R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Is there a definitive answer about replacing the battery?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 04:09 AM
ahurvitz
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a definitive answer about replacing the battery?

I have a 2011 standard version Mini (bought new).

My original battery died yesterday. For what it's worth, it gave no physical warning (though upon inspection the indicator was yellow). I replaced it with an Interstate battery from Costco, Group H6(48) Fitment code 29 Ah 70 battery for $110. A larger battery, but the designated size and it fit fine.

I have read dozens of posts regarding replacement. My battery is now in and works fine. My question is about registering it and having to go to the dealer. I do not have IBS. Some posts say without IBS the battery doesn't need to be registered, others say all batteries. Everyone seems to know what they're talking about.

There is a post from Pelican saying you don't have to register batteries without IBS and then refers you to their tech article which states that all batteries have to be registered. I called my dealer and he says to come in and have it registered (what else would he say?). Sooooo....

Is there a definitive answer? Or maybe I should rephrase that. There are a lot of definitive answers already posted. Is there a definitive answer that we know to be correct? My inclination is not to bother going to the dealer. But I will if it is required.

Old 03-30-2016, 05:11 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,865 Posts
Hello,

You can replace the battery and not register the battery but that the battery will have a shortened life than normal. What the system does is charge the battery more in the latter years of life so it extends the life. Its also constantly talks to the DME. When you register it its like a restart.

I have it on my R58, you will know you have it by the cable type on the terminal.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-30-2016, 05:49 AM
ahurvitz
1st Gear
Thanks.

BTW... In no way did I mean to single out Pelican as being confusing. They give great advice and I truly appreciate it. I should have been clearer and just said it was one example.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:34 AM
my_wifes_mini
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
No Reset Needed

I also have a 2011 and recently replaced my own battery. I do not have the extra connection for the battery minder. According to all of the research I did on both mini and bmw sites, you dont need to reset anything if you dont have the DME.

Another thing, after having some phantom check engine lights come on here and there, I'm considering purchasing my own scan tool. I'm not sure if Ill get one of the really nice ones or a $10 Amazon Blue tooth that works with a phone app. Im thinking they would allow you to reset the battery and some of the other bothersome functions..

Like you, as the car ages, I'm doing more maintenance on it myself and I plan to keep it for another few years... SINCE ITS FINALLY PAID FOR!

Old 03-30-2016, 06:39 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,865 Posts
Welcome,

Yea, if you dont have the IBS , no reset.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-30-2016, 07:34 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by ahurvitz
Thanks.

BTW... In no way did I mean to single out Pelican as being confusing. They give great advice and I truly appreciate it. I should have been clearer and just said it was one example.
Sorry for the confusion. Our article states as a Note at the second paragraph:

PLEASE NOTE: Not all MINI R56 models come equipped with an AGM type battery. Not all R56 models come equipped with the IBS system. To determine if your R56 has this system you will need to look at the terminal end of the negative battery cable.
Review this thread here for examples of batteries with IBS systems and without. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...his-place.html Let me know if you have any questions.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 03-30-2016, 09:54 AM
ahurvitz
1st Gear
I read the Pelican article a couple of times before and after installing the battery. I understand what you're saying. What was confusing to me was that nowhere in the article did it say if you didn't have IBS, you didn't need to register the battery.

In the paragraph after the note it says...

Once your battery has been replaced, you will have to register the new battery with the vehicle's computer system.

And in the Fig 12 paragraph it says...

Once installed, you will have to use a BMW scan tool to register (red arrow) the battery... If the battery is not registered, the charge program will be incorrect, shortening battery life.

So maybe you could add somewhere that if you don't have IBS, you don't have to do anything beyond resetting the clock.

Thanks for the reply. Thanks for all your replies to the forum. A huge help.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:57 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by ahurvitz
I read the Pelican article a couple of times before and after installing the battery. I understand what you're saying. What was confusing to me was that nowhere in the article did it say if you didn't have IBS, you didn't need to register the battery.

In the paragraph after the note it says...

Once your battery has been replaced, you will have to register the new battery with the vehicle's computer system.

And in the Fig 12 paragraph it says...

Once installed, you will have to use a BMW scan tool to register (red arrow) the battery... If the battery is not registered, the charge program will be incorrect, shortening battery life.

So maybe you could add somewhere that if you don't have IBS, you don't have to do anything beyond resetting the clock.

Thanks for the reply. Thanks for all your replies to the forum. A huge help.
Absolutely! I will have the article updated to clear up any confusion. We appreciate your feedback and if you ever run into something like this and are unsure about anything please do not hesitate to shoot me a private message as I am here to help.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
The following users liked this post:
VWguyBruce (01-21-2020)