R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 '12 CooperS Issues again: Electrical, plugs, thermostat @ 50 k miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 07:54 AM
Tsquared
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'12 CooperS Issues again: Electrical, plugs, thermostat @ 50 k miles

It is out of warranty and starting to cost major $$. A $2600 repair estimate on a 2012 that has 50K on it is unacceptable. Sorry for the rant.

This is the third electronic board to crap out since I have got the car new. The RDC module (tire pressure board) went Tango Uniform and it is a $580 fix - It will stay broke unless I find a cheaper fix. This was a month ago. This also reaffirms the old rule that the English electrical systems/electronics are junk.

Per my wife, the Check Engine came on after she left work for lunch yesterday and it ran very rough. She limped it into the Mini dealer across the street who diagnosed it for misfires in multiple cylinders. A new set of spark plugs to the tune of $470 and a car wash and it is drivable again.

Items identified as needing replacement as they are going to fail soon: Thermostat - I am aware of the low-quality thermostat housing but it was news to me there was a sensor that could tell the life of the thermostat $650 (I will do this repair myself when it starts leaking). Brakes front/rear with fluid purge - they had been replaced within the past 10k along with a fluid flush and the service indicators reset but the dealership records indicated this had not been done and it needed to happen ($800). Tire rotation - there is a Costco sticker on the windshield with a 54K mile reminder but, again, it is not in "their" history of our car.

Thankfully my wife had them fix only the problem that caused the check engine. The rest I will figure out something to fix. I have seen the thermostat R/R and it doesn't look to be too bad. I have got to research the RDC board. If I cannot find a cheap fix I will take it down to Way Motorworks as I would rather pay him than the stealership.

Old 12-12-2016, 07:46 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
The thermostat/housing assembly may actually fall under your emissions warranty, which should be 8 years/80k miles. Maybe even 10 years/100k. I would press the dealer on that issue. Multiple misfires could also be a High Pressure Fuel Pump beginning to fail. My HPFP on my 2011 has been replaced under factory warranty, as well as all 4 coil packs under my extended Hendrick AutoGaurd aftermarket warranty. Definitely press the dealer on ALL of your issues, as they are seemingly quite common failure points.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:19 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 432 Likes on 398 Posts
I think you should be able to just buy the module from ebay or car-part.com and install it. how did they diagnose the fault of that module?