R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Proactive checks for known issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 09:07 AM
cargusjoh
4th Gear
Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts
Proactive checks for known issues

Hi,
I hope this will become a sticky thread. I bought a car and in the service history the oil solenoid leaked and the engine wire harness needed to be replaced. It makes me realize I don't know what/where to look to identify known issues. This include but there may be more:

1. Leaking thermostat housing
2. Leaking water pump
3. Oil solenoid oil leak
4. Oil filter housing oil leak
5. HPFP failure, S only
6. Oil fed line to turbo issue, S only
7. Failed thermostat sensor
8. In tank fuel pump, Cooper

Anyone want to crisply write what to look for on these? Anyond haea picture to give more clarity?

Thanks in advance. I am looking forward to being a more prepared MINI owner.

Last edited by cargusjoh; 07-02-2016 at 12:11 PM.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:10 PM
Coopersrule
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56 Checklist

Originally Posted by cargusjoh
Hi,
I hope this will become a sticky thread. I bought a car and in the service history the oil solenoid leaked and the engine wire harness needed to be replaced. It makes me realize I don't know what/where to look to identify known issues. This include but there may be more:

1. Leaking thermostat housing
2. Leaking water pump
3. Oil solenoid oil leak
4. Oil filter housing oil leak
5. HPFP failure
6. Oil fed line to turbo issue
7. Failed thermostat sensor

Anyone want to crisply write what to look for on these? Anyond haea picture to give more clarity?

Thanks in advance. I am looking forward to being a more prepared MINI owner.
Know what you mean. A BMW MINI was new territory for me, and the thought of German parts and service initially scared me. So far, the car has been great. I've relied on the Mini Mani website and their tech guy for most everything. http://new.minimania.com/home.cfm Does your car have any leaks that you are worried about like the thermostat, water pump, etc.?

Fortunately mine is not leaking at all but I keep looking. I know there are some easy fixes for oil leaks and others not so much. I found a bunch of helpful videos on You Tube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNh...lYCn-VXFWxy0ew

Old 06-24-2016, 03:19 PM
cargusjoh
4th Gear
I hope no leaks. But honestly don't know where to check. Well, I have heard watch coolant level, and coolant leaks can show up on the transmission. What I hoped the thread could be is:

Problem: Thermostat leaks

Impact: Coolant level weill drop, perhaps abruptly, to the point the cooling system fails and the water temperature warning light on the dash lights up. It is possible engine damage will occur prior to the warning lamp lighting

Diagnostic: Inspect coolant level for drop. Inspect ...

Correction: Replace thermostat housing. Parts needed are: Thermostat housing, ...

Well, something like that. Anyone want to correct this and/od add for the other issues?

Thanks!

Old 06-28-2016, 11:24 AM
Purpleoctopus
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem: Turbo Feed line Leaking oil

Impact: Oil leaking from connection where feed line meets turbocharger. If goes on long enough, it can starve the turbo of oil and destroy it which would then lead to a new turbo being needed.

Diagnostic: Observer oil consumption, check for leaks in, on and around the top of the turbo where the feed line connects to the banjo bolt / turbo. There will probably be oil visible on and under the engine from the leak.

Correction: Replace turbo oil feed and return lines. Parts needed are: Oil Feed and return line (Detroit Tuned Recommended), O2 sensor wrench, deep well sockets, regular socket set with varying size extensions, 10mm ratcheting open wrench, needlenose pliers, brake cleaner, torque wrench, a 90 degree angle socket adapter was also very helpful.

Old 06-28-2016, 01:29 PM
cargusjoh
4th Gear
Thank you one more thing I will keep an eye on!

Old 06-28-2016, 09:50 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Since both have the N18, the timing chain tensioner and guide issues have supposedly been addressed. No issues with those on my 2011 MCS at almost 60k. Keep an eye on your fluid levels, especially oil and coolant. Check both frequently, easy insurance. I would also add....drive them HARD from time-to-time. Seems to keep the intake valve carbon buildup issue at bay. I would also suggest running a can of SeaFoam in your fuel tanks maybe every 5 fill-ups or so. Oil and filter changes every 5k, with approved oil and MINI Genuine oil filters. Look at where you park. Look for signs of fluid leakage. A puddle of fluid is not good, noticing a few drips here and there may just save you from having a puddle! Have fun with your MINI's, just know that they are high-strung performance vehicles, and not your average Camry or Accord. Motor On!

Old 06-29-2016, 07:48 AM
cargusjoh
4th Gear
Thank you for these suggestions!

Old 07-01-2016, 01:32 PM
miniuy
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
For Base model point 5 and 6 are replaced by

In-Tank fuel pump

Old 07-01-2016, 01:56 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
R56

Here's a handy maintenance guide:

http://new.minimania.com/Search_Resu...nance/Articles

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 07-01-2016, 02:21 PM
cargusjoh
4th Gear
Thank you!

Old 07-02-2016, 08:04 AM
cargusjoh
4th Gear
For High Pressure Fuel Pump the following thread has the detailed information including part numbers to replace etc:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-symptoms.html

Problem: High Pressure Fuel Pump failure

Impact: Engine stumbling, difficult to start, car fails to run. Half power or MINI stops running while driving.

Diagnostic:
Check codes that may not exist, may or may not show issue, or show different issues. Report symptoms to mechanic. Measure fuel pressure. Consider replacing HPFP to diagnose symptoms.

Symptoms:
1. On cold starts the engine knocks and may even stall a few times before starting. RPM's dip below 1k.

2. You should get a check engine light and codes will lead to the HPFP. I hear there are specific codes indicating that's what is wrong. You may also get misfire codes. Car will not run well.

3. Mine had half power mode at random times when really cold out (<30*) and then one day it came half power with a real CEL, deeply scanned with snap-on computer and found an associated 2C01 code for high pressure plausibility. No P codes, just 1 code. My mini tech friend said yup! HPFP- replace it before the car doesn't start at all. No noticeable drivability issues though when the half power warning didnt come up.

There were a couple of cases that were describer where the root cause was not the HPFP, and scenarios described where HPFP was not indicated by codes, but fixed problem.

Correction: Replace HPFP.
Parts needed: See thread above