R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Hopefully fixed warping hood scoop for good (bolted it!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 04:37 PM
bettehead
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hopefully fixed warping hood scoop for good (bolted it!)

Hi folks . 2009 Mini Cooper S with maybe a history of six or seven chrome hood scoops . Even with Mini insulation kit they warped . The dealer stopped replacing them at some point and we all know they're damned pricey. I got an M7 aerogel blanket which helped immensely . Got one more scoop and it warped , although a lot more slowly . First the chrome coating peeled , so I just got a plastic stick on overlay which worked until it warped so much that the bracket the single screw (under the hood ) goes into broke off. I tried separating the overlay from the scoop, but that 3M sticky stuff really works. I chipped away the hood scoop right where it lies on the hood at the top. This was where it was not lying flush on my car. It wasn't a pretty process and some of the chrome on the overlay peeled a bit. I later glued it down. I literally drilled a hole and put a bolt straight through it and tightened it down so that the hood scoop was nice and flat as it once was. I should also mention I put new scoop hardware on... those little plastic clip things.Most of mine were broken . So with new clips and the bolt it's not going anywhere. Now of course I had a giant screw on the top of the scoop. But I was ready for this I had some Chrome screw covers from those old license plate frames with caps included. I glued one of those on and voila. I have a little button thing sticking up now, but I think I can live with it at least for a while. I'll shine up the scoop and clean off the excess glue once it dries. I also lightened up the scoop by removing the black insert in the opening. The overlay had one anyway.

Here are a couple of photos. I also installed a new mirror that I got gently used on eBay. I smashed my passenger side mirror. The electrical connector is wrong, but I just move the mirror with my fingers. It came with the Chrome cap. Also replaced on my windshield wiper rubber.

Last edited by bettehead; 05-07-2017 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:40 PM
bettehead
3rd Gear
I'm having trouble posting a photo ....will keep trying ....

Old 05-07-2017, 04:42 PM
bettehead
3rd Gear

Hope this works !

Here it is...will clean excess glue and shine up tomorrow

Old 05-07-2017, 04:44 PM
bettehead
3rd Gear

Not too noticeable from a distance . Damn that ot started to rain though !