R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 R56 No Turbo Spool

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 05:15 PM
Powerplay
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56 No Turbo Spool

Hi all, hoping someone can help me. Have an 08 R56 AEM Cold Air Intake, Forge Recirc Valve, Catless Downpipe, Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust. Manic 2 Tune with SPS switch. Car has power, runs great, sounds really nice. However, I dont feel the turbo kicking in as I feel with other stock or tuned R56. Was told the Turbo was shot. Replace stock Turbo with another stock Turbo and still didnt feel it. So I installed a boost gauge, boost gage reads about 6PSI at about 5000 rpms and max about 8psi at about 8000 rpms. Could I have another bad Turbo? I was told if the turbo spins freely with your finger it should be working. The original Turbo did that. Any ideas? Thanks

Old 07-11-2016, 05:45 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Turbo should spin freely, yes. Wobble or ANY side - side movement is a bad turbo.

Same performance in your "base" map? Any codes? Checked turbo output hoses for leaks / connections? Waste gate look OK --- actual gate, viewed from the exhaust outlet, not just checking linkage.

Lotsa things can cause low boost. Last walnut blast was done when? And are you really getting up to 8000RPM? That's scary without a built engine. Manic wouldn't have given you a stage 2 if it was built. My stage 4 is limited to 7.2K

Old 07-11-2016, 05:55 PM
Powerplay
Neutral
Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
Turbo should spin freely, yes. Wobble or ANY side - side movement is a bad turbo.

Same performance in your "base" map? Any codes? Checked turbo output hoses for leaks / connections? Waste gate look OK --- actual gate, viewed from the exhaust outlet, not just checking linkage.

Lotsa things can cause low boost. Last walnut blast was done when? And are you really getting up to 8000RPM? That's scary without a built engine. Manic wouldn't have given you a stage 2 if it was built. My stage 4 is limited to 7.2K
Thanks for the reply. I have absolutely no leaks from anywhere. I have not done a walnut blast. Would carbon deposits reduce or eliminate turbo boost?
I have raced my rpms that high just to see if maybe im being to sensitive, but just today I drove an r56 with intake and exhaust with stock turbo no tune and I could really feel the turbo. My power and that guys turbo would make one hell of a fast mini. I am in NY. Would love to find someone who specialices in minis other than the dealership to diagnose my problems.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:15 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by Powerplay
Thanks for the reply. I have absolutely no leaks from anywhere. I have not done a walnut blast. Would carbon deposits reduce or eliminate turbo boost?
I have raced my rpms that high just to see if maybe im being to sensitive, but just today I drove an r56 with intake and exhaust with stock turbo no tune and I could really feel the turbo. My power and that guys turbo would make one hell of a fast mini. I am in NY. Would love to find someone who specialices in minis other than the dealership to diagnose my problems.
OK, no leaks, so I'll ask again --- have you checked the waste gate to ensure it's closed? The actual waste gate, AND the linkage is free, not stuck in the slightly open position? And was your replacement turbo new? And, no codes? Then there's your "base" map --- same low boost as Manic's tune? Then, same boost in all 3 manic maps? You want help / "ideas", you gotta provide info.

Other NAM posts have complained about low boost and they say walnut blasting fixed it. An '08 with normal mileage is probably in need of a good walnut blast.

OEM rev limit is 6.5K. Nick doesn't like to raise that limit to over 7K, 'specially on his stage 2 tunes. I'm having trouble believing your Manic stage 2 is reving up to 8K. Did someone else mess with Nick's tune? And how about taking your Mini to the guy that installed your Manic tune, or is that too far away from your NY location?

Old 07-11-2016, 07:30 PM
Powerplay
Neutral
Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
OK, no leaks, so I'll ask again --- have you checked the waste gate to ensure it's closed? The actual waste gate, AND the linkage is free, not stuck in the slightly open position? And was your replacement turbo new? And, no codes? Then there's your "base" map --- same low boost as Manic's tune? Then, same boost in all 3 manic maps? You want help / "ideas", you gotta provide info.

