing chain has been repaired or replaced, “Covered Parts” includes oil change, oil filter, and cleaning of oil pan.")
All Class Vehicles will receive an automatic warranty extension for original Covered Parts, which will run for 7 years/100,000 miles from the Class Vehicle’s in-service date, whichever comes first, and will be subject to the terms and conditions of the MINI Warranty.
------
P.S. I heard a dealer tell a customer with a 2008 that only had 50,000 miles on the odo that their timing chain repair estimate was $9K. Because they fall outside of the proposed extended warranty, there may not be any coverage for them.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:49 AM
bettehead
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I finally had a chance to really read this, and as pm points out above, it's really nothing for cars make/taken ownership of in 2008. I got my 2009 MINI Cooper S in November 2008, so from what I understand, there is nothing offered to me in this lawsuit. Any "extended warranty" has expired and any reimbursement is for repairs done by the claims date of 6/20. Early on, I had the tensioner and belt replaced as per TSB, but nothing further. Guess I'm stuck?

Question: some folks have made posts about having timing belts measured. Is there a ton of labor $ to do this? In other words, is there a way I can tell if a timing belt issue is imminent?

Many thanks!

Old 06-28-2016, 03:23 AM
bettehead
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just got a notice that the deadline has been extended. Maybe I'll write a letter of objection. Gah.

Old 06-28-2016, 05:47 AM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bettehead
I finally had a chance to really read this, and as pm points out above, it's really nothing for cars make/taken ownership of in 2008. I got my 2009 MINI Cooper S in November 2008, so from what I understand, there is nothing offered to me in this lawsuit. Any "extended warranty" has expired and any reimbursement is for repairs done by the claims date of 6/20. Early on, I had the tensioner and belt replaced as per TSB, but nothing further. Guess I'm stuck?

Question: some folks have made posts about having timing belts measured. Is there a ton of labor $ to do this? In other words, is there a way I can tell if a timing belt issue is imminent?

Many thanks!
It's IMPORTANT that you write the letter removing yourself from the settlement (should there be a second lawsuit), or a letter complaining about the settlement (in the oft chance the court changes the settlement).

Yes, as I understand it, the chain slack can be measured 'fairly' easily. Call a dealership or an independent shop.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:56 AM
clockworktomato
2nd Gear
Update: I just received my settlement check! I have a 2010 JCW, which has the N14 engine, but wasn't specifically named in the settlement class. I wasn't sure my car would be covered even though I had my tensioner replaced at 55k miles.

I included a brief note explaining why my car should be part of the settlement class, which must have helped! Full repair costs reimbursed.

Old 11-08-2016, 01:47 PM
NB Cooper
4th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by clockworktomato
Update: I just received my settlement check! I have a 2010 JCW, which has the N14 engine,
Wow nice to hear that they stood behind the car finally but it would be better, in my feeble mind, if they developed a permanent fix and then stood behind it. Just saying.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:20 PM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
I received my settlement check too today $187 for the timing chain tensioner replacement I paid for out of pocket. 2008 MCS with 63k miles at the time.