R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Stage 2 vs. 3

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 06:39 PM
AFN704
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stage 2 vs. 3

Looking into getting a tune since the MINI dealership decided to misinform me about me warrenty and that I now have none. Anyways I digress. What tunes are out there, what mods if any do I need for them, what gains can be expected, is it worth it? I'm really trying to work my way towards it in buying the parts. I wasn't sure if I should get like a brand tune or get a Dino tune at a local shop. I would like one that has different maps that I can switch around. If the tunes are done properly is there any danger in doing them? I know getting more power out of the engine obviously puts more wear and tear but is it a significant amount?

Old 02-16-2016, 06:53 PM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
What's your budget and what do you plan on using the car for?

If you're just going to do street use stage 2 is almost more than enough. Plus that is mostly simple bolt on mods to do. Stage 3 is where you start getting into replacement performance clutch, meth injection, possibly a bigger turbo. Unless you're serious about your car and see yourself tracking it that may not be worth the money for you.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:01 PM
AFN704
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by thebombardier
What's your budget and what do you plan on using the car for?

If you're just going to do street use stage 2 is almost more than enough. Plus that is mostly simple bolt on mods to do. Stage 3 is where you start getting into replacement performance clutch, meth injection, possibly a bigger turbo. Unless you're serious about your car and see yourself tracking it that may not be worth the money for you.
Thanks for the help. To answer your question it my daily driver so I would probably say I'll go with a stage 2. I don't have a budget but I don't mean that in the sense that I have unlimited money. I just would rather save up and do it right rather than cheap out. That being said I don't want to spend crazy amounts. Bolt ons are probably good enough. I'd like to get to roughly 240-250 hp if possible. I just want it to be a fast back roads warrior basically. This is the first car I've modded if you don't count the speakers I installed in my altima. That was a great car had it for 80,000 miles never saw the check engine light. Not sure I'll be able to say the same about this lol. Still love it more though. My mini is my baby. I just want the best for her and I think that's speed haha.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:57 PM
AFN704
3rd Gear
So what tunes do people recommend? Should i just get a custom dyno tune? i don't have any MINI tuners in my area unfortunately. Also what bolt ons do you recommend? Intake, catback exhaust, FMIC? Not sure what all i need. I may also do the hot side boost tube and a BOV.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:19 PM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by AFN704
So what tunes do people recommend? Should i just get a custom dyno tune? i don't have any MINI tuners in my area unfortunately. Also what bolt ons do you recommend? Intake, catback exhaust, FMIC? Not sure what all i need. I may also do the hot side boost tube and a BOV.
Unfortunately you might be hard pressed to find anyone that will try to touch the encrypted ECU. Even guys around me who do BMWs shot me down.

Manic is definitely the most popular option for the R56. They have a map of dealers if you haven't checked that already.

IDK about other companies but Manic Stage 2 recommends FMIC, CAI, full exhaust. At the very least you need the exhaust but running more boost you want that front mount too. BOV isn't necessary. Just see how you're running on the stock diverter valve and get an upgraded one if you need it. If you want the BOV sound an intake increases turbo noise significantly.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:22 PM
AFN704
3rd Gear
I'll have to look again where there is one. I believe when last time i looked there was one in Virginia and i live in NC so not impossible just a long drive especially on the way back testing out a fresh tune hoping that it works. By full exhaust i take it you mean from the turbo back or is cat back good enough? what do you recommend. Not trying to break the bank on a exhaust.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:29 PM
AFN704
3rd Gear
AAHHHHHH there is one like 45 minutes from me WTF. I had no idea. I thought there was nothing like that around here. Thank you google you are my friend and you guys too for recommending this. I guess i'll start working on getting the requirements. this will be the last performance oriented mod for my car. What brands for the bolt ons do you guys recommend?

