R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Buying a daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 02:22 PM
Hairy W Bush
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Buying a daily driver

Going to be buying a manual cooper s likely 2nd gen or clubman s. Who here uses one as an every day driver? Curious how they hold up. I think it would suit me. Looking to actually possibly trade in my current car for a 09 cooper s manual that has 62k miles.

Old 11-06-2016, 02:44 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 571 Likes on 487 Posts
09 S model is an N14 engine which has a bad reputation for reliability. 2011 and up is a better choice with N18.

Old 11-06-2016, 02:48 PM
Hairy W Bush
2nd Gear
I can't afford an 11+

Old 11-06-2016, 02:51 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 571 Likes on 487 Posts
After the repairs on the 09 you might be considering that you cant afford the 09. Might want to go with a different plan or roll the dice.

Old 11-06-2016, 02:55 PM
Hairy W Bush
2nd Gear
well is the 09 the only year known for an issue? what's the issue?

Old 11-06-2016, 03:28 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by Hairy W Bush
well is the 09 the only year known for an issue? what's the issue?
N14 is in '07 - '10 and maybe some '11's. For a daily driver, go for a base version, naturally aspirated with the N12 engine --- much more reliable, and around town, almost as much fun. If you gotta have the "S" version, the N18 had a lot of the bugs worked out. Maybe even go for the older '02 - '06 MCS --- supercharged and a lot more reliable.

N14 common issues ---
Timing chain / tensioner
Turbo oil feed line
Turbo aux coolant pump
High Pressure Fuel Pump
Excess oil consumption --- 500 miles/quart
Clutch failure

Probably more but I can't think of them right now. Some of these are warranty replacement items and / or have been recalled.

Whatever you decide on, get the service history with it. Also, if you're buying the '09 from a dealer, a good maintenance / service contract is a good investment --- expensive but a money saver in the long run.

Old 11-06-2016, 03:40 PM
Hairy W Bush
2nd Gear
Ok what do you think about this?
this is an 05 http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/ctd/5858228242.html
only thing I'm wondering about these is what I can do with the radio...I like to use a usb drive for music
the 09 i was telling about is through a dealer and he says It has been mechanically maintained and serviced all its life.but now I'm kinda wondering. I MAY consider a non s if the price is right and close enough. the non S in these problematic years is reliable though?

Last edited by Hairy W Bush; 11-06-2016 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:48 PM
Mini3333
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Use the VIN Decoder in making your selection. http://bimmer.work/

Old 11-06-2016, 05:25 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
only thing I'm wondering about these is what I can do with the radio...I like to use a usb drive for music
the 09 i was telling about is through a dealer and he says It has been mechanically maintained and serviced all its life.but now I'm kinda wondering. I MAY consider a non s if the price is right and close enough. the non S in these problematic years is reliable though?
There's no way I'm gonna recommend a specific car --- no more than I already have. You need to drive it, check it's history, evaluate the seller, compare pricing, decide whether or not the trade-offs are worth it, etc. When I lived on the pacific coast, salt water was a problem with body and paint, 'specially with "older" cars. I expect FL has similar issues. As a confirmed sceptic, I'd be wary of the '09's low mileage --- it may have been garaged, waiting for repairs that couldn't be diagnosed and fixed in a timely manner. Mini dealer shop labor is typically $150/hr plus, and their parts are no bargain either.

As for reliability, my standard is Consumer Reports. For them, the Mini Cooper isn't even worth considering --- if reliability is a significant factor. For the gen 1 & 2 versions, the non-"S" is the most reliable model available (personal opinion). I bought my '07 MCS 6 years ago, intending to build a high performance, daily driver, "sleeper". I succeeded! Reliability was never a consideration. Fortunately, my choice had a couple years of extended warranty that covered all the above mentioned failures --- at least the ones I didn't replace with upgrades.

If there's no rush, search this forum for reliability issues --- do some browsing. Maybe wait for other owners to chip in with advice. There's bound to be some out there who disagree with my suggestions.

Best of luck with your decision making --- don't rush it.

Old 11-06-2016, 05:26 PM
randeez
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I daily a 2011 S (n18) but it'd be tough to recommend it for as much driving as i do lol
My first post was august 2015, picked up car with 33k - Im at about 104k last time I checked
I havent had any oil consumption issues like the earlier years but plenty of minor leaks. Still had to replace thermostat housing, hpfp, couple ignition coils. Gotta keep on top of maintenance .
Has had manic tune since about 65k miles and I beat the hell out of it. I consider it reliable but isn't cheap keeping it that way

Old 11-06-2016, 05:28 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
I can't afford an 11+
You're getting some good advice. No matter which mini you get, the maintenance and repair on these cars is not cheap. It is a BMW; think MB, Porsche etc costs..

