R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Just a bit peeved-Half Engine Light in Tach

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 02:25 PM
DAVE!
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a bit peeved-Half Engine Light in Tach

So for the past few weeks; I've been experiencing the dreaded "half colored" engine light appearing in my tachometer intermittently. Mostly when temps outside were above 85, and I'm driving it "spirited"

Some pointed to a High Pressure Fuel Pump issue, others to the coolant temp. sensor. And about 10 other problems it "could be". So I got fed up with the guess work, and took my car to Crown Mini here in Richmond.

So the results were:

Apparently the previous owner replaced the valve cover, and it was obvious it was NOT sealed correctly. Actually, I don't know what went wrong with it. What I do know is that it was puking oil all over the back side of the engine, and on to a majority of the vacuum lines. In turn, these vacuum lines became swollen, dry rotted, and have stopped providing appropriate vacuum as they're supposed to.

The diverter valve/diaphragm has failed, and I'm lucky that it was caught at this point-because a new turbo and install is fairly pricey and time consuming-not to mention the engine damage it can cause as a result of a crapped out turbo, with sudden failure.

So, moral of the story. Take your MINI to an authorized repair facility. The guys and gals at Crown MINI are top notch. The total repairs and labor for the above mentioned problems is only going to cost me $500. Luckily I have the money, and the repair process is fairly quick (same day, or latest the next day) provided they have all the parts. The HFPF is working perfectly according to the MINI mechanic, so that's the good news above all of it. I can't wait to drive this thing with the power it SHOULD have. No more stalling after starting once or twice every few days, no more surging idle, or low idling, no more hesitation on starts, and during downshifting, and mashing on the go fast pedal.

Anyways, that's all. Figured I'd share for those that may be experiencing similar symptoms. Check just about everything you can and make no assumptions-especially if you're not the original owner of your Cooper!

I hate being away from my MINI for even one day, let alone two....but it's going to be worth it. Thanks for listening to my rant. Good luck, and keep motoring!

DC

Old 06-28-2016, 06:23 PM
cargusjoh
4th Gear
Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts
Glad you got it sorted, especially before worse damage!

Old 06-28-2016, 07:39 PM
DAVE!
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cargusjoh
Glad you got it sorted, especially before worse damage!

Indeed!