R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 2011 R56 suspension trims

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 06:27 AM
Soulpatch
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 R56 suspension trims

After lurking for a couple of years, I finally managed to save up enough to get myself my very own MINI

I found a very good deal on a 2011 MCS, no Chili pack but better specced than Chili (???), HK audio, analog tach (Absolutely despise the navi on old MINIs), JCW seats and steering wheel, Pepper, adaptive lights and all that pizzazz.

Now here comes the real question. Not being Chili, this MCS doesn't have the Sports Suspension Plus package.

But information on the web is sparse and few, and I couldn't find a definitive answer to the differences from the regular suspension.
In fact, I am not sure whether the MCS has Sports Suspension as std. to begin with, or if it is the same as in the One and the Cooper.

Most of the info online is for the r53, and trims there were different. Regarding the r56, some say the only upgrade of the Plus over the Sports suspension are the thicker sway bars. Some say the springs and the struts are different, and some say the springs stay the same.

Since I'm on a fairly limited budget (student), I don't plan on replacing springs/struts anytime soon. A rear sway bar upgrade, however, would be a non-issue.

So, could anyone of you please help me figure out what the differences are?
Thank you!

L

Last edited by Soulpatch; 12-06-2015 at 06:34 AM.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:24 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I believe the sport suspension was a $500 add on to the package for the MCS and JCW. Believe they have larger sway bars, stiffer springs and shocks. There is some information in this NAM thread here. You can plug the vin into the decoder here and it'll tell you what your MINI does and doesn't have. The rear sway bar upgrade is probably one of the best bang for your buck mods that you can do.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 12-08-2015, 02:19 PM
tylewis
3rd Gear
How do I find out the exact trim of my MCS? I bought it used so is there an efficient way to look it up? Is there an online resource that I can look up the window sticker?

Old 12-08-2015, 02:22 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Originally Posted by tylewis
How do I find out the exact trim of my MCS? I bought it used so is there an efficient way to look it up? Is there an online resource that I can look up the window sticker?
Plug your vin into the decoder I listed above. NAM also has one here.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:21 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,865 Posts
If you have the JCW Tuning kit suspension it will have the red springs and the JCW logo sticker on the strut. Which is easy to tell and was an add on option or an after sales option.

I can also lookup info PM me or use some other ones.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...s-decoder.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-09-2015, 07:36 PM
Toolz
1st Gear
FYI - My struts\shock have "Sport" labeled right on them?

Old 12-10-2015, 12:27 AM
Summons
3rd Gear
As I remember it, the MCS does not come stock with the Sport Suspension Package - I had to buy it for my '12MCS - and with the stiffer sway bars, slightly lower ride height (1/2" lower than the standard suspension I think) and the 17" wheels (rather than 16" on the standard suspension) comes a big trade off...

MISERABLE RIDE QUALITY!!

So, if you can feel your spine tingling after a long drive in any beat up urban center, you may have the SSP upgrade.

Kidding aside, use the VIN decoder from that earlier post and you will know for sure.

I removed the stock SSP shocks a couple years ago and put in a set of Koni FSD shocks - perfect for a DD, but not suited to track use according to many posters here on NAM. That mod had a huge effect on my spine and sanity!

Shortly after the FSD install, my stock run flats needed replacement and I installed a set of BF Goodrich 215-45-17 non run flat tires. Next time my wife happened to run an errand with me in the Mini, she (no word of a lie) cussed me out for delaying replacement of the RF tires! She was right - the change was remarkable - I will NOT go back to RFTs.

The change to non RF tires is by far the best comfort mod you can install by attrition - ie when you have to shell out anyways...

A thicker sway bar reduces grip at the end of the car you put it on. So a rear sway bar will increase the tendency to over-steer. I gather this adds some fun to the driving experience...

Not to hijack the thread, but can anyone comment:

Reducing grip by installing a larger sway bar - shouldn't that be done in pairs to maintain the grip ratio front to back, or is the Mini considered poorly balanced in that regard, so benefits from a thicker rear bar? I ask as I note that a thicker rear sway bar is often an 'early' mod?
E

Old 12-10-2015, 07:44 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,865 Posts
Yes it was an option on the sport. from 16 to 17" on a MINI make a stiffer ride in comparison, especially if you have RF tires. Most replace the rear as its balances with the larger front. Like the rear sway bar is undersized from the factory.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-10-2015, 08:50 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Originally Posted by Summons
Not to hijack the thread, but can anyone comment:

Reducing grip by installing a larger sway bar - shouldn't that be done in pairs to maintain the grip ratio front to back, or is the Mini considered poorly balanced in that regard, so benefits from a thicker rear bar? I ask as I note that a thicker rear sway bar is often an 'early' mod?
E
A rear sway bar upgrade is one of the best bang for your buck mods on the MINI as it gives it improved initial turn in bite, rotation through the corner, and reducing understeer.