R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Best Sparkplugs for Cobb Tune?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 05:44 PM
Jckol
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Sparkplugs for Cobb Tune?

Currently running the Cobb Stage 1 tune on my car and the spark plugs are due for a change. I am planning on going stage 2 in the upcoming month or so, what spark plugs would you guys recommend I run on the car? I know the Manic Stage 2 tune requires different plugs for optimum performance, does anyone run any kind of aftermarket plug with their Cobb tune?

Old 04-03-2017, 06:42 PM
pizzaman09
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are running more boost there is a possibility that you would want to run one heat range lower on your plug to prevent preignition. I don't know much about your tune but given it is a "stage 2" tune on a turbocharged car, I would imagine that you are running more boost than standard. So, I would find out what ever plug is stock on the car, and go one heat range lower on the same model plug.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:04 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
On my "Cobb tune" the tuner just changed the gap to about 0.015" on stock plugs. Dyno'd at 280WHP. This was on an '07MCS. Switching to Manic stage 4, Manic wanted NGK 1442's --- one range colder than stock. Plugs are relatively cheap and easy to change --- why not try both (not necessarily the 1442's) and decide which set satisfies your butt dyno? If we knew your engine, etc, someone might know the next colder range part number.

BTW, 1422's take a different size socket wrench than stock plugs.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:10 PM
Jckol
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 S, so the n14 motor. Could it possibly be adverse to the performance if I put in plugs that are in too cold of a heat range?

Old 04-04-2017, 06:46 PM
pizzaman09
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
If the plugs are too cold, then they won't burn the carbon off of the plugs and they will foul. If the plug it too hot it will not last long and likely you will have knocking from the hot plug preingniting the fuel. There is no performance reason why a different heat range would be better unless it is in the incorrect temp range to burn off the carbon. A plug has to be 450C minimum to burn off carbon and below 800C to prevent burning up the electrode too quickly.

I have fond this out recently in a project car of mine where I inadvertently installed a spark plug that was 3 heat ranges colder than the stock plug.