R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Intake sensor delete

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 05:18 PM
Green lunchbox
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake sensor delete

So im upgrading to a larger turbo soon (gt2860rs) and I need to relocate or delete the wiring on the

Intake sensor delete-image-2479608011.jpg

intake tube. I'm sure it will throw a code how do i get around that? The stock tube wont flow the amount of air i need and I'm trying to keep this as low budget as possible without compromising too much power or quality.

Old 07-05-2016, 04:52 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by Green lunchbox
So im upgrading to a larger turbo soon (gt2860rs) and I need to relocate or delete the wiring on the

Attachment 127127

intake tube. I'm sure it will throw a code how do i get around that? The stock tube wont flow the amount of air i need and I'm trying to keep this as low budget as possible without compromising too much power or quality.
Trust me, you're gonna replace a lot more than wiring on the intake tube. This garrett has a 3" air inlet fitting --- the entire inlet air system needs replacing. Hopefully, you bought the turbo with a kit of "mating parts". If not, there are parts available thru http://www.atpturbo.com and http://www.turbohoses.com/index.html Another one called "turbo kits" might have the right stuff too.

Then there's new coolant and oil hoses for it, plus a 5-bolt exhaust fitting for a 3" system. And then there's the compressed air outlet --- aimed down and back, where OEM is adjacent to the inlet --- more hose elbows.

You realize this turbo wastegate runs on positive pressure, not vacuum, so you need an external BOV (aka bypass valve) and eventually some sort of boost controller to use the maximum boost available --- up to 28PSI! There's also a code to defeat --- either leave the OEM BV connected or plug in a resistor so the ECU thinks something is there. I used a 12 ohm resistor, simulating the DC impedance of my BV.

You'll need to remove a bit of structure from the underside of the hood, if you expect to close the hood --- this turbo is really big. And think about either deleting or replacing most of the heat shields 'cause they won't fit any more either.

Then when it's finally installed and running, you need a customized tune to get any kind of satisfactory results. I was seriously bad-mouthing the garrett until I got a Manic stage 4 tune. Now it's performing as I want, but most others wouldn't like its launch performance. However, it's keeping me out of trouble.

If you haven't already checked out my build thread --- https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...a-stuff-2.html --- I strongly recommend you read the whole thing BEFORE you start throwing money at a big Garrett. Yes, my "street-able" R56 has probably the most WHP of any in the whole country, but don't think it was done on a budget. There's well over $20K in it. If this is within your budget, call me, I've got this great bridge to sell you ---

Old 07-05-2016, 05:33 PM
Green lunchbox
1st Gear
Thanks for the advice. I have a new downpipe and 3" exhaust. New intercooler piping and an external bov to replace the stock setup. I have any electronic boost controller to control my boost and I've found a shop where i can get my car tuned on manic stage 4.

So I guess what i was asking is what are the wires/hoses for and where would they go on my new intake pipe setup?

Thanks

Old 07-05-2016, 07:19 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Thanks for the advice. I have a new downpipe and 3" exhaust. New intercooler piping and an external bov to replace the stock setup. I have any electronic boost controller to control my boost and I've found a shop where i can get my car tuned on manic stage 4.

So I guess what i was asking is what are the wires/hoses for and where would they go on my new intake pipe setup?

Thanks
Your new turbo intake hoses should accommodate both of the items marked --- my K & N Typhoon had everything needed except the oversized elbow for the turbo --- that one was "customized". The one closest to the turbo is a heater that could be simply disconnected and removed, then the harness tied back out of the way --- not recommended in cold climates. The other harness is not on my '07 --- I have no idea what it is.

If your new turbo intake hoses don't accommodate them, you will probably need to get "Tee" fittings, elbows and couplers, and build your own air intake hose system --- something I did to accommodate the OCC and BOV return hose, to retain the preferred "closed loop" system. You should try to retain all necessary harnesses and fittings as close as possible to their original location.

What vintage mini are you working with, and are you doing the upgrades yourself?

Keep us posted with a build thread?

Old 07-06-2016, 06:41 AM
Green lunchbox
1st Gear
All of this is going on an R56 hatchback with the N18 engine. I do all the work myself and i will be adding a build thread once I start.

Do you think the stock maf sensor will hold up/ be big enough to handle all the air im putting through it?

I'll have to see what kind of aftermarket options i have and how their piping is set up.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:05 AM
Jpfugly
1st Gear
All of this is going on an R56 hatchback with the N18 engine. I do all the work myself and i will be adding a build thread once I start. Do you think the stock maf sensor will hold up/ be big enough to handle all the air im putting through it? I'll have to see what kind of aftermarket options i have and how their piping is set up.
Subscribed.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:36 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
All of this is going on an R56 hatchback with the N18 engine. I do all the work myself and i will be adding a build thread once I start.

Do you think the stock maf sensor will hold up/ be big enough to handle all the air im putting through it?

I'll have to see what kind of aftermarket options i have and how their piping is set up.
I'm running the OEM MAF. It's not likely you'll be moving as much air as I am. My dyno chart shows a little drop-off towards high RPM's, but I'm also at 30PSI boost, and that drop-off could be from other factors.

If you're happy with the Alta filter, wait for the turbo and customize the air intake from there. Going with another CAI will be a waste of material and money. Remember, you'll have to adapt from the MAF 2 ¾" to the turbo 3" --- strictly custom stuff from previously referenced and other sources. Aftermarket kits will match the OEM 2" (or so) turbo.

Looking forward to your build thread.

Best of luck, you're gonna need it!

Old 07-07-2016, 07:05 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Here's some pics of how I customized my air hoses and relieved the hood. These only show the hoses on top --- FMIC to turbo hoses were also changed, but you'll figure that out on your own. There are other options too, none of them easy.

Attached Thumbnails Intake sensor delete-img_2102.jpg   Intake sensor delete-img_2104.jpg   Intake sensor delete-img_2105.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
AWD_Rally (04-05-2018)
Old 07-08-2016, 09:24 AM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The max flow that the maf can read is 25lbs/min. With the stock turbo it will only flow 22lbs/min. With manic tune it's not a show stopper if you max the maf out. Just keep your foot to the floor and grab another gear !! Lol

Old 07-08-2016, 01:20 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 432 Likes on 398 Posts
can you just make the fitting in a way to insert back the sensors?

Old 04-05-2018, 08:23 AM
AWD_Rally

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
Here's some pics of how I customized my air hoses and relieved the hood. These only show the hoses on top --- FMIC to turbo hoses were also changed, but you'll figure that out on your own. There are other options too, none of them easy.
Slightly off topic... This is exactly how I want to setup my recirc valve. Very nice! how's the power?

Old 04-05-2018, 10:49 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AWD_Rally
Slightly off topic... This is exactly how I want to setup my recirc valve. Very nice! how's the power?
At the time of these pics, it was producing well over 300WHP, but there's a lot more going on than just recirc valve plumbing --- see the signature. And since then, I've made other changes to the plumbing to accommodate a 5-port WMI manifold.

Question for Green lunchbox --- what progress have you made with your planned mods?