R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Front windshield washer pump stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 02:17 PM
jgradyc
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front windshield washer pump stopped working

2008 Cooper S. The front windshield washer pump is not working. The rear pump works and sprays fine. There is no motor noise at all when I try to use the front washers. The fuse in the passenger side kick panel is still good.

This happened after a hard freeze. The washer fluid should have been good down to zero and it only got to 19, so I don't see how that could be a factor.

It looks like a pain to get the pump out, so I thought I'd ask about it here before proceeding. Is there a relay somewhere I should check? What's the likely problem?

Last edited by jgradyc; 12-28-2016 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:16 PM
bcriverjunky
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Mine wouldn't spray the last time I drove my car and not so sure if it ever worked. It's just a weekend summer vehicle. I plan on looking into it when I put on my JCW aero kit this winter.

Old 12-28-2016, 04:21 PM
jgradyc
Neutral
It looks like I can access the pump by removing the tire and going through the front wheel well without removing the entire reservoir. I'm going to try that and test the pump.... Wait! How can the rear washer work if the front one doesn't? Does it have a second pump somewhere? Oh, well...

I'll have to wait until warmer weather to test the pump. It's going to be cold for the next several days in Nashville.

Last edited by jgradyc; 12-28-2016 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:19 AM
dmyer
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It is the same pump... runs in reverse for rear wipers I believe. Do the headlights still wash(if equipped)?

Old 12-29-2016, 08:52 AM
jgradyc
Neutral
Originally Posted by dmyer
It is the same pump... runs in reverse for rear wipers I believe. Do the headlights still wash(if equipped)?
It does not have headlight washers. I've tried the front washer with the engine off and key fob in place and there is no sound. The rear washer works under the same condition. Maybe there is a relay inside of the pump that burned out? Just guessing.

Old 12-31-2016, 06:59 AM
jgradyc
Neutral
Okay, I found the problem. I wasn't pulling the windshield wiper stalk towards me to activate the washer. I guess it hadn't rained in so long I forgot how to turn on the washer! <slaps forehead>