R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 PLEASE HELP rims and tires!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2015 | 12:06 PM
AFN704
|
3rd Gear
PLEASE HELP rims and tires!!!

I will be getting rims. I know nothing about rims. What size should i get and what off set. Will they just fit? I want them to wider and i don't want run flats. Budget is aroung $1000 give or take. I want black rims. I know there is a good website for our rims but like i said i don't know what to look for. Any help would be amazing. I'm open to suggestions. I have to have black rims and I like more smaller spokes as opposed to larger ones. Thanks in advanced!

Old 12-28-2015 | 06:01 PM
countryshooter
1st Gear
I am in the same stage of getting a new set of rims. I got 2015 JCW w/17" rims. I thinking about 18" but there are slim pickings because of the brake clearance. talking to outmotoring.com and said that nm is redesigning RSe12 rims to fit JCWs special order I think. So it comes down to what kind of Mini you got. hope that helps alittle.

Old 12-28-2015 | 06:35 PM
AFN704
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by countryshooter
I am in the same stage of getting a new set of rims. I got 2015 JCW w/17" rims. I thinking about 18" but there are slim pickings because of the brake clearance. talking to outmotoring.com and said that nm is redesigning RSe12 rims to fit JCWs special order I think. So it comes down to what kind of Mini you got. hope that helps alittle.
Thanks for the reply. I have a Mini Cooper s so I don't have to worry about the brakes. I currently have 16 inch rims but I think they are too small. And my car needs black rims because it's baby blue and I want to darken it up to match the window tint. I can't decide between 17 or 18 I believe 18 inch tires would be more expensive as they would have to be skinnier. I have no idea what offset is for.

Old 12-28-2015 | 08:57 PM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Best way to shop around wheels is google "R56 Mini (insert size) wheels". See what size and style you like. Look around at other Minis you see that catch your eye.

I personally went about 6 months between 17s and 18s before finally ordering Sparco Assetto Gara 17x7 wheels with Pirelli P Zero Nero 205/40r17 tires. Personally I think 18s look a little ghetto. If there was a 17.5" wheel I'd be all over it. I'm going to be doing lowering springs as well but I find the stock ride height looks good with 17s.

This diagram explains wheel offset:

I would be more concerned with the actual aesthetics of the wheel before offset. Any good dealer like TireRack will only give you wheels that fit, or on the used market you definitely know they fit because they have been on the car already.

$1k is a bit of a skinny budget for wheels so I'd definitely consider going used, the TPMS is the killer either way. Adds a bit over $200 if you buy new or buy used without them installed already. There's a good marketplace here or if you can find craigslist or local wheel exchange group on facebook look for 4x100 wheels with tires or get new tires installed on used wheels with the TPMS.

Old 12-29-2015 | 03:02 AM
countryshooter
1st Gear
good explanation. if you go with the 17" route and live in the northeast I will be having a set of hankook 205/45r17 all season runflats 5k miles for sale soon. Im looking at 18" but still debating

Originally Posted by thebombardier
Best way to shop around wheels is google "R56 Mini (insert size) wheels". See what size and style you like. Look around at other Minis you see that catch your eye.

I personally went about 6 months between 17s and 18s before finally ordering Sparco Assetto Gara 17x7 wheels with Pirelli P Zero Nero 205/40r17 tires. Personally I think 18s look a little ghetto. If there was a 17.5" wheel I'd be all over it. I'm going to be doing lowering springs as well but I find the stock ride height looks good with 17s.

This diagram explains wheel offset:

I would be more concerned with the actual aesthetics of the wheel before offset. Any good dealer like TireRack will only give you wheels that fit, or on the used market you definitely know they fit because they have been on the car already.

$1k is a bit of a skinny budget for wheels so I'd definitely consider going used, the TPMS is the killer either way. Adds a bit over $200 if you buy new or buy used without them installed already. There's a good marketplace here or if you can find craigslist or local wheel exchange group on facebook look for 4x100 wheels with tires or get new tires installed on used wheels with the TPMS.

Old 12-29-2015 | 07:33 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
For the R56 , just make sure you have JCW brakes or stock, that makes a difference. We carry NM engineering, Genuine MINI for the R56 models.

www.ecstuning.com

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172