R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 R56 not starting after carbon cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016 | 05:01 PM
VII
|
1st Gear
R56 not starting after carbon cleaning

Hello, hello.

I performed a DIY carbon cleaning of the valves on my 2007 R56 and since then I have not been able to get it to start. It will crank all day long but not catch. I'm at about my 40th try by now, 5 or so days after I cleaned the valves.

The actual valve cleaning went well and they look pretty good now. I put everything back together and have taken the manifold off several times now to double check all connections are tight. I also used electrical connection cleaner on all connections. I checked for blockages and there are none. I check all my plugs and coils for spark and they all produce a seemingly healthy spark. Battery is charged and healthy. Pulling the plugs after cranking shows they aren't exceptionally dirty, just some mild carbon and a little fuel on them. Looking in the cylinders I can see some carbon and a little wetness after trying to start, likely from unburnt fuel. I let all cylinders sit without plugs/coils to dry for a couple days just in case. I've tried different plugs and coils. I checked what I believe is the fuel pump fuse in the passenger kickpanel and it's fine.

Here is my theory: Gunk got into the cylinders and won't let combustion happen now. I've vacuumed the top of each piston and it helped with the carbon but it isn't all gone but honestly doesn't look like much. Also perhaps the injectors are clogged up? I am getting some fuel into each cylinder though but possibly not enough. I sprayed starting fluid into my filter and that didn't help. Could I spray some directly through the spark plug holes and try to start it?

I suspect I may need to dissolve the the carbon in each cylinder and then suck/blow it out. What is the best way to do this? Fill each cylinder with carb cleaner, soak briefly then crank with no plugs in to blow it all out? The plugs don't get super filthy so I suspect something else, something simpler like something I left unplugged that I can't locate. After several attempts and looking all over I can't see anything obvious.

I'm out of ideas and open to suggestions. Thanks in advance.