R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Depo mini cooper projector headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 08:18 AM
adolphrettmer
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depo mini cooper projector headlights

Has anyone installed these lights on their Mini. I find the stock lights on my Cooper S to be quite poor. I have installed updated bulbs but still find them lacking. Came across these lights on FleaBay and as they are halogen they are plug and play. I have had HID's on my VW's & Toyota's and replacement parts Are not cheap. I do not want to think about Mini's prices. The price is good and they are made in Germany and Depo has a good name. I am thinking about taking the plunge and trying them out. Has to be better then the stock Mini halogen's.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:09 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,865 Posts
I would check out the these spyder version for the gen2 . I have them on my R58 and really like them

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ggestions.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-29-2016, 06:54 PM
Sculsz
1st Gear
nice looking' lights!!!

Old 02-29-2016, 07:36 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
ECSTuning--I have seen many headlight upgrades for the 2nd gens, and most state "not able to hold high beams....flash-to-pass only". I am assuming that these Spyder lights are able to hold high beam, as the aperture is moved out of the way when highs are selected, and allows the light to maintain high beam even with a single-filament bulb. Am I correct in my assumption? I live in the mountains, away from streetlights, so need to make SURE that highs can be maintained, without holding the stalk at flash-to-pass mode.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:15 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
They hold high beam 100% with holding the stalk ( and flash when needed) on Spyder brand ones listed above, the Spec D version do not at this time. Spec D might be possible in the future.

I have the xenon version of Spyder and have been great. Everyone likes the looks on the R58 JCW ( Chili Red MINI ).

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-01-2016, 05:15 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Originally Posted by Sculsz
nice looking' lights!!!
Thanks , really nice lights.

Old 07-04-2016, 07:19 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
They hold high beam 100% with holding the stalk ( and flash when needed) on Spyder brand ones listed above, the Spec D version do not at this time. Spec D might be possible in the future.

I have the xenon version of Spyder and have been great. Everyone likes the looks on the R58 JCW ( Chili Red MINI ).
I assume you meant "without" holding the stalk. LOL. Do you carry DEPO lights at all? They seem to have a new set in black that looks very nice for my 2011 R56S, but I cannot get an answer from the seller as to whether high-beams are held when selected, or flash-to-pass only. Hope you have some info.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:14 AM
adolphrettmer
2nd Gear
Depo lights

I have a set of these lights on my 2013 Mini and the high beam stays on when the stick is pressed forward. I understand this was not the case with earlier sets but they could be corrected by just switching two wires.

They are well made and can be purchased when on sale for as little as $266.00.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:42 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Originally Posted by renchjeep
I assume you meant "without" holding the stalk. LOL. Do you carry DEPO lights at all? They seem to have a new set in black that looks very nice for my 2011 R56S, but I cannot get an answer from the seller as to whether high-beams are held when selected, or flash-to-pass only. Hope you have some info.
Yes, sorry without on the spyder ones.

We carry the Spec D ones , but they have the issue with only being able to flash the high beams right now. When wired like they are, stock. Modified its possible.

Last edited by ECSTuning; 07-07-2016 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:42 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Originally Posted by adolphrettmer
I have a set of these lights on my 2013 Mini and the high beam stays on when the stick is pressed forward. I understand this was not the case with earlier sets but they could be corrected by just switching two wires.

They are well made and can be purchased when on sale for as little as $266.00.
You have the DEPO black headlights for sale on eBay, and they hold high beam? Not just flash-to-pass?

Old 07-05-2016, 03:34 PM
adolphrettmer
2nd Gear
Depo lights

No i do not have a set of lights for sale on Ebay. Their are a number of vendors that advertise them. You would have to check with the vendor if the high beams say on by themselves.

It is very easy to switch over the wiring. If you wish i can draw a diagram showing which wires are switched. Very easy to do.

I have another set of Depo lights to be delivered to me tomorrow. They are to replace the set on my Mini when a 86 year old women T-boned me and sent me thru a chain link fence on the Grand Central Pkwy and into the woods. what a trip. When i finally came to a stop the drivers door opened as it always did and i did not have a scratch on myself. Other then replacing the rear quarter panel drivers door, hood, front bumper plus all the trim on both sides of the car. They did a wonderful job on the car and the paint matches perfect. I needed one headlight and the shop could not source out the light at all. No one would bust up a set. So the poor lady will be paying for new headlights. I you need the diagram let me know and i will take some pictures of the light that was corrected so you can see how easy it is.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:15 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Originally Posted by adolphrettmer
No i do not have a set of lights for sale on Ebay. Their are a number of vendors that advertise them. You would have to check with the vendor if the high beams say on by themselves.

It is very easy to switch over the wiring. If you wish i can draw a diagram showing which wires are switched. Very easy to do.

I have another set of Depo lights to be delivered to me tomorrow. They are to replace the set on my Mini when a 86 year old women T-boned me and sent me thru a chain link fence on the Grand Central Pkwy and into the woods. what a trip. When i finally came to a stop the drivers door opened as it always did and i did not have a scratch on myself. Other then replacing the rear quarter panel drivers door, hood, front bumper plus all the trim on both sides of the car. They did a wonderful job on the car and the paint matches perfect. I needed one headlight and the shop could not source out the light at all. No one would bust up a set. So the poor lady will be paying for new headlights. I you need the diagram let me know and i will take some pictures of the light that was corrected so you can see how easy it is.
I wasn't asking if you were selling DEPO lights on eBay, I may have mis-spoken. My question was if you had purchased the DEPO headlights on eBay. If you have a part number for reference, that would be helpful. Are they the black housing projectors? Those are the ones I was looking at. A diagram of how to rewire to keep high beams on would be super! I am not in a rush, so whenever you can, PM me a diagram or some instructions on how you make the highs stay on with the new set you are getting. Thanks in advance!

And....that sounds like quite a ride! Glad you and your MINI are OK.

Last edited by renchjeep; 07-05-2016 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:29 PM
adolphrettmer
2nd Gear
Depo lights

I received my set of Depo lights late yesterday afternoon. As they install in a matter of minutes i installed them and checked both the high beam and low beam and both work the same as the original Mini setup.

I know my original lights that were destroyed in the accident by the chain link face (made a mess of both lenses) their was an error in the wiring. The seller gave me a partial refund if i would switch the wiring myself. Only took me about about 20 minutes to do the original lights. Worth my time. The lights i received yesterday work fine.

The Depo label on the box shows two numbers. M82-1101P-AS2 & MC2505103
followed by HL ASY PROJECTOR HALOGEN BLK R=L

Hope this helps. My body shop will adjust the lights next week.

Old 07-07-2016, 12:45 PM
Joeygonz
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pic?

Any pics would be awesome...