Other NAM posts have complained about low boost and they say walnut blasting fixed it. An '08 with normal mileage is probably in need of a good walnut blast.

OEM rev limit is 6.5K. Nick doesn't like to raise that limit to over 7K, 'specially on his stage 2 tunes. I'm having trouble believing your Manic stage 2 is reving up to 8K. Did someone else mess with Nick's tune? And how about taking your Mini to the guy that installed your Manic tune, or is that too far away from your NY location?
Yes, when I switch the maps you can feel and hear power change in the engine and through the exhaust, but no change in boost. I dont think the tune is the problem. I had this issue before the tune,
I sent my ECM to M7 Speed for the tune, while I waited for it I had the turbo changed from the stock to a rebuilt turbo which was supposed to be an upgrade from stock. I have not checked the waste gate.

No one has touched or messed with my tune I took my car to Mini of Dutchess in NY twice and specifically told them not to reflash or mess with my ECU.

I am at 127,000 miles. I appreciate your help. If you think A walnut blast is the place to start, then I will make it happen and report back.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:17 AM
Powerplay
Neutral
Originally Posted by Powerplay
Yes, when I switch the maps you can feel and hear power change in the engine and through the exhaust, but no change in boost. I dont think the tune is the problem. I had this issue before the tune,
I sent my ECM to M7 Speed for the tune, while I waited for it I had the turbo changed from the stock to a rebuilt turbo which was supposed to be an upgrade from stock. I have not checked the waste gate.

No one has touched or messed with my tune I took my car to Mini of Dutchess in NY twice and specifically told them not to reflash or mess with my ECU.

I am at 127,000 miles. I appreciate your help. If you think A walnut blast is the place to start, then I will make it happen and report back.
Oldbrokenwind, as I sit in my car this morning I realize I was wrong. You were right, 6,000 rpm not 8,000. I promise Im
Not an idiot. Just a bit stressed and tired.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:00 AM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
Are you getting a trouble code? I was getting P2885 on my Clubman with 153,000 miles (original untouched turbo) and went through a checklist of items, including walnut blasting. The blasting helped performance tremendously, but I was still getting the code. I pulled the turbo and the wastegate was loose....I could just wiggle it around on the hinge....sorry, that's not a technical description, but it looked like a real problem to me...kind of surprised that it worked at all. I sent the turbo in to be rebuilt and the tech confirmed that the wastegate wasn't right....my housing was also cracked...still waiting for the turbo....

How many miles were on the replacement turbo?

Old 07-12-2016, 08:01 AM
bcriverjunky
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Think out loud here but is the motor pulling timing back? Are you running good gas? Also you never mention a FMIC?

Old 07-12-2016, 08:04 AM
Powerplay
Neutral
Originally Posted by bugeye1031
Are you getting a trouble code? I was getting P2885 on my Clubman with 153,000 miles (original untouched turbo) and went through a checklist of items, including walnut blasting. The blasting helped performance tremendously, but I was still getting the code. I pulled the turbo and the wastegate was loose....I could just wiggle it around on the hinge....sorry, that's not a technical description, but it looked like a real problem to me...kind of surprised that it worked at all. I sent the turbo in to be rebuilt and the tech confirmed that the wastegate wasn't right....my housing was also cracked...still waiting for the turbo....

How many miles were on the replacement turbo?
I am not receiving any trouble codes at all. I dont know how many miles were on the rebuilt turbo.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:23 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Do you know if the rebuilt turbo came with a new diverter valve? A failing diverter valve can cause boost issues and no code.

MINI just redesigned the diverter valve to be diaphragm-less . It's only like $65 or so.

Pull yours out and look to see if the diaphragm is cracked.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:12 PM
Powerplay
Neutral
Originally Posted by cerenkov
Do you know if the rebuilt turbo came with a new diverter valve? A failing diverter valve can cause boost issues and no code.

MINI just redesigned the diverter valve to be diaphragm-less . It's only like $65 or so.

Pull yours out and look to see if the diaphragm is cracked.
Just to update this post. Checked all turbo vacuum lines and it turns out all lines to the vacuum tank were swollen therefore creating a boost leak.