R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Knock off headlights

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 08:18 AM
chappybmode
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Knock off headlights

I had some front end damage that I finally got around to repairing. I was looking around the interwebs, and found some lights on Ebay. I wouldn't usually trust knock-offs for this sort of thing, but the headlights were 240$ shipped and the fog lights were 127$ shipped. Essentially I was able to replace all the lights on the front for 367$. This was too cheap to pass up. Here are some results.

1) Expect to do some wiring. The LED's on both sets of lights require a 12V power source. I tapped into the orange marker lights on the fenders for this source. This way the lights would only be on when the cars lights were on.

2) The fog lights fit the stock mounts perfectly. The headlights were tight, and needed a little adjusting, but no modification.

3) The headlights needed adjusting as the light was out of focus and the difference between high beam and low beam didn't exist. These come with H11 bulbs per the item description. Our mini's factory come with H13's. I haven't actually checked if the lights I got had 11's or 13's.

4) The fog light LEDs are stupid bright. They are the type used in light bars. I can drive with just these. (I don't of course)

5) Build quality seems high. I have waited over a month to do a review. No condensation or moisture has made it into these lights.

Overall, I am very pleased with this purchase! I think they look awesome and they have performed better than the price.

Also, this was my first time attempting to paint with a compressor. I painted the bumper, wheel arches, and hood. I think it came out well.

Attached Thumbnails Knock off headlights-fog-lights-1.jpg   Knock off headlights-headlights-2.jpg   Knock off headlights-headlights.jpg  
Old 05-18-2017, 09:17 AM
cargusjoh
4th Gear
Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts
Cool! Glad your paint and lights came out well! Can you please post a description w ewould look for to buy them ourselves? The fog lights are tempting!

Thanks!

Old 05-18-2017, 07:20 PM
bcriverjunky
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
This morning I had a MINI come up from behind me with these fogs and they are super bright! My next mod.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:53 PM
Scooter24
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Have a link to the fog lights?

Old 05-19-2017, 12:42 PM
miniuy
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Best aftermarket headlights IMHO.
I have the same headlights in black.

Enjoy your night trips!