R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Sway bar end links?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 01:33 PM
Scooter24
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Sway bar end links?

Ok trying to get some opinions on different brands for front and rear adjustable links. What are some good ones and ones to stay away from? Thanks.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:08 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I have the whitelines, very well made, heavy duty and have oem style sealed joints

Attached Thumbnails Sway bar end links?-photo268.jpg   Sway bar end links?-photo230.jpg  
Old 04-03-2017, 04:48 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I have Alta's front and rear. They seem fine so far.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:01 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
If you live in a dusty area, definitely get end links with boots. The exposed heim-joint units will wear out quickly when exposed to dirt and dust. I bought a set of SuperPro units from Australia, IIRC, and they are nice stout units with rubber boots to seal out moisture and dirt.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:47 AM
Scooter24
4th Gear
Other than the type of joints are there is other specie things that need to be recognized? Like the amount the can adjust?

Old 04-04-2017, 09:26 AM
Scooter24
4th Gear
Originally Posted by bavmotors
I have the whitelines, very well made, heavy duty and have oem style sealed joints

How long have you had them? I was looking at power grid end links, they are $155 a set. The whiteline are $120 I'm not sure if one is better than the other or not.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:32 AM
thefarside
4th Gear
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
How big a bar must one have before the stock links won't cut it? I've had a 19mm TSW RSB, cinched up all the way, for two years on stock links, no problems.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:53 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
Actually we feel that most the aftermarket end links are junk. Using the heim joints on the links just leaves them exposed and we often see within a week of a customer installing them they start clunking and rattling. Not to mention the price you pay for them to make noise.

So if you just have a street car and are not corner weighting it, racing it, or extreme lowering the cheapo stock links will work fine for you. Many MINI aftermarket companies selling sway bars lie to customers telling them they "have" to get their aftermarket links cause the stock ones are week. That is total BS as the stock one are usually far more reliable than the heim joint ones they want to sell you.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/sway-b...7-r58-r59.html

But if you want aftermarket with the ability to adjust we have ours that have the sealed ball sockets so they don't make noise and solid steel center shafts that are super strong. Been using these on my race car for like 10yrs plus and haven't broken or worn one out.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-ad...-endlinks.html

Also the steel shafts are much smaller than most the cheaper aluminum ones. This is a huge advantage as ours will fit better and give you more clearance as the larger ones like the whitelines and other similar brands the large aluminum centers can get in the way and often are heavier than you would think.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

The following users liked this post:
fonseca (10-13-2020)
Old 04-04-2017, 12:04 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Scooter24
How long have you had them? I was looking at power grid end links, they are $155 a set. The whiteline are $120 I'm not sure if one is better than the other or not.
Only installed them a couple weeks ago, my buddy had an extra set laying around and one stock links was stripped. Like way said the clearance is tight with them because they are beefy. Very well made though.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:05 PM
Scooter24
4th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Actually we feel that most the aftermarket end links are junk. Using the heim joints on the links just leaves them exposed and we often see within a week of a customer installing them they start clunking and rattling. Not to mention the price you pay for them to make noise.

So if you just have a street car and are not corner weighting it, racing it, or extreme lowering the cheapo stock links will work fine for you. Many MINI aftermarket companies selling sway bars lie to customers telling them they "have" to get their aftermarket links cause the stock ones are week. That is total BS as the stock one are usually far more reliable than the heim joint ones they want to sell you.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/sway-b...7-r58-r59.html

But if you want aftermarket with the ability to adjust we have ours that have the sealed ball sockets so they don't make noise and solid steel center shafts that are super strong. Been using these on my race car for like 10yrs plus and haven't broken or worn one out.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-ad...-endlinks.html

Also the steel shafts are much smaller than most the cheaper aluminum ones. This is a huge advantage as ours will fit better and give you more clearance as the larger ones like the whitelines and other similar brands the large aluminum centers can get in the way and often are heavier than you would think.

I want to corner balance the car to optimize everything I can get out of it.the adjustable one you guys sell are they worth the extra 30 bucks compared to the whiteline?

Old 04-04-2017, 12:06 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
^^^ you might get a bias response there...

Old 04-04-2017, 04:04 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 215 Likes on 152 Posts
This would be one of those times where the phrase "You get what you pay for." applies. Way and Detroit Tuned make very similar links for I believe the same price. Both are vendors who strongly support our line of vehicles, won't steer you wrong and stand behind their products. Let the Honda's run that made in China crap.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:13 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
I do feel ours are better than the whiteline. The biggest reason is cause the size alone trying to make then clear everything and not bind or hit the control arms.
But I also feel the quality of the ball sockets is much better and know they last as I've been using them for so many years without issue.

But if you still want the whitelines we're happy to sell them to you too
https://www.waymotorworks.com/whitel...bar-links.html

https://www.waymotorworks.com/whitel...bar-links.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 04-05-2017, 05:38 AM
ceoengr
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always support our sponsors for all the good reasons mentioned above by Tigger2011. Also without our sponsors we would have no forum no community no free exchange of information and ideas.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:55 AM
Scooter24
4th Gear
I support our sponsors as much as I can. Just hard sometimes when you're a College student. $60 dollar difference is a lot ha. But I don't want to skimp out and I want what's best. I do have a question about corner balancing. When it's done, adjusting the away bar to add or remove preload part of the procedure to corner balance or is that only on adjusting preload on the coilover spring?

Old 04-05-2017, 09:11 AM
Scooter24
4th Gear
I should have proof read my last post. Adjusting the preload on the sway bar, is that part of the corner balance procedure? Or does corner balancing only involve adjusting the preload on the spring on the coilover? I'm paying to have it done since I don't have scales. But I'd still like to understand how it's done.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:28 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Just get the cheapest adjustable set with sealed joints and you'll be fine.