R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 I Need Your Opinion (suspension and parts)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 10:25 PM
SpuuDy
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I Need Your Opinion (suspension and parts)

So I bought my r56 s used with 70k on the clock. It has 8x,xxx on it now and I rotated my tires about a month or so ago. The problem I am having is every time I start to brake some what aggressively, there is a wobbling in my wheel. I came upon this problem in my old car (Mercedes c230 coupe) but that car had well over 100,000 miles on it and it was just the rotors were warped and the control arm bushings were shot. Do you think that the pulsing in the wheel is because of the rotors or because of my suspension?
Thanks (p.s. sorry for the paragraph)

Old 03-28-2016, 06:05 AM
NathanMckee
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Definitely rotors. I had the same problem after a few track days with 30K miles. The OEM rotors are crap in my opinion. Get the Brembo OEM replacement rotors from bavauto.com, cheaper than OEM too.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:19 AM
SpuuDy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by NathanMckee
Definitely rotors. I had the same problem after a few track days with 30K miles. The OEM rotors are crap in my opinion. Get the Brembo OEM replacement rotors from bavauto.com, cheaper than OEM too.
That's what I was thinking. I was also thinking about getting drilled and slotted rotors just for looks. Has any one heard of this site? Or bought from them?
http://www.cquence.net/mini-cooper-s...ke-rotors.html

Old 03-28-2016, 06:23 AM
NathanMckee
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you want drilled and slotted, consider something from ECS Tuning. They will be more expensive but I put cheap drilled and slotted rotors on and they corroded so quickly, and vibrated so badly that I replaced them before they really needed to be. Maybe I am just picky about my brakes but I always found you get what you pay for with these cars.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:55 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
The brake rotor feel under braking is definitely very distinguishable. If you believe it's time for rotor replacement due to rotor issue or brake compounds on them. Check your bushings. Make sure there is no wear on the LCA, ball joints, etc. That way, you can order all the parts you need to replace and do it all at once instead of going in there to do the job and finding out you may need to replace more things. If needed, we have some great front and rear brake kits HERE. If you want to go with an OEM replacement. They have everything needed for the job. If you want rotors for looks, I'd stick with slotted/vented. I don't like drilled for a few reasons. Not sure if they make them for the R56, I think they do for gen 1, but check out R1 Concepts. I run their front and rear slotted/vented rotors. Love them. Then you can go with a set of StopTech or Brembo pads for a street application: http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg1.htm#item3. I run StopTech.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 03-28-2016, 09:58 PM
GeneralSpecific
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I literally just ordered all the parts Pelican mentioned on Sunday... from Pelican. My girlfriend's R50 had the same issue, but at 185k miles her car was due for suspension work anyway. Getting bushings, ball joints, pads, and rotors all at the same time. I was just going to do the bushings, but rotors were below min thickness and pads close to replacement anyway... Gonna have to drop the subframe, so I may as well do the works.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:19 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneralSpecific
I literally just ordered all the parts Pelican mentioned on Sunday... from Pelican. My girlfriend's R50 had the same issue, but at 185k miles her car was due for suspension work anyway. Getting bushings, ball joints, pads, and rotors all at the same time. I was just going to do the bushings, but rotors were below min thickness and pads close to replacement anyway... Gonna have to drop the subframe, so I may as well do the works.
Thank you for your order. Good luck with the repairs and if you need any help just give me a shout!

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 03-29-2016, 05:01 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
IMHO, drilled is a waste. Slotted may have some benefit, but unlikely if you're not taking it to the Big Track and flogging the car.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:54 PM
8eMINI
2nd Gear
I have drilled and love the performance. They dissipate heat!

Old 04-03-2016, 10:08 PM
SpuuDy
2nd Gear
So, I just got back from a 200 mile journey and I defiantly need to replace the rotors ASAP. I just did some looking at the reviews online about the website I posted on here and looks like nothing but good things. I think I can get a front of drilled and slotted (for looks) for only 120. Hopefully this is a rare instance where I get better than what I pay for...