R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Stage One or Two Tune

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 03:29 PM
Rob Mc
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stage One or Two Tune

Looking at a ECU flash tune. Mini Cooper S Ecu Upgrade Nm Engineering Gen2 R56. Have a K & N intake, Milltek Hi cat Down Pipe and Borla Cat back mods but no upgrade for intercooler... Can't find what a Stage 1 will do ... need the intercooler for Stage 2? Live in Maryland and was told intercooler upgrade won't do much.... Suggestions?

Rob Mc

Old 12-09-2016, 04:02 PM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Intercooler upgrade is more about avoiding heatsoak during repeated WOT runs like on the track. Might not see as much of a difference on your daily commute. But if you're driving back roads spiritedly it probably would help. Stage 1 typically requires no supporting mods, stage 2 typically needs intake, hi flow or catless downpipe, exhaust and IC, plus colder plugs recommended.

Old 12-09-2016, 04:11 PM
Rob Mc
1st Gear
thanks if I keep it to stage 1 what can I expect in terms of improvement

Old 12-10-2016, 10:56 AM
xSpartanCx
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're looking at not doing anything other than a tune, go for a JB+. You'll get about 25HP out of it for only like $200 used and you can resell it if you ever decide to go further.

Old 12-10-2016, 11:10 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Get Manic tune. I think that there is a Manic dealer in Maryland.

Old 12-10-2016, 11:21 AM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Ask MarioKart on this forum, he's pretty active and is a well respected Manic tuner. I think I've seen numbers like +20hp, +30tq but I am not sure. I would expect more with your mods, you're basically at stage 2 so you could get stage 2 and then add an IC later on. Or you could go stage 1 and when you add the IC, upgrade to stage 2. Most tuners will only charge the difference for an upgrade but you still have to ship your ECU to them again unless they're local to you

Old 12-10-2016, 02:25 PM
Rob Mc
1st Gear
Thanks. With my mods I am on the fence re Stage 1 or going 2 w adding an intercooler. The check engine light came on today and I get some vibration that I can even feel in the steering wheel briefly when doing hard acceleration at @ 3k rmp. Have new coilovers (BC BR Series recommended by FCP Euro), new engine mount and new front axles so hoping its just the tune at this point.

New to the Forum... can you tell me how to contact another member - MariKart?

Thanks,

Rob

Old 12-10-2016, 10:28 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
We do ECU tunes weekly at our shop and the best advice I can give is to do the Forge intercooler first. Even without the tune you will notice gains, but with the tune it gets even better.
We've also had a couple customers that had the NM tune that we upgraded and they reported back they loved the improvement and couldn't believe how much better it was.
So after the intercooler I would do the stage 1 tune. Then if later you want to go stage 2 it's only $100 upgrade, but if you are happy on stage 1 you'll have an extra $100 for other mods.
We do a 24hr turn around on ECU tunes when you ship it to us.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/perfor...-cooper-s.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more