R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 2011 MINI CooperS

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 07:05 AM
Jake Lee
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 MINI CooperS

Hi All, this is my first post and am looking for some insite.

Problem: (if it's a problem at all) After starting my mini (after sitting over night) and begin driving maybe 50 yards never getting the RPM above 2500 I'll release the accelerator and as the vehicle coasts a whine/whistle noise comes from the engine. I bought the MINI used 3 weeks ago with 56000 miles.. It was not doing this upon buying.. Can someone explain what it is or if I need to have it serviced.

Thank you !

Old 02-18-2016, 09:32 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Does it do it while you're doing this and then throw it into neutral while the vehicle coasts?Are you able to post a video by chance? When you're at idle and you rev it up and then let off does it do it? Any whistling under boost?

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 02-18-2016, 09:38 AM
Jake Lee
1st Gear
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Does it do it while you're doing this and then throw it into neutral while the vehicle coasts?Are you able to post a video by chance? When you're at idle and you rev it up and then let off does it do it? Any whistling under boost?

When the mini is running at idle in park- no it does not whistle or whine. It only whistle or whines from a cold start and only after I've driven a couple feet and let off the accelerator. After it does it that one time- never does it again while driving until it has set for a couple of hours and then as stated (it does the whine/ whistle thing)

Old 02-19-2016, 09:11 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,100 Likes on 1,873 Posts
What part of the engine do you hear it . Valve cover area or sound like its near the lower part of the transmission ? Do you have a Check engine light on ? How cold is it there ?

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-19-2016, 09:21 AM
Jake Lee
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
What part of the engine do you hear it . Valve cover area or sound like its near the lower part of the transmission ? Do you have a Check engine light on ? How cold is it there ?
It's hard to say exactly where it's coming from because you have to be driving for it to happen. It's around 65 F here. No check engine lights or codes. It almost sounds like brakes that need to be changed (trying to describe the type of whistle/pitch it makes) and it only will only do it if the engine is cold.

Going to work in the morning pulling out of my driveway - I'll accelerate to about 30mph and then let off the gas and let it coast to the stop sign on my road- it then whistles the entire distance until I stop. It never does it again until the next morning or if the car has cooled back off. I have no idea what it could be, I've been told the turbo is turning on.. And/or its a pulley. I don't think it's a pulley because it only does it once in the morning. Not all through the day.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:26 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
So its stops when the car stops. You might have pad sensor that have been tied back ( usually shows a pad sensor wear light when pads are all the way down ), low pads rubbing on the lip created on the brake rotor that is also worn. Its a high pitched crapping that sound like a whine ?

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-19-2016, 09:29 AM
Jake Lee
1st Gear
So its stops when the car stops. You might have pad sensor that have been tied back ( usually shows a pad sensor wear light when pads are all the way down ), low pads rubbing on the lip created on the brake rotor that is also worn. Its a high pitched crapping that sound like a whine ?
No lights or warnings at all. You think a brake pad sensory is getting stuck? And yes it will stop whistling/ high pitched whine, once the mini has almost come to a complete stop. It doesn't have to be fully stopped for the noise to quit.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:32 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
No, the low pads might be scrapping lip on the worn rotor and it hits it a bit till i wear off or the bad set back in the caliper a hair.

Do you have pics of the rotor / brake pads ?

Old 02-19-2016, 09:34 AM
Jake Lee
1st Gear
No, the low pads might be scrapping lip on the worn rotor and it hits it a bit till i wear off or the bad set back in the caliper a hair.

Do you have pics of the rotor / brake pads ?

No, I don't have any pictures. I can take some later today. The mini has 60k miles, should it need new brakes by now? Is that normal for that many miles. I'll post the pictures as soon as I can.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:37 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Originally Posted by Jake Lee
When the mini is running at idle in park- no it does not whistle or whine. It only whistle or whines from a cold start and only after I've driven a couple feet and let off the accelerator. After it does it that one time- never does it again while driving until it has set for a couple of hours and then as stated (it does the whine/ whistle thing)
If you can take a video of it as it might help. So when it's at idle in park and you rev it up to about 2500 does it make the noise?

Old 02-19-2016, 09:40 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Ok,

Yea that's about time for brakes if they are new. The reason on the pad sensor is some people when they change brakes , they dont replace the sensor and just short the wire , so when your pads are low , no light comes on and you don't know if the pads are very low till you hear scrapping or see the pads are low and a large lip on the rotor top.

Get a pic and if you see they are low , bet its that. Then get a new set front and rear.

Kits are here: If you have the stock silver color calipers then you have the stock brakes ( non John cooper works version ) .

https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2011-.../Service_Kits/

Old 02-19-2016, 09:43 AM
Jake Lee
1st Gear
Ok,

Yea that's about time for brakes if they are new. The reason on the pad sensor is some people when they change brakes , they dont replace the sensor and just short the wire , so when your pads are low , no light comes on and you don't know if the pads are very low till you hear scrapping or see the pads are low and a large lip on the rotor top.

Get a pic and if you see they are low , bet its that. Then get a new set front and rear.

Kits are here: If you have the stock silver color calipers then you have the stock brakes ( non John cooper works version ) .

https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2011-.../Service_Kits/

I'll get the picture and send it over, I don't know what I'm looking for.

