R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Found Parts In Exhaust - Where Did They Come From?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 08:04 PM
Yankeed00dle
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Found Parts In Exhaust - Where Did They Come From?

Had the weirdest thing happen to me on my drive home. Noticied a rattling, almost scraping, like sound coming from the back of my car on the drive home. Only happened when going at least 50MPH.

When I get home, I drop down to take a look at the exhaust pipe and notice random parts in there. No unique qualities to really search on my own- any idea where they came from? Are they car parts? And is it safe to drive to get it fixed or should I tow?

Last edited by Yankeed00dle; 12-07-2016 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:10 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
Those are bits for one of those screwdrivers not car parts. Very odd that they would be in your exhaust, so how did they get there?

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 12-07-2016, 09:11 PM
JustinGTP
5th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Definitely looks like screwdriver bits. Someone "screwing" with you?

Old 12-07-2016, 09:17 PM
Yankeed00dle
Neutral
Originally Posted by JustinGTP
Definitely looks like screwdriver bits. Someone "screwing" with you?
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Those are bits for one of those screwdrivers not car parts. Very odd that they would be in your exhaust, so how did they get there?
I literally have no idea. I parked in the same parking garage I've been in all year. I can't wrap my head around why anyone would do that lol.

Old 12-08-2016, 12:00 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 373 Likes on 314 Posts
At 50 MPH, what kept them from getting left behind? They been put there a purpose I recon. Somebody screwing with you or visa versa?

Old 12-08-2016, 03:23 AM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Just a rotten prank to pull on someone. By the looks of your tips they might have thought they were getting even with you! At least you found it. I can picture some poor sob having to tolerate that the rest of the time they owned the car.

Old 12-08-2016, 04:49 AM
aviaator
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That doesn't look like stock exhaust. Is it really loud? Perhaps someone is screwing with you, trying to get those bits into your muffler to cause a hidden rattle that will drive you crazy. Unsuccessful attempt.

Old 12-08-2016, 04:59 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
At 50 MPH, what kept them from getting left behind? They been put there a purpose I recon. Somebody screwing with you or visa versa?
Probably a bit magnetic?

Old 12-08-2016, 06:59 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 373 Likes on 314 Posts
Originally Posted by spiney
Probably a bit magnetic?
Could have been, you never know and bouncing around in there on the road...
Looking at this from a silly prankster's point of view it is hard to see the point in the first place. Go figure. Now, jamming a potato in the tail pipe, yes. We did that upon occasion back in the good ol' days just to watch a guy try to get his new Hudson running.

Old 12-08-2016, 07:09 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Pieces of catalyst from the catalytic converter?

Old 12-08-2016, 10:54 AM
Yankeed00dle
Neutral
Originally Posted by whaap
Just a rotten prank to pull on someone. By the looks of your tips they might have thought they were getting even with you! At least you found it. I can picture some poor sob having to tolerate that the rest of the time they owned the car.
Originally Posted by aviaator
That doesn't look like stock exhaust. Is it really loud? Perhaps someone is screwing with you, trying to get those bits into your muffler to cause a hidden rattle that will drive you crazy. Unsuccessful attempt.
Could have been, you never know and bouncing around in there on the road...
Looking at this from a silly prankster's point of view it is hard to see the point in the first place. Go figure. Now, jamming a potato in the tail pipe, yes. We did that upon occasion back in the good ol' days just to watch a guy try to get his new Hudson running.
Yeah that's not a stock exhaust. It can get loud but not as loud as the diesel trucks around my neighborhood. I didn't notice the sound until my drive home (I drove to Philly where I work without the radio on in the morning) so they were placed during the day.

It's a really odd "prank" to pull and I suppose I'm lucky there's a dip in the exhaust that prevented them from shimming down further. I showed them to a buddy who said the same thing about screwdriver parts- each has a different head. Didn't notice any sounds this morning once they were removed thankfully!

Old 12-08-2016, 11:18 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,865 Posts
Yea, someone must have thrown those in there. I would take the exhaust off and see it you can get any more of them out. That way when you go down the street they don't fly out and hit someone else's car.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172