Old 02-16-2016, 08:48 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
If you have the N18 engine, as I do in my 2011 MCS, my fave performance mods so far have been the JB+, ALTA hot-side tube, Alta 19mm rear swaybar, Forge BOV, Exhaust resonator delete, eBay intercooler (wish I had the money for a Helix) and my PiperCross air filter. Oh, and the yellow PowerFlex insert. I did all of these myself, with the exception of the exh resonator delete. That cost me like 40 bucks at a local muffler shop.

If I were to spring for an ECM tune, I would go Manic. At that point, the level of tune will call out for needed mods along with the tune.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:56 AM
AFN704
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by renchjeep
If you have the N18 engine, as I do in my 2011 MCS, my fave performance mods so far have been the JB+, ALTA hot-side tube, Alta 19mm rear swaybar, Forge BOV, Exhaust resonator delete, eBay intercooler (wish I had the money for a Helix) and my PiperCross air filter. Oh, and the yellow PowerFlex insert. I did all of these myself, with the exception of the exh resonator delete. That cost me like 40 bucks at a local muffler shop.

If I were to spring for an ECM tune, I would go Manic. At that point, the level of tune will call out for needed mods along with the tune.
Okay I actually have the JB+ as well. I feel like I should get a tune though as that devices make me a little nervous about running lean since it only adds more air to the engine. I've also been looking at the Mini madness 22mm rear sway bar. I just installed the lower motor mounts from power flex. I love it although going into first gear likes to vibrate the car for a second. I though about eBay intercooler. They are way cheaper and I've heard good things about them. How did you like the resonator delete? And could you feel any difference with the hot side boost tube?

Old 02-17-2016, 09:52 AM
R56in
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AFN704
Okay I actually have the JB+ as well. I feel like I should get a tune though as that devices make me a little nervous about running lean since it only adds more air to the engine. I've also been looking at the Mini madness 22mm rear sway bar. I just installed the lower motor mounts from power flex. I love it although going into first gear likes to vibrate the car for a second. I though about eBay intercooler. They are way cheaper and I've heard good things about them. How did you like the resonator delete? And could you feel any difference with the hot side boost tube?
The JB+ has proven pretty safe to use as long as you follow the instructions for setting the dial correctly. You are correct that it adds more airflow, but it also adds the appropriate amount of fuel. When I tested it, it ran about 11.5 to 10.7 AFR on WOT which is ok. That being said, its always better to get a true tune though.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:55 AM
AFN704
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by R56in
The JB+ has proven pretty safe to use as long as you follow the instructions for setting the dial correctly. You are correct that it adds more airflow, but it also adds the appropriate amount of fuel. When I tested it, it ran about 11.5 to 10.7 AFR on WOT which is ok. That being said, its always better to get a true tune though.
Oh alright awesome thankyou. I'm using it at 50% so I'm not pushing it too much. I though it may add more fuel since it's using the stock maps which should account for more air by adding more fuel but wasn't sure. Someone at the dealer said piggy back tunes can lean out the car and then it'll need new pistons. The JB+ is how the car should have came from the factory.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:22 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
AFN704---I love the exhaust with the resonator delete. It is all stock otherwise, but makes a very nice sound. No drone. Pops and burbles seem more pronounced. Can't say I "felt" any difference with the hot side tube.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:44 PM
AFN704
3rd Gear
Thanks for the input. How much was it to have the resonator delete done? Does it make it really loud or just a better loud. I don t want my car to sound like a 90's civic with the only mod being a fart box lol. I plan on doing a full exhaust since I'm working towards stage two. I was planning on doing wheels and rims next but that tune sounds so much more appealing that I might work towards that. I just want new rims before I run through these tire so I don't have to wait another 50,000 miles unless I just waste my tires.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:09 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Resonator delete cost me $40.00 at a local muffler shop that I do a lot of business with. Not "loud", but, yes, a better loud. More aggressive. Definitely nothing like a Civic with a fart-box. Way deeper tone. No raspy sound. I want a Borla system, but for now, this will have to do. If you don't like the sound, the resonator can be re-welded back into place.