R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 JB+ Long Term Reliability???

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 05:40 PM
AFN704
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JB+ Long Term Reliability???

I just installed one. I am wondering what this does to the reliability to the engine and turbo long term. I would like this car to last. I have a 2012 MCS and i love it! I want to mod it more for handling but i would like to hit like 250hp and a little more tq then that. So far i just have the JB+ but i will be getting a CAI, Exhaust, Rear sway bar, front strut bar, intercooler, and better wheels, Maybe lower but i don't want to be scared of speed bumps so still debating. But back to the question at hand reliability? I have it set at 50% so i just run 93 octane not trying to do anything too crazy. This is my daily driver.

Old 12-19-2015, 06:35 AM
dongood
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got almost 30k miles on mine with no issues.

Sounds like you have an older JB+. They updated the firmware; new 100% equals old 50%. Basically they removed the ability to add even more boost than the default setting and made it CARB certified.

Old 12-19-2015, 06:46 AM
AFN704
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by dongood
I've got almost 30k miles on mine with no issues.

Sounds like you have an older JB+. They updated the firmware; new 100% equals old 50%. Basically they removed the ability to add even more boost than the default setting and made it CARB certified.
Yeah I'm assuming It is the old one. I actually just bought it used from this guy on the forum so I got a good price. I don't think I'll ever put it past 50 and I'll honestly tune it when the warrenty is up. Do you push your car hard from time to time? Day in and day out I drive normal but every now and then after a long day at work I like to take the long way home through some back roads and open up a little bit.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:46 AM
NathanMckee
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the JB+ as well, the older one since I can turn it up past 50%. All I have is an intake, and I also run a higher performance oil (Redline 5w-30) and I just last week turned it up to the next tick mark on the dial (I assume that's 60%) just to see how it runs. So far it has completed changed the way it pulls. I have been running my JB+ for 15K miles and have about 1K on the 60% tune and it has been amazing. It pulls way harder up in the higher rpm range and feels way faster than I was expecting. Merging onto highways I am seeing 10MPH higher speeds by the time I merge. I definitely suggest giving that a try.

And if you do, note that the changes don't take place right away, it has to adapt to the change. When I turned it up, it took about 5 full throttle pulls to start making more power. Totally worth it.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:52 AM
AFN704
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by NathanMckee
I have the JB+ as well, the older one since I can turn it up past 50%. All I have is an intake, and I also run a higher performance oil (Redline 5w-30) and I just last week turned it up to the next tick mark on the dial (I assume that's 60%) just to see how it runs. So far it has completed changed the way it pulls. I have been running my JB+ for 15K miles and have about 1K on the 60% tune and it has been amazing. It pulls way harder up in the higher rpm range and feels way faster than I was expecting. Merging onto highways I am seeing 10MPH higher speeds by the time I merge. I definitely suggest giving that a try.

And if you do, note that the changes don't take place right away, it has to adapt to the change. When I turned it up, it took about 5 full throttle pulls to start making more power. Totally worth it.
How do I tell if it's the newer vs older one. I bought it used so I didn't get anything with it

Old 12-23-2015, 07:09 AM
NathanMckee
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you open the JB+ up (two screws) and the dial is in the middle, you can turn yours up (the old one) but if your dial is all the way turned to the right, you have the new one and cannot turn it up.

I'm also just going off of what they said above, I did not even know there was a new one.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:01 AM
dongood
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The new models are CARB certified so there should be a CARB label.

Old 12-23-2015, 11:55 AM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
The JB+ runs a higher portion of the stock maps, as if it were operating at a higher altitude. The stock maps run lean and hot for mpg and heat wears things down sooner. Change oil every 5k, let the car idle for 5 mins before shutdown, or blast the AC full cold max fan for the last 5 mins of driving then idle for a minute or two is all you can do to maximize longevity.

If you have an auto, drain fill the fluid every other oil change as the tranny is 'cooled' by the 105C engine coolant.

Old 12-25-2015, 12:16 PM
AFN704
3rd Gear
Okay thanks for the information! So it shouldn't hurt it too bad if i don't dog it every time i drive. I actually baby my car a lot. It's only when i find a nice back road when i'll actually step on it a little but i never go to red line. I'll start doing those and i plan to change my oil way more often then normal as i've heard these cars guzzle up some oil.

Old 12-25-2015, 11:44 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by AFN704
Okay thanks for the information! So it shouldn't hurt it too bad if i don't dog it every time i drive. I actually baby my car a lot. It's only when i find a nice back road when i'll actually step on it a little but i never go to red line. I'll start doing those and i plan to change my oil way more often then normal as i've heard these cars guzzle up some oil.
So long as you let the engine warm up first redline shouldn't be a problem. Most times you won't need to anyway since all the torque is down low on the rpm range. Check the oil level between changes to see if it is using any. Some engines use more than others, maybe the break-in procedure was different who knows. It's good to get to know your engine specifically.