R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 2010 Mini Cooper S Camden

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 08:34 AM
Shotgun_banjo
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
2010 Mini Cooper S Camden

Been lurking around here for some time now and I decided to start looking at owning a mini Gen 2 specifically a 2010 Cooper S Camden "chatterbox". The car that I am eyeing for has 150,000 kilometers on the motor. Any known issues that I need to look out for or any concerns that I need to have when looking at this car with this kind of mileage? I am expecting this as my hobby car so I know I need to get my hands dirty with it.

Also, maintenance wise what are the things that I can do myself and on what enthusiast interval (not factory) should I do for the fluids, How about the ATF? should it be changed? Is this an endeavor I should leave to the skilled mechanic or can I do it? When do the turbo and motor needs to be cleaned for gunk?

Does the second generation mini still have the problem with the mushrooming mounts?

Old 05-02-2017, 12:13 PM
Wanderlustsrt
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get a 2011 and up, different engine in them (N18 not the N14), slightly less issues.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:39 PM
Shotgun_banjo
3rd Gear
This car is only 6k.....so seems like a good deal.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:44 AM
Shotgun_banjo
3rd Gear
Okay so after debating and test driving a bunch of cooper, S and even some JCW I decided that for the sake of sanity and longevity + budget I would go for just a cooper hatch. I found one a pristine 2007 automatic 10/10 exterior and interior (no joke it looks brand new!) and only has 62k on the motor. 60k maintenance was done 2 months ago. The owner was a pilot and did not have time to drive it a lot but maintained it well. I am picking it up in 5 days as he left today for a flight and will be back next week.....and get this I am getting it for $4600 only. The car has the following: carbon black leatherette interior, heated front seats, air conditioning, panoramic sunroof, keyless entry, lights package, heated windshield washer nozzles, anthracite roof lining, automatic xenon headlights, 17 alloy wheels with 3 months old run flat (first thing to go after a few months)

So before I start putting aesthetic stuff to make it personalize what are the things that I need to do to make sure this car even though have very low clicks on the motor won't give me a headache later on as I am planning to keep this car for a long time and maybe pass it on to my kids.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:25 AM
Wanderlustsrt
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well at 40K miles (about the same as your number of km) I wouldent expect much wrong but it is 10 years old so watch all wear items like hoses and belts (because they can dry rot). You probably dont need to replace them but watch them. Plugs are a very cheap change as they may have never been changed, if they just did service maybe they changed them you may want to look up recommended 40K mile service online. Obviously have someone else start the car cold while you watch the exhaust to see if you see anything abnormal on startup. Make sure transmission is ok when you test drive it. Mini's have timing chain issues too but if its 10 years old in theory if it had an issue its fixed by now. May want to see how old battery is (its usually stamped on it).

Old 05-05-2017, 03:56 AM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Keep an eye out for leaks. Even with low miles you can get leaks at the thermostat housing (blue coolant leaks on top of transmission housing), water pump (drips under car near right front wheel), oil filter housing (drips down front of engine right above where the exhaust goes under the oil pan, and turbo oil line (on top of turbo).

On a sunny day, check inside the engine bay and under the engine to see what is there, then clean it all. Some of the leaking can be serious (turbo oil line), others are just annoying.

Learn how to check the oil, the dipstick can be hard to read, and keep an eye on the coolant reservoir. There is lots of info on this forum if you want to do some searching and reading.

Congrats on your purchase, enjoy the MINI!

Have fun,
Mike

Old 05-06-2017, 09:36 PM
Shotgun_banjo
3rd Gear
Change of plans. I pulled out on the deal, change of heart on my part. Somehow my demon side is telling me to spend few more $$$ and get a 2011 S instead. The hunt is on.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:44 PM
Shotgun_banjo
3rd Gear
So hunt is still on and seems like it takes forever to find the right mini.

As much as I like not to look at 2007-2010 mini "s" I am tempted to look at them because of the cost that they have on the market. A few more $$$ then I can get a fully loaded S but the timing chain problem is really making me think twice about it. Lets say if the car has the timing chain replaced is there a way for this problem not to happen again? Is it true that the only solution or "band-aide" solution is a weekly oil check on the motor and don't let it go low? or even if you don't let it starve it with oil will it still be a problem? Also if I find on the service records that the timing chain has not been replaced and I find no noise on the car should I still be concerned and get it replaced?

Old 05-12-2017, 08:45 PM
Shotgun_banjo
3rd Gear
I bought my first mini YEY!!!! 2007 justa chili red-white roof-white mirror caps with 77k on the motor. On my way home I also picked up a R85 S-Lite (or S-Spoke) rim for $60 (all 4) and planning on refinishing them to look spanking new. I need to buy center caps for the rims so question is will these caps fit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Car-Alloy-...dVS51D&vxp=mtr

Also I am going for non-run flats what is the best tire size for this rim?