R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 R56 error codes

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 04:56 PM
Old Joe
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56 error codes

2007 R56 Mini, automatic, hatchback, standard -- not S.

Check engine light came on. My OBD II scanner showed P173B, temperature sensor. I replaced the temperature sensor as shown in this photo.

I cleared the code, turned off ignition, restarted engine and the check engine light came back on. However when I connect my code scanner, it tells me NO DTC CODES PRESENT IN VEHICLE COMPUTER.

I pushed the button on the end of the turn signal stalk . . . I don't recall the sequence of presses and holds, however, eventually I got to a place where the displays in the tachometer show the check engine icon and a code CC-ID 031.

I found several references to CC-ID 031 as being emission control error.

About a week ago, the check engine light came on and the code was ????, Bank 1 Oxygen Sensor (the O2 sensor on the engine manifold, not the one behind the catalytic converter). I have a new O2 sensor ordered and will replace the sensor as soon as the new one arrives.

How do I clear the CC-ID 031 code and shut off the check engine light?

Thanks.

Old 01-02-2017, 05:03 PM
Old Joe
1st Gear
And another thing: The thermostat housing was replaced about three weeks ago. While searching for the temperature sensor, I found a wire connector that the guy who replaced the housing did not reconnect.

Is it possible he did not reconnect something in the emission control system and that's what is giving me the CC-ID 031 code? Where should I look?

Thanks.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:04 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 432 Likes on 398 Posts
every thing is possible. can you tell what was that connector going to? Also, the check engine light does not necessarily mean engine related codes. It can also be codes stored in the CAS or the EGS (automatic trans module).

Old 01-03-2017, 12:42 PM
Old Joe
1st Gear
Okay, thanks. I'm not certain where the connector went . . . both ends of the wiring disappeared into the bowels of the engine compartment.

How do I clear the CC-ID 031 code and shut off the CELight?

Thanks.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:06 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
from you OBD. i understand that you reconnected that one you found unconnected, right?

Old 01-03-2017, 05:34 PM
Old Joe
1st Gear
Yes, I did.

This is what happened.

Month ago, noticed cooling fan was not running when I returned home from 16 mile trip. Took Cooper to local general repair guy who replaced the big, black plastic thermostat housing, which was leaking. Fan now works.

A week ago, CEL came on. Pulled code with my code reader; code was temperature sensor. Replaced the temp sensor. Looked around under the hood for anything that looked funny -- found a male connector on the end of a pair of wires dangling behind and to the left of the right headlight. Found an unconnected female connector a couple of inches away from the male connector. Connected them together. Can't tell of any change in the car's operation. I figured my local repair guy did not reconnect these connectors when he replaced the thermostat housing.

Cleared the temp sensor code from the OBD system. Cranked up the car with new temp sensor. CEL came on. Connected OBD scanner, it told me NO DTC CODES FOUND. Strange, I thought -- if no codes present, why is the CEL on? Switched off ignition, pulled key fob, waited a minute, restarted engine, CEL on. Connected scanner, NO DTC CODES FOUND. Cursed a bit, scratched my head, tried it again. Same thing.

Fiddled around with the button on the end of the turn signal stalk until the displays in the tach showed big yellow CEL icon and the code CC-ID 031. Turned off Cooper, came in the house, Googled CC-ID 031, found several references that said CC-ID 031 is emission problem.

A couple of weeks ago, CEL came on and code was Bank 1 oxygen sensor. Cleared that code and it has not reappeared. Is it possible the CC-ID 031 is the Bank 1 O2 sensor?

Thanks for your patience . . . I'm probably not explaining things very well.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:52 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
It is ok buddy we all been that road at some point in time...dont let me start lol lol or rotf...
The big connector under the reservoir was for the fans...was that CEL always on when you bought the car?

Old 01-03-2017, 06:45 PM
Old Joe
1st Gear
No, I'm the original owner, bought the car in August 2007. It's been trouble-free until now, nothing but normal maintenance.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:58 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
If the car isnt due for inspection or the car functions ok, i would drive it for a while to reset the computer and see if other codes come out. As i mentioned before, there other other modules than can trigger CEL that isnt directly related to the engine.
what region are you in?

Old 01-03-2017, 07:50 PM
Old Joe
1st Gear
Thanks, again.

That's what I'm doing. The car is running fine, peppy as usual, no noises or odors, no fluid use. Oil change due in about 2,500. Small oil drip; 18 months ago when I put on new tires, dealer said need to replace oil filter housing gasket for $780; I figured it was easier and less expensive to check oil regularly. So far, in 18 months, I've added total of 4 ounces.

I'm in Eastern Virginia, on the Chesapeake Bay. Dealer is two hours away in Richmond.

Old 01-18-2017, 07:17 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Sorry i got burried woth ither threads...just checking in to see if any updateds since your last post.