R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Cold Start Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017 | 07:02 AM
CrashDummy
|
1st Gear
Cold Start Misfire

I did a bunch of searching but most of what I've found is people discussing the Cooper S. My wife's car is a 2013 base model cooper (Justa) with 52K miles.
We're in the Northeast USA so it's cold at night and the car sits outside.
A couple weeks ago she got a check engine light on a short drive to the gym so I pulled the code. There were a couple codes and a couple of pending codes (random misfire, cylinder 3 misfire, cylinder 4 misfire). The car seemed to be running OK. I cleared the codes, filled the car up with 93 (like we always do), and added some Techron fuel system cleaner.
Everything was fine for a couple weeks.
This morning when my wife started up the car she said it was running rough. About a half mile down the road the Half Shaded Engine Reduced Power warning came on so she turned around and came home. I pulled the codes, but there was only one pending code for cylinder 4 misfire....no confirmed codes. I cleared the code and went for a drive. Everything seems fine.
Any advice?
I'm thinking I'll throw some new spark plugs at it but beyond that I'm not sure how to proceed.

Last edited by CrashDummy; 01-14-2017 at 07:10 AM.
Old 01-14-2017 | 07:30 PM
BruceJ
2nd Gear
b4 you change plugs, swap coil from cyl 4 with another. if the misfire code follows it to the new cyl then replace the coil.

Old 01-15-2017 | 03:50 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
+1
My car was acting wierd with this cold weather. I eventually lost a coil pack 15 miles away from home. Also the airbag light was coming and going. Now that the weather is a bit warmer (above freezing lol) aorbag light doent come on. New coil pack was the fix for my issue...good luck