R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 DPF problem fault code

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 03:49 AM
christianmic
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DPF problem fault code

HEllo,
I have a mini R56 cooper D late 2012, there are some weeks that my mini show me a DPF error, I have no problems during driving. Anyway I use carly with their official odb 2 adapter, for a check, these are the errors that appears:

Engine / Motor:
- Guasto: Exhaust gas temperature sensor upstream of the catalyst, signal
- Code: 004987
- Guasto: Particle filter system
- Code: 00480A
- Guasto: Particle filter system
- Code: 00481A

I also then try forcing DPR regeneration, (many times) driving as requested, but soot doesn't go down...

Do you think that the problem could be the fault 4987? (maybe the exhaust gas temperature sensor giving incorrect data, don't let to start dpf regeneration process...?)

thanks

Old 06-13-2022, 07:23 PM
Liampaddick
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably won’t help you now but may help someone else

From my experience (Not a mechanic, just someone that has had a lot of DPF issues with their R56 SD! The code that isn’t the DPF code is the issue. The car so t regen the DPF if there are any errors in the system so once that is fixed the car should be able to do one if the right conditions are met.

These conditions being, more than a quarter of a tank left, car is going over 40 MPH and is running at 2000+ RPM. If you’ve got an OBD scanner that can access sensors then you should see a catalytic converter sensor (unsure if it’s called this on every app as I’ve only used the one) that’s over 400+ degrees Celsius when the car is doing a regen.

hope this helps someone, I’ve had it not regen from glow plug faults, EGR faults, exhaust back pressure faults and a few more unfortunately and the two DPF codes mentioned above have always been present and gone once the other errors have been fixed and it can regen itself. If the DPF has become really blocked then it may need to be cleaned as well so finding a garage that can do a DPF assessment is my recommendation. DPFdoctor verified garages (Don’t know if this is in the US but is definitely in the UK) can definitely do this as well as find out what codes you have that may be stopping the regen in the first place.

The following users liked this post:
allenm324 (06-24-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 02:12 AM
christianmic
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Liampaddick
From my experience (Not a mechanic, just someone that has had a lot of DPF issues with their R56 SD! The code that isn’t the DPF code is the issue. The car so t regen the DPF if there are any errors in the system so once that is fixed the car should be able to do one if the right conditions are met.

These conditions being, more than a quarter of a tank left, car is going over 40 MPH and is running at 2000+ RPM. If you’ve got an OBD scanner that can access sensors then you should see a catalytic converter sensor (unsure if it’s called this on every app as I’ve only used the one) that’s over 400+ degrees Celsius when the car is doing a regen.

hope this helps someone, I’ve had it not regen from glow plug faults, EGR faults, exhaust back pressure faults and a few more unfortunately and the two DPF codes mentioned above have always been present and gone once the other errors have been fixed and it can regen itself. If the DPF has become really blocked then it may need to be cleaned as well so finding a garage that can do a DPF assessment is my recommendation. DPFdoctor verified garages (Don’t know if this is in the US but is definitely in the UK) can definitely do this as well as find out what codes you have that may be stopping the regen in the first place.
in my case the problem was related to engine glow plugs (two of them broken and stuck)