R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Auto Leveling Xenons question

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 09:53 AM
trinigladiator
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Auto Leveling Xenons question

I have a 2009 R56 with 83K with OEM auto leveling xenon headlights.
I noticed a few nights ago that my lights actually dip (point lower to the ground) under braking. This is the opposite of what I would expect auto leveling lights to do in this scenario.

Anyone else experienced this or know if this is normal behavior?

Old 11-24-2016, 10:11 AM
JustinGTP
5th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
By how much? The auto levelling do their own thing quite a bit unless they are way off I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 11-24-2016, 07:12 PM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by trinigladiator
I have a 2009 R56 with 83K with OEM auto leveling xenon headlights.
I noticed a few nights ago that my lights actually dip (point lower to the ground) under braking. This is the opposite of what I would expect auto leveling lights to do in this scenario.

Anyone else experienced this or know if this is normal behavior?
Are you sure they're actually dipping or it's just your car nose-diving a little due to weight transfer and the lights following it? The lights have some "damping" built in so they don't wave up and down on every little bump. If you brake short and sharp your car will nose dive a bit, and by the time the lights figure it out you'll be off the brakes and it will be level again.

My favourite test is the opposite, actually. Find a long dark straight, put your full headlights on and gun it as hard from a stop. You'll see your lights go skywards as you accelerate and the weight shifts to the back, then a few seconds later they'll dip down to compensate for the attitude of the car.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:36 AM
trinigladiator
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by spiney
Are you sure they're actually dipping or it's just your car nose-diving a little due to weight transfer and the lights following it? The lights have some "damping" built in so they don't wave up and down on every little bump. If you brake short and sharp your car will nose dive a bit, and by the time the lights figure it out you'll be off the brakes and it will be level again.
That's a good question. I guess I just never noticed the dipping before in the seven years I've owned the car. Interestingly, the dipping did not occur when I put on the high beam.

Originally Posted by spiney
My favourite test is the opposite, actually. Find a long dark straight, put your full headlights on and gun it as hard from a stop. You'll see your lights go skywards as you accelerate and the weight shifts to the back, then a few seconds later they'll dip down to compensate for the attitude of the car.
I'll need to try that test either from a stop, under hard acceleration.

Last edited by trinigladiator; 11-25-2016 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:05 PM
Kristopher Sullivan
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Auto Aim does their own thing. They should move up and down. Also keep in mind they may jiggle on a bump or hard breaking since Nose will take some impact due to that stiff suspension. If you turn the wheel to the right your lights will go right. If you turn to the left they will go center and barely left. 100% Normal. They won't go very far left due to the possibility of blinding oncoming traffic. The car should recalibrate it's lights when you turn the car on and off.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:17 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,865 Posts
Yes it auto controlled. Unless the headlight mounts inside the head lights are loose. It will point down in a nose dive.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-04-2016, 07:58 PM
trinigladiator
3rd Gear
Thanks. I think as some of you described it's just normal behavior for the lights to auto correct under the breaking. They went up temporarily when I tried the hard acceleration. Note, my lights don't have the horizontal adaptive feature, just vertical.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:48 AM
DevilsReject1011
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a question on this topic. I have a 2011 MCS with the Xenon self leveling headlights. When i turn my headlights on at night right when i start my car they are at a "normal" height. But after 5 mins of running they lower all the way down to running light position. If you sit and watch the level of the lights on a building you can see them slowly dropping down. I'm lost on what to do. I called the dealer and they want almost 200$ to diagnose it. Any suggestions?

Old 12-08-2016, 02:09 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Get the scan tool: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d-q-and-a.html

Most likely the level sensor if having problems and needs replaced.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...vel-issue.html

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-09-2016, 12:28 AM
DevilsReject1011
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks

Old 12-09-2016, 07:18 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Welcome.