R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Obx exhaust installed and reviewed 2017

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 08:20 PM
alwayzspeedin
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Obx exhaust installed and reviewed 2017

How's it going everyone. I been trolling and reading the forums about the OBX exhaust. Here's my install and review hopefully it's more informative then what I have found on here.

Installation. This system is a slip on exhaust not a bolt up. YOU WILL HAVE TO CUT YOUR EXHAUST RIGHT BEFORE THE CAT. YOU WILL NEED TO SAVE THE VBAND CLAMP SECTION AND CAT. PLEASE MEASURE THE DISTANCE AFTER YOU HAVE REMOVED YOR OEM EXHAUST AND LAY IT NEXT TO THE OBX ONE

this information wasn't on the forums anywhere. Or at least I didn't find it.
You will need to remove four hooks from the hanger and the v band that is on the down pipe. After removing this your oem exhaust should just drop down. I recommend removing the muffler hooks first , then vband and then the middle clamps. After removing the oem exhaust line it up with the OBX exhaust. Please connect the two sections together so you can gauge how much to chop. I chopped alittle less and when I slip the obx on two my oem section the pipe slid alittle further in to the resonator. I did this so I won't have a exhaust leak or at least a big one. The two Allen screw use on the obx pipe to clamp down on the oem pipe is useless. But I screwed it down all the way anyways. The extra bit then went in to the resonator helped from leaking. You will know what I mean when you lay the exhaust out. The clamp used to clamp down on the two obx sections is descent just make sure you slip the mid exiting of the obx pipe all the way in two the muffler section. After that reinstall the exhaust.

Sorry no pictures cause I was pissed when I figure out I had to hack saw my oem pipe to get this to work. When the stupid eBay auction said bolt on. Total **BS**. I payed $380 + $60 shipping.

My review.

Besides the install hiccup I am very impress with the sound, nice and deep not like a ricer ( bees in a coffee can sound ). I didn't hear any exhaust leak. But I'm pretty sure there is. As for driving I felt very little difference from my oem exhaust on the street. On the freeway it has alittle more pick up. I notice I was doing 90 when I'm usually driving 75-79. But the mini speedo is crap and always off too. I didn't have much drone and it wasn't that loud. All in all I like the exhaust and for its price. Looks cool sounds cool not much performance honestly