Old 11-07-2016, 09:37 AM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
I daily drove an 08 Cooper S with the infamous N14 engine for almost 3 years, no major problems. The timing chain tensioner was replaced once, thermostat was replaced once but besides that the car ran great. Bought it used with 38k miles, sold it with 78k miles. I changed the oil every 4-5k miles which I think helped prevent any major problems. That, and the fact that a lot of the miles were highway miles driving between places like Milwaukee, Madison and St. Louis. It was a manual and stock clutch was still going strong when I sold it.

Now I daily drive a 2013 JCW and it only has 14k miles, so I don't expect any problems for a long time.

edit: grussell's post reminded me that I replaced the turbo oil line, return line, and oil filter housing seal with the Detroit Tuned Super Oil Line kit (great kit) on the 08. Took me like 14 hours with a friend and was a pain but saved me probably a thousand dollars in labor costs. A dealer checkup noticed oil leaking from the oil filter housing so I decided to take care of it myself and it is a common occurrence in the N14 cars. At the same time, I installed a Helix Intercooler and catless downpipe too.

Last edited by 3lusive; 11-07-2016 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:15 AM
grussell
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My wife drives almost 100 miles per day round trip to and from work. She bought her 3rd standard transmission MINI in July. Here is our experience:

2002 Mini non S - Sold with 138k, No major cost other than routine maintenance. Sold it due to rust around the rear tail lights from the inside out.
2010 Clubman S - Sold with 125k, Replaced thermostat, oil cooler gasket, right side transmission axle seal, valve cover and routine maintenance. I was able to do all of the work which saved a tremendous amount.
2012 Countryman S - Bought it with 29k and less than a month later the clutch went out. I blame it on the prior owner not knowing how to drive a standard. The selling dealer paid for the parts and I did the work.

I would not buy a pre 2011 without full maintenance records and/or a full pre-inspection from an independent shop that specializes in MINI's.

Old 11-08-2016, 08:51 AM
scottselk
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As proof you cannot pick a year and model and assume it is good or bad. I bought my first and only Cooper Non S 08 hatchback a little over a year ago it had just over 120,000 miles on it, when looking I could not hear it run. I was told it had a blown head gasket and when I asked to see a video of it running the owner could not produce it due to the fact it would not turn over. I assumed either bad battery or hydraulic lock due to antifreeze in the block. It was about 670 miles from my home in Wyoming. When I picked up the car it had fluid just below three of the four spark plugs. After towing home on a car dolly I drained the block and it appeared like it had been over filled with oil (I think three plus gals). I refilled block with right amount of oil and a new filter and have since put over 37000 miles on it with no other maintenance other than plugs, a air filter and oil changes as required. I average over 85 miles a day because I drive 90 miles round trip daily to work. It is my daily driver and then some. Love this thing and don't know how I managed before it existed in my life.

Old 11-10-2016, 05:02 AM
MazMini
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I picked up a 2007 for about $5300 last year and honestly its been a GREAT CAR! Like others have said there are maintenance issues you have to take care of first.
- thermostat, thermostat housing, water pump and carbon cleaning
- oil consumption for me mostly highway is about 1qt every 1k..
- I am going to do my timing chain and tensioner in two weeks and after that its bullet proof..

I get about 28mpg but I drive the thing like i stole it!

Old 11-10-2016, 08:20 AM
ColoCoug
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If you're not a DIY type with a fair amount of automotive experience, stick with 2011 or newer.

Old 11-10-2016, 02:28 PM
Mini3333
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MazMini
I picked up a 2007 for about $5300 last year and honestly its been a GREAT CAR! Like others have said there are maintenance issues you have to take care of first.
- thermostat, thermostat housing, water pump and carbon cleaning
- oil consumption for me mostly highway is about 1qt every 1k..
- I am going to do my timing chain and tensioner in two weeks and after that its bullet proof..

I get about 28mpg but I drive the thing like i stole it!
I am glad to hear that a mini found a good home! Because you're the DIY type...this is truly the perfect car for you! My 2008 MCS had about the same oil consumption. However, the MPG was 33 for the first few years and then dropped to ~31 MPG.

Old 11-10-2016, 07:06 PM
grussell
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Our 2010 N14 used very little oil and it was driven almost 100 miles per day back and forth to work 5 to 6 days a week. It averaged 32-33 mpg with a standard tranny. The 2012 CM S with the standard tranny averages about 31 mpg.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:54 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Obviously there are some N14's with a good history. TLC and "the luck 'o the draw"? You're getting a reasonable response from the NAM membership. Hopefully, you've made up your mind. Let us know when you make a buy?