R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Looking to get a little more performance

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 05:54 AM
ubertev
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to get a little more performance

Hey Mini Lovers. I've had my MCB for a few months now and I have been enjoying the holy hell out of it. I feel like it's time to get some new brakes for added stopping power. Thinking either Hawk Performance or EBC. Comments welcome. Below I came across an Intake kit. Is this a valid upgrade to make? Does it really return up to 11 HP? Anything else I should know before moving forward? Thanks everyone!

http://new.minimania.com/part/G2NME2...er---R56-07-08

Old 09-01-2016, 06:33 AM
BigBoost
4th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
depends on how much money you want to drop! i would say hawk's over ebc's
intake's are kind of a hit and miss with the mini's

Looking to get a little more performance-image-3513587477.jpg

Last edited by BigBoost; 09-01-2016 at 06:38 AM.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:50 AM
ubertev
1st Gear
No idea quite yet but not a significant amount. Significant being upwards of 2500k. I can't imagine spending that much on a base model anyways.

Old 09-01-2016, 02:06 PM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Intakes aren't going to net you much power. I personally chose to put in an aftermarket air filter instead, and I seem to be getting slightly better gas mileage and more BOV noise (so it's mostly aesthetic).

I had EBC Greens on my MCS and they are an OEM replacement so not really better stopping power, I think the EBC reds would be more suitable for a noticeable increase in braking performance. I definitely had some brake fade when scooting around rural roads with OEM/EBC Greens.

Old 09-01-2016, 03:01 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
R56

Originally Posted by ubertev
Hey Mini Lovers. I've had my MCB for a few months now and I have been enjoying the holy hell out of it. I feel like it's time to get some new brakes for added stopping power. Thinking either Hawk Performance or EBC. Comments welcome. Below I came across an Intake kit. Is this a valid upgrade to make? Does it really return up to 11 HP? Anything else I should know before moving forward? Thanks everyone!

http://new.minimania.com/part/G2NME2...er---R56-07-08
I checked with our resident expert about the HP gains at K&N. Here is his response:

"I am certain K&N saw 11 HP gains on their dyno....however dyno numbers are not accurate for product comparisons since dyno results can vary widely between the dyno equipment, environment, and/or the tester. Dyno numbers are only useful for before and after testing on the same dyno, same day, same operator, etc.

With that said, I always say to expect 4-6 hp gains with any intake upgrade. Gains may vary depending on what other mods are on the car."

Hope this helps! Cold air intake and Sprint Booster are the two most common upgrades to begin with.

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 09-01-2016, 05:30 PM
Troynm
1st Gear
I saw a recent YouTube video where they tried various cold air intakes on various 4 cylinder cars (no minis) and they only got like 1 HP gain on one car with one intake, no measurable gains on the rest except for a couple that resulted in a decrease in HP. I would like to see some before and after real world dyno tests on various intakes.

Old 09-02-2016, 04:10 AM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
I'm happy with EBC reds, installed my second set this spring. They faded on a track day, but work well (winter included) for daily driver use. better feel than stock. I have no comparison with Hawks.

Have fun,
Mike

Old 09-02-2016, 11:47 AM
Lobotomy
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cold Air Intake kits for the Mini Cooper are a bit hit-or-miss. You have to know exactly what you want before you throw money down on something that could negatively affect performance.

If you want a CAI to work, you need to ensure your engine bay has plenty of airflow, because accumulated hot air in the engine bay, where the intake is located, is not going to help you, despite having more breathing room for the intake.

If you want to do this and make it effective, then find a way to reduce your engine bay temp as much as possible as a very first step.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:56 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MCB? Does that "B" mean base? If that's the case, don't work about trying to net more power, because there isn't much to grab. Get yourself a good exhaust system, lower the thing and upgrade brakes. Also, if you haven't already, switch out the runflats to a performance tire. Wheels are optional. Just do the tires for sure. Play to the cars strengths. Make it handle and stop like no other.

Old 09-02-2016, 06:32 PM
isamin
4th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
$500 for JB &Sprintbooster & 7 minutes of your time will give you the most enjoyment for anything you do to these little cars and when you're done with the there are people standing in line waiting to buy your takeoff parts. Trust me - been there.done that, got the t-shirt,the tattoo ,and slept with the farmer's daughter.

ISAMIN

Old 09-02-2016, 06:58 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
That intake is for a non-turbo model. Even if it gave you 11hp @4700 rpm you probably wouldn't be able to tell. That's like turning off the AC.

If you change to aftermarket brake pads, they might not have as much initial bite as the OEM but better fade resistance and braking power when a little heated. You'll know the first time you hit the pedal, but it should get better after they're bed in.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:09 PM
Gambedegallina
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by isamin
$500 for JB &Sprintbooster & 7 minutes of your time will give you the most enjoyment for anything you do to these little cars and when you're done with the there are people standing in line waiting to buy your takeoff parts. Trust me - been there.done that, got the t-shirt,the tattoo ,and slept with the farmer's daughter.

ISAMIN
No comment on the farmer, but have the JB+ and SorintBooster on 2013 R56 and the combo is a blast. Save the "red light" for the track.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:45 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
For brakes I'd go with the EBC reds, I've never had good luck with Hawks so I don't use them in my shop.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-re...-cooper-s.html

As for intakes those 11hp claims are BS, you'll never get that. We do sell intakes, but I won't tell people intakes make HP to get a sale. Save your money there are plenty of other mods that will actually make power like intercoolers, piping, or tuning.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 09-06-2016, 12:18 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
R56

Here's a handy Performance Upgrade Guide based on 40 years with Classic and New MINIs on the street and track that can help guide you through the process:

http://new.minimania.com/Mini_Cooper...homepagebanner

Here are the experts' recommendations:

http://new.minimania.com/MINI_Cooper...ecommendations

Please ask if you have more questions!

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:36 PM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Until we know if you have a base MINI or a turbo MINI some of these recommendations may not work. We need more info.

Old 09-09-2016, 12:52 AM
soccrscot11
Neutral
Any advice on open vs closed intakes? I was looking at getting the DDM works RIS. Uses the hood scoop and modified factory air box. They claim it created for pressure on the intake side and the air temp was cooler than just an open intake and filter. Thoughts?

Old 09-09-2016, 06:49 AM
isamin
4th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I have this intake on my '13 JCW and my scangauge proves that it reduces intake temps. Sounds great too.
Drawbacks? This is a TIGHT fit and if you paint or decorate the scoop tunnel it will be SCRAPED by the motor thru normal vibration.
To clean your filter is a minor annoyance in that you have to break down the air box to get to the filter.
Factory seal from air box to hood could be better (I changed mine out after a week). Ask if you want to get in on a cheap & effective old hot rodder tip.
Would I do this again or choose an alternative? YES,as I firmly beleive the product really works the way it should.

ISAMIN