R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 2009 Mini Cooper S - needs the DSC Control Unit

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 10:56 PM
dchernikoff
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Mini Cooper S - needs the DSC Control Unit

Well the saga continues. I had a shop that specializes in Mini's and BMW's look over my new-to-me 2009. The DSC warning light was on. They thought that it was because of the low battery level (7-year old battery). But the fault came back on:

CHECKED DSC FAULT MEMORY AND FAULT CODE 5E2C CAME BACK, PERFORMED TEST PLANS FOR FAULTS STORED AS PER FACTORY DIAGNOSTIC EQUIPMENT AND TRACE TO FAULTY DSC CONTROL UNIT. RECOMMEND AND PROGRAM DSC CONTROL UNIT AND THEN RECHECK.

They said the cost to replace would be $2000! That's $600 labor, $350 to reprogram it (download software), and then $1000 for the new DSC unit. They said it was so high because they have to remove the ABS module that the DSC is attached to, replace it, reinstall it, then do a brake system flush.

Two questions:

1) Is that really how much this should cost?

2) What's the ramifications of not doing it? I can live without traction control. But they said that it also affected the ABS system as well. I supposed I can live without ABS as well (my first several cars didn't have either). But I want to be sure it doesn't actually do bad things if I brake hard. Best result would be that it acts like a non-ABS brake system. What are the chances of that??

Thanks for any info!

-Dan

Old 07-18-2016, 03:07 PM
dchernikoff
1st Gear
UPDATE:

Okay here's a funny thing. I've put off having the DSC replaced (found a shop that can do it for $1500, better than the $2000 the first guys wanted). And now after a few hundred miles I am no longer getting the DSC and ABS warning lights!

I wonder if when they replaced the battery and the right front brake sensor, if the DSC had to "reprogram" itself? I got the lights once or twice right after getting the battery changed, but I just came back from a fairly vigorous 100-mile ride, and no warning lights at all. And I haven't seen them since the first day or so after service.

Anyone know if there is some sort of reprogram- or settle- time for the DSC after replacing the battery? Please say yes!

-Dan

Old 07-18-2016, 05:15 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 571 Likes on 487 Posts
Many error codes in these cars require a certain amount of drive cycles to reset warning lights. You might have won the lottery here. GL

Old 07-18-2016, 05:21 PM
dchernikoff
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Many error codes in these cars require a certain amount of drive cycles to reset warning lights. You might have won the lottery here. GL
Keeping my fingers crossed!

I'm taking it into the shop in a week to get the Oil Filter Housing gasket replaced. I'll have them run thru the codes again, and I'll see what they say.

-Dan