R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Test Drive Questions - 2009 Mini Cooper

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 06:52 PM
ChesapeakeTechie
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test Drive Questions - 2009 Mini Cooper

I test drove a 2009 Mini Cooper tonight after looking for a good long while and have a few questions for the group. The car has 110k miles on it and was it very nice condition. They are asking $5k which seems to be below book value.

1) The clutch seemed to release towards the top of the travel range and seemed a bit heavy (maybe I'm just used to the Miata), is this normal and can it be adjusted more towards the middle?

2) When it was first started (it was about 45 degrees outside) there was a ticking sound like maybe some valve noise. My Miata used to do the same thing and it seemed to go away after the car was driven some

3) The headlights on low didn't seem to illuminate very far ahead, the high beams worked well. Anything to check for or adjust here?

4) The Tire Pressure Light was on and the dealer said they replaced the sensors and couldn't find the issue. I'm not too worried but is this a common issue?

Thanks everyone and looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Old 12-08-2016, 07:15 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
If the clutch grabs at the top and stiffer that is a sign that it is worn and may need it soon.

Ticking, hard to say without hearing it as they all have some ticks.

Headlights. If they aren't Xenons they just aren't bright. This is commonly a deal breaker for owners. Upgrading to Xenons is about $1000

Tire press light should first be reset. If not have it fixed before getting it so you don't get sacked with a bill right off.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 12-09-2016, 07:19 AM
ChesapeakeTechie
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks! It didn't seem too stiff but seemed to grab very close to the top of the pedal travel? Were the Xenons part of a package or just a stand alone option? Any option for brighter non-Xenon headlights if they don't come with the car?

Thanks for the feedback!

Old 12-11-2016, 05:19 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
I've tried a bunch of different headlight bulbs over the year with no great results. I traded the car for xenons and they are very, very nice.

You can aim the headlights, there is a nut on top (rearward of the lens) and two adjustments low on the sides of the headlights. Before you do that, go to a dark place and stand in front of the lights one at a time. This will help show you if they are out of alignment or just dim.

I had a TPMS receiver go bad on my 08, the dealer found the issue for me, it was a $40 part. The car didn't pinpoint which tire wasn't receiving properly. To reset the sensors, tap the end of the turn signal lever until you see a message like 'RESET'. It will take about 30 seconds and then a mile or two to reset. If the light doesn't go out, there is another problem.

Have fun,
Mike