R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 '07 MCS cylinder head fix, service mode?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 09:52 PM
Semaphore
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I figured out what I need for the fuel rail... Crowfoot Wrench Set! But still need the torque spec for the passenger side motor M16 nut if anyone knows.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:44 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by Semaphore
I figured out what I need for the fuel rail... Crowfoot Wrench Set! But still need the torque spec for the passenger side motor M16 nut if anyone knows.
I'm guessing you're referring to the nut on top of the engine mount. If Bentley doesn't mention a torque spec, there probably isn't one. Don't let this stop you from finishing the assembly, just tighten it according to it's size, with the engine lifted / supported so the mount is snug, then check it periodically.

Not what you want to hear, I'm sure, but this isn't a critical fastener, and it's not likely the engine will fall out.

Old 07-04-2016, 09:03 PM
Semaphore
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
I'm guessing you're referring to the nut on top of the engine mount. If Bentley doesn't mention a torque spec, there probably isn't one. Don't let this stop you from finishing the assembly, just tighten it according to it's size, with the engine lifted / supported so the mount is snug, then check it periodically.

Not what you want to hear, I'm sure, but this isn't a critical fastener, and it's not likely the engine will fall out.
Thanks, that's what I figured and I did just that. Fired up today on the first try!!!! Hope everything stays together...

Only have one issue it seems. Bypass valve error P28AA. I missed the connection and drove it a couple blocks. After that I hooked up the connector, now the BV seems to be working fine but it throws the code on hard acceleration. Any ideas??

Old 07-04-2016, 09:18 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Thanks, that's what I figured and I did just that. Fired up today on the first try!!!! Hope everything stays together...

Only have one issue it seems. Bypass valve error P28AA. I missed the connection and drove it a couple blocks. After that I hooked up the connector, now the BV seems to be working fine but it throws the code on hard acceleration. Any ideas??
I've been using an external BV --- little to no similarity. BV's are supposed to relieve turbo output when manifold pressure is less than turbo output --- between shifts, etc. Maybe yours is leaking? Pretty easy to pop it out and look.

Old 07-04-2016, 10:53 PM
Semaphore
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
I've been using an external BV --- little to no similarity. BV's are supposed to relieve turbo output when manifold pressure is less than turbo output --- between shifts, etc. Maybe yours is leaking? Pretty easy to pop it out and look.
Yeah, what bugs me is that its a relatively new turbo with,maybe 25k on it and I didn't mess with it. Maybe I messed something up by running it for a few minutes unplugged?

Old 07-04-2016, 10:59 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Yeah, what bugs me is that its a relatively new turbo with,maybe 25k on it and I didn't mess with it. Maybe I messed something up by running it for a few minutes unplugged?
You did say "it throws the code on hard acceleration"! Some aftermarket BV's get pretty good reviews. Check yours out before jumping out and getting a replacement.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:06 PM
Semaphore
2nd Gear
I'll pull it tomorrow and let you know. I hope its something simple...I've put a lot of hours into this beast...but happy it's running well. Thanks for helping me out!!

Old 07-09-2016, 05:08 AM
Semaphore
2nd Gear
Swapped the BOV from my old turbo. It was a slightly different design. Drove it to work and back 25mi round trip. That seemed to make it slightly worse so I swapped them back. The P28AA code seems to only pop up if I let up on the gas quickly after hard acceleration. If I let off slowly...no code. Looks like I need to more digging...

Old 07-10-2016, 09:39 PM
Semaphore
2nd Gear
Removed the intake to see if I missed something. No luck everything looked good. Noticed a fare amount of oil around the intake gaskets. I was a little surprised to see all that oil with only 125mi. Some in turbo intake as well. I even saw a bit of carbon on the valves already.... Hopefully it was just oil from before the top rebuild. Anyhow still getting the P28AA code after assembly. Took hard accel with quick decel to get the code though. I'm going to start a new thread to hopefully get some more takers before I have to go to the dealer.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:48 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
All that oil could be coming from either the turbo or driver side PCV hose. If your driver side PCV hose is dry, that's probably not the source. Since you recently had the engine apart, my guess is the turbo oil return hose is blocked / damaged, forcing oil thru the oil seal into the air chamber. This oil could also by restricting your BOV, causing the CEL.

If the turbo oil return hose isn't damaged / blocked, excess crankcase pressure can also cause oil seepage thru the turbo seal. A compression / leak-down test might help --- bad valve seals, damaged cylinder walls, rings, etc.

If it was mine, I'd worry more about the excess oil than the CEL.