Old 02-19-2016, 03:15 PM
Jake Lee
1st Gear
I'll get the picture and send it over, I don't know what I'm looking for.
While looking for the brake sensor I came across this.. I want to order this protective piece that the right side has.. I guess the owner before hit something and it tore off.. What is it called..

The first photos are of that protective piece that I'd like to get a name for or a link to order.. Second set is of the rotor and brake.. I'm doing a video in the morning..

Protective Panel- Passanger side

Driver side- missing protective cover

Old 02-19-2016, 04:00 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
The piece in your first picture is the splash guard panel #5 below and is only on that side. Do you have a JCW kit? Looks like that piece in the 2nd photo might just be part of the bumper, as you can see HERE.

If you want added extra protection for the underside of your MINI you could get an aluminum skid plate HERE. I have a skid plate and it has saved me many a times from hitting things in the road or driving in pretty harsh winter conditions.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:03 PM
Jake Lee
1st Gear
The piece in your first picture is the splash guard panel #5 below and is only on that side. Do you have a JCW kit? Looks like that piece in the 2nd photo might just be part of the bumper, as you can see HERE.

If you want added extra protection for the underside of your MINI you could get an aluminum skid plate HERE. I have a skid plate and it has saved me many a times from hitting things in the road or driving in pretty harsh winter conditions.
I will be purchasing one.. Who would you recommend getting one from or brand? Did you notice the rusted ding on the driver side.. What did they dent? Freaking out over here.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:09 PM
Jake Lee
1st Gear
I will be purchasing one.. Who would you recommend getting one from or brand? Did you notice the rusted ding on the driver side.. What did they dent? Freaking out over here.
Sorry did not notice the link. I'll order one soon. I might have to splurge on the brakes if that's the culprit.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:15 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
No worries! Yes, the one listed at the link is Rennline, which is a very good brand. It's the automatic transmission oil pan. I'm not sure where the pick up is in there, but if the dent is somehow restricting the inlet to it I'd look into getting it replaced as it could cause transmission issues. Have it HERE. I can help you with all the parts needed if you want to change it out. Just shoot me a PM.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:45 PM
enoe01
2nd Gear
Hey Pelican Parts, does the Aluminum plate take the place of the splash guard. I lost my splash guard, don't ask long story, and wanted to replace it.

Thanks
Erik

Old 02-19-2016, 05:00 PM
Jake Lee
1st Gear
Originally Posted by enoe01
Hey Pelican Parts, does the Aluminum plate take the place of the splash guard. I lost my splash guard, don't ask long story, and wanted to replace it.

Thanks
Erik
Erik, can you take a picture of your driver side undercarriage like I did. I'd like see what you looks like in comparison to mine.

Old 02-19-2016, 05:21 PM
enoe01
2nd Gear
I will try to remember to do it later tomorrow, I have to work 8-3 tomorrow. Not too sure what the importance of that splash guard is though. Mine had fallen down soon after my clutch was replaced, guess the screws were not all the way in. Well long story short it fell down and was dragging underneath my car on date night with the wife. I dint have a stubby Philips screw driver in the car so I had to rip it off from the underside so I could drive home without it dragging, breaking off and screwing something up under the car.

Erik, can you take a picture of your driver side undercarriage like I did. I'd like see what you looks like in comparison to mine.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:03 AM
Jake Lee
1st Gear
I will try to remember to do it later tomorrow, I have to work 8-3 tomorrow. Not too sure what the importance of that splash guard is though. Mine had fallen down soon after my clutch was replaced, guess the screws were not all the way in. Well long story short it fell down and was dragging underneath my car on date night with the wife. I dint have a stubby Philips screw driver in the car so I had to rip it off from the underside so I could drive home without it dragging, breaking off and screwing something up under the car.
Here is the video of the mysterious noise that happens. Hopefully this help figure it out. Also I need to know which type of fasterners I need for the wheel well panel and the screws for the bottom where it attaches.. Thanks guys.

Old 02-21-2016, 11:12 AM
enoe01
2nd Gear
Here are a few photos from underneath the mini without the splash guard.

Attached Thumbnails 2011 MINI CooperS-20160221_135154.jpg   2011 MINI CooperS-20160221_135203.jpg   2011 MINI CooperS-20160221_135226.jpg  
Old 02-22-2016, 07:41 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Here are a few photos from underneath the mini without the splash guard.
That peice on the right hand side is the splash guard: 51752755449, There is not one for the driver side.

all explained here before,

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...kid-plate.html

This is for manual transmission only :

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/ES2840603/ES2840603/

Looks like you do have a lip on those rotors that could be scrapping the edge of the pad.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:49 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor

Thanks
Erik
Hey Erik, yes the aluminum one should replace your plastic one that is underneath the engine. It'll give you much more protection. Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:04 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
https://youtu.be/u0u7M-BSCEo
Here is the video of the mysterious noise that happens. Hopefully this help figure it out. Also I need to know which type of fasterners I need for the wheel well panel and the screws for the bottom where it attaches.. Thanks guys.
That is seriously strange. This will be a tough one to diagnose unfortunately. I'm thinking maybe a pulley, but it only happening one time is strange.

The wheel well panel rivets are HERE.

Quick Reply: R56 2011 MINI CooperS