R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 R56 Stock Headlights Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 04:42 PM
Promius
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R56 Stock Headlights Replacement

Hello!

I have a 2013 MCS that I'm thinking of replacing the stock headlights with something a little more sexy.

I've seen the Spec-D Blackout Halos, but the reviews are so bad. Same with with Spyder Headlights.

I'm looking for HALO/LED/HID whatever, just something fun and hopefully Black/Blackout kit. I've tried looking online but I keep bumping to the Spec-Ds mostly.

I'm a total noob have had my MINI for 2 months now. I've checked out most of the usual MINI part sites but coming up short.

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks!
G

Old 02-29-2016, 06:45 PM
Sculsz
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why don't you do a projector retrofit? These headlights are very easy to take apart. I just did my 2007 and added projectors with HID's. They look great. Keep in mind you may need to code the computer to NOT do a bulb check. Mine flashes for a few seconds when I start my car. It does not bother me.

I baked mine in the oven at 225deg for 6 minutes... used a couple of screwdrivers to pry it apart... was fairly easy. Just gotta be careful!!

Old 03-01-2016, 08:41 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
If you have the Halogen headlights you could do the upgrade to Xenon HERE. There is also a white turn signal option headlight there to get ride of the amber. +1 on blacking them out yourself. It's very easy to remove the bulbs/mounting items and bake the headlights so that you can open them up to spray paint the inner bits. I used a black paint and then did a silver flake over it to give it some dressing up. The Xenon programming has to be activated otherwise you'll get the flickering as Sculsz said above.

There are also the titanium headlight options, but if you're going to spray paint the insides, you might just want to stick with the options above as you can spray paint them this color easily.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...-2-347-698-BOE
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...-2-347-700-BOE

Let me know if you have any questions!

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 03-02-2016, 12:04 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,861 Posts
Originally Posted by Promius
Hello!

I have a 2013 MCS that I'm thinking of replacing the stock headlights with something a little more sexy.

I've seen the Spec-D Blackout Halos, but the reviews are so bad. Same with with Spyder Headlights.

I'm looking for HALO/LED/HID whatever, just something fun and hopefully Black/Blackout kit. I've tried looking online but I keep bumping to the Spec-Ds mostly.

I'm a total noob have had my MINI for 2 months now. I've checked out most of the usual MINI part sites but coming up short.

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks!
G
Spyder Headlights are good , I have them, great for Xenon, for the halogen cars , there better but you can always upgrade to LED retrofit kit aftermarket or Xenon retrofit kit.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ggestions.html

Other the that there are the Factory Xenon retrofits:
63102347698 KT they come in titanium grey and are 25w xenon, not 35w like factory stock ordered. Good output and plug and play, you just have o get them flashed by MINI afterwards for the strobe issues.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-bi-xenon.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172