R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Vinyl Wrapping and Decals in South / Central Texas

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 04:38 PM
BMC_Kid
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Vinyl Wrapping and Decals in South / Central Texas

I always wanted a to have a checkerboard roof. Finally got around to having one designed and installed by a local sign and wrap company recently. It turned out great! He's located in San Antonio so if you are in central or south Texas and looking for someone good to design and install some vinyl, give them a call.

http://texascarwraps.com/

Since my car is solid Pepper White, they first had to cover the roof in gloss black vinyl, leaving the glass sunroof uncovered. Overlaid on top of this are the gloss red squares.

Last edited by BMC_Kid; 09-07-2016 at 09:24 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:06 PM
Bcoday
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I live in Texas as well and am not a fan of the front license plate requirements. Is it legal to have your front plate done in vinyl like that? If so, I'm doing this tomorrow. I have some friends that own a Signarama and they can print out whatever vinyl requests I have for my Coupe! Even reflective. Have you checked with the gov about the plate?

Old 09-07-2016, 08:49 PM
BMC_Kid
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Bcoday
I live in Texas as well and am not a fan of the front license plate requirements. Is it legal to have your front plate done in vinyl like that? If so, I'm doing this tomorrow. I have some friends that own a Signarama and they can print out whatever vinyl requests I have for my Coupe! Even reflective. Have you checked with the gov about the plate?
I've been stopped in the last 6 months by DPS 3 times. All for speeding but just barely. I've been given warning all three time. Not once did I receive a ticket for the front sticker. Even had one trooper look at it and just shake his head. Never even brought it up when he gave me the warning.

I even at one point back in 2011, drove with custom made European plates (with my Texas license plate numbers) for almost a year before I was stopped, given a ticket and told to put my office Texas plates back on. That I did but for almost a year, I got away with it because as he told me, he thought maybe it was an imported car and it did have my Texas license numbers on it. That was why he thought maybe I got away with it for so long.

This was my current car last year...

Back in 2012...

Now having said all this, you take a risk that the cop that pulls you over will be a different kind of cop and maybe not so forgiving. Most troopers, are considerate (as I am with them) because I am usually going with the flow of traffic, following the law and not driving like a maniac. I won't put a front plate on my car and am willing to pay a ticket but so far, knock on wood... that hasn't happened. You do it at your risk.

Also, as I found out earlier in the year, the Texas law on front plate placement was updated to require that the plate be mounted on the front most part of the car, e.g. the front bumper. Lots of people skirted the law by placing their plates up on their dash, so the Texas legislature fixed this back in 2010. The problem was, they forgot to attach the portion of the law that includes the fines for not following the law. So most police departments quit enforcing the law, since any informed citizen (or adequate attorney) could easily beat the prosecutor because there were no fines attached. Why bother writing a ticket when there are no consequences for not following the law. This was fixed during last year session, so more cops will probably be pulling people over for this if you run no plate. I think my decal is enough of a plate (and is my Texas license number) that at first glance, it looks kosher. But it isn't, not by any stretch of the law.

Found these photos of my first MINI back in 2005...

Had those plates on there for over a year and never was given a ticket.

Last edited by BMC_Kid; 09-07-2016 at 09:00